armed tresspass!

enemyofthecrow

whats the sort of trouble my mate can expect to get into if he gets caught by the plod creeping about with his airgun on farmland and woodland whos ownership is unknown??? i can see why he would want to go out poaching/tresspassing whatever you will call it as shooting is quite hard to come by depending on your circle of friends/where you live.

whats the sort of trouble my mate can expect to get into if he gets caught by the plod creeping about with his airgun on farmland and woodland whos ownership is unknown??? i can see why he would want to go out poaching/tresspassing whatever you will call it as shooting is quite hard to come by depending on your circle of friends/where you live.

Loads of it i hope, and a good bit a jail time too with a bit of luck :welcomeani:

Something like 5 years for armed tresspass if memory serves me right, the attitude of just helping yourself imo is what makes farmers so reluctant to let genuine blokes access to there land.

Some poachers show total disregard to property and perhaps some landowners may tar the decent and the not so decent with the same brush, can hardly blame them really.

edit

this might make him think twice

Statute Law

The Penalties for breaking current UK firearms laws with Airguns are as follows:-

Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.

Trespassing with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

Possessing or using an air weapon if sentenced to 3 months or more in custody 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

In addition if original sentence up to 3 years 5 year ban on use of firearms.

Or if for 3 years or more Life ban on use of firearms.

Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised £5,000 fine.

Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway £1,000 fine.

Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to person under 17 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.

Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 £1,000 fine.

Having air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years imprisonment.

Having air weapon with intent to endanger life Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.

Using air weapon to resist or prevent arrest Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.

Threatening others with an air weapon (even if unloaded) to cause them to fear unlawful violence 10 years imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.

Not forgetting the chance of being shot and killed by the police should you not obey instructions when challenged by them, they cannot tell if you have just an airgun or a more lethal firearm so will treat all arms as lethal and respond accordingly

Edited by col2

On one of my permissions, there is a public bridleway that runs across the back end of it. I take it this is classed as a public place, and I ought to steer clear of it when stalking pigeons with a loaded air rifle in my hands?

Also regarding the ''shooting an airgun within 15m of a public highway'' - I thought it was only illegal to do this if you cause a nuisance/disturbance to drivers/user of said road?

Can anyone clarify on these 2 points?

In addition to the above-an airgun is considered loaded if there is a pellet in the breach-if its a spring powered gun it doesnt have to be cocked to be classed as loaded.

It doesn't even need one in the breech, in fact you can even be prosecuted if you have no ammo at all on you.

It is illegal to:

Carry a loaded or unloaded airgun or imitation firearm in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. Trespass in a building or on private land with an airgun whether it is loaded or whether or not you have ammunition.

On one of my permissions, there is a public bridleway that runs across the back end of it. I take it this is classed as a public place, and I ought to steer clear of it when stalking pigeons with a loaded air rifle in my hands?

Also regarding the ''shooting an airgun within 15m of a public highway'' - I thought it was only illegal to do this if you cause a nuisance/disturbance to drivers/user of said road?

You're right on both counts, in fact if you use the bridleway to access another part of the land yourself, the gun must go back in it's slip too.

It is an offence to fire any weapon within 50 feet of the centre of any roadway, if by doing so you cause a nuisance. This offence could be committed by someone on private property close to a road who used a gun in a way which upset people on the road.

Got to be a wind up

You are correct about the 'causing nuisance' bit. For some reason, a lot of shooting books say 50ft from the centre of a road. They always miss out the bit about causing nuisance, which is actually correct.

not a great lot my brother got done a few years a go with 3 air rifles in his car and a rabbit while on industral site early hrs of the morning they took the guns and lamp off him but got them bk 2 days later with a caution no record but depends were u live most lykly he was onli keeped 4 afew hrs wish they keeped him longer

Edited by northeastshooter

not a great lot my brother got done a few years a go with 3 air rifles in his car and a rabbit while on industral site early hrs of the morning they took the guns and lamp off him but got them bk 2 days later with a caution no record but depends were u live most lykly he was onli keeped 4 afew hrs wish they keeped him longer

was this south curch ind est ?

If he's from a disadvantaged background, lives on a council estate and ill educated he'll probably get the rifle swapped for a playstation and all sorts of other nice things he's been deprived of.

.. if he is from a disadvantaged background and lives on a council estate he has probably done more shooting that most of us!