FAC Air Rifles

BobWright

I have just been searching for FAC Air Rifles, to research, not to buy. I was disappointed to see the majority of them were less than 35ft lb...what is the point? Some were undisclosed and one was 50-80ft lb, but the majority out of 4 manufacturers were very underpowered for me, seeing as they are FAC.

Anyone know of any manufacturers? plus which makes are the easiest to get uprated to FAC?...Some of them prices......!!

Depends on calibre, for .177 the most is probably about 30, .25 up to about 50. I would imagine at over that either consistency starts to drop off or the rifle becomes very hard/expensive to manufacture.

For the same reason, be careful contemplating buying a non-FAC with a view to converting it. A gun designed to shoot accurately at 12 ft/lbs could just fall apart if pushed too far but that depends on the gun. You would need to check it out with a gunsmith for the specific gun you plan to upgrade as some guns are also fitted with anti-tamper devices to stop people doing this. Also bear in mind if it's a PCP you'll get less shots per charge.

Besides that if you have a FAC then most people start to look at rim and centre fire if they want to extend the range they can shoot at.

If you want that much power why not look at something like a .17 HMR or a .22LR with a good moderator, especially if you have your FAC? I use a moderated .22 and wouldn't go back to an air rifle except for roosting pigeons in an enclosed area!

. I was disappointed to see the majority of them were less than 35ft lb...what is the point?

Between 25-35ftlb is ample power for a fac air rifle,if your looking for more power than this get,a Hmr or .22Lr as already advised.Too much power will not compensate on getting basics right :lol: cant imagine why anyone would want a air rifle putting out 80ftlb ? I had one putting out 30ftlb and sent it back to get it reduced to 23ftlb, i found i had too many runners on 30 ft lb but once it was reduced,they just rolled over,and i shot a massive amount of rabbits in a three year period with that rifle :rolleyes: and as already stated,you wount get a massive amount of shots with fac air,and you will find you may need to use,quite a heavy pellet,i always used Bisley magnums,did try Accupell but even at 23ftlb it blew the skirts out :rolleyes: BB

Aware of a fair number of FAC Air rifles

High power 50FP are mainly for States - Bench Resting

where the Gun is often connected to Air bottle

Which seems to be main use of them

UK use is often around 30FP with .177

There are a growing number of FAC Rated pellets Around

And around 40FP for .22

Yes main issue is shot count per fill

But taking into account that on most shoots - you would be lucky to get 20-30

Shots -

As the country get's more built upon - Air Gun's are coming into their own again

BOB/R

FAC air rifles, 177 30ftlb a bit OTT if you ask me that pellet has got to be shifting to put out that power.Its got to be an 11grn pellet doing 1100 fps that works out to be about 29 flb. Far too fast for any pellet that i know to be any where near accurate, should be more like 20ftlb.

22 cal well this is more like it, you can go up to 30grn or stick to you average weight pellet or a tad over say 18grn and be good at say 35 ftlb and the pellet doing about 950fps.

with FAC air its all about the speed of the pellet some just will not go that fast.

FAC air is good in some cases,it gives you the edge as far as correction for hold over at long range shots due to a flatter trajectory with practice it gives you more range, 60-70 even 100 yard shots with years of practice are more possible but at a cost.

and just for the few i dont posses a tin hat, dont need one.

you will find all your needs with some thing in the region of about 35flb as said before.

there used to be a company not far from me that did 50cal air weapons at 300ftlb, but a tad OTT for the quarry your after,and pricey

ATB

Edited by Dougy

I have just been searching for FAC Air Rifles, to research, not to buy. I was disappointed to see the majority of them were less than 35ft lb...what is the point? Some were undisclosed and one was 50-80ft lb, but the majority out of 4 manufacturers were very underpowered for me, seeing as they are FAC.

Anyone know of any manufacturers? plus which makes are the easiest to get uprated to FAC?...Some of them prices......!!

Bob W are u the same Bob that had that black pup off me??If so PM me your requirements and Ill give you the cheapest options

Most `177 fac air-rifles are around the 17 to 20 ftlb range.

Ive had a few FAC air in the past,and have now settled for my second .22 at 30 ftlb rapid 7.not to much and not to low.using bisley magnum pellets ,i find it a great tool to use,where my rimfire i find might be to much. also have a bog standard 22 rapid knocking out 12 ftlb. both get used when needed.

As for power i wouldnt go above 30-35 ftlbs for air rifle, if you do,like the rest of the guys say, get a rimmy,,simple.

Mick