Chespeake bay retrievers

henry d

Chespeake bay retrievers are a real one man dog- I'm sure you'll find loads of info. on-line about the breed. They were used at one stage to haul in overboard fisherman from the harshest northern seas as well as nets centuries ago. So they're well able anything the wildfowling situation will throw up- strength and cold endurance are they're biggest assets.they can even deal with ice .However leave them at home if your going to a nice formal shoot, generally they don't mix well with other canines you need also to be on top of them at all times & they make good guard dogs too. Try to get one as a puppy to establish your own guidelines and it makes it a whole lot easier to introduce it to your springer.

Chessies are very tough dogs, that usually do not take to other dogs well. they are difficult to train in comparison to other retriever breeds, and usually are only a one owner dog. If you have children consider another breed as they either become over protective of the children to the point that you nor their friends will be able to rough house with them as someone usually gets bitten, or will take offence to them.

I have owned 2 chessies in the pass and both have been exceptional waterfowl dogs, plying the waters of Lake Erie right through the winter storms and never getting cold. However with three small kids at this time I will wait to own another.