.220 Swift or 22-250?

Frank

A mate wants either a swift or 22-250. He lives in Ireland so cant reload by law :) .

He is mainly going to use it for foxes and the occasional roe in Scotland.

Of the 2, which is the best?

The swift for some reason, is less problamatic to licence, but the .22-250 can be done.

Which one is best, or are they very similar?

Thanks. <_<

I would have a scout around the gun shops and find out the availability of ammo for either rifle, and then go with that.

Both are horrendously over the top as far as power is concerned (unless you are looking to try and shoot them a 400 yds) so why not a .222 or a .223 or are they illegal in Ireland???

I remember someone telling me something about not being able to get a .222 or .223 over there but can’t remember why. :)

You could always try for a .243 which, in my opinion, will do just about everything the 22-250 will do, but with a greater range of bullets.

Buy one with a 1-10 twist and use anything from 55 grn bullets up to 100 grns. Great for fox with 55s and brilliant for Roe with 95s.

G.M.

.223s and .222s are not that easy licenced over here in Ireland. .223 being a militiry,

dont know why the .222 is not B) , is it a military round I wonder?

The swift ammo is more freely available than .22-250.

Is their much of a difference in the two?

Do the swift cases hang up in the magazine if not loaded the right way?

My mate likes to reach out their to them wary foxes and kill them humanely,

thats why it has to be a swift or 22-250 :devil: .

Forget about .243, it could take up to a year to get one licenced and you have to get a deer permit first, which is hard enough too <_< .

308, Nooooo chance :huh: , another military :) .

Thanks so far. ;)

Edited by Frank

6.5, will do everything the 22-250 will do and everything the 243 will do, and most of what the 308 does, its non millitary to this country and accurate as anything.

it is easy to reload, well known for its bench rest accuracy, and in my experiance not bullet fussy.

it is deer legal, can take Reds at the correct distance.

there really is nothing that is wrong with it....

As a matter of fact I myself am in the prosses of going for a 6.5 x 55.

In order for me to get one I have to give a very good reason, reason being deer hunting.

I first have to apply for a deer permit, which I have done and am waiting to see if I get it. This takes in its self up to 2 months. In order for me to apply for a deer permit I have to get written permisions from various farmers I know who have a deer problem. It has to be proven to the wildlife department that these deer are causing damage to crops, grass ect. and that their numbers need to be culled.

I then have to fill in the application form with the details and post it to the wildlife

depatment along with the written permisions.

Once you get the deer permit, you go to the gun shop, select your rifle, put a deposit on it, bring details of rifle on paper which is sighned by the shop owner to my local police station (known as the garda station here in Ireland).

Depending on what area you are in, but in general, it can take anything from 6 months to a year before you get your rifle permit from the local police.

So my mate does not want to shoot deer in ireland, but only foxes. He will go to Scotland at the most twise a year, to shoot roe.

Does the swift have a rimmed case that makes it jam in the magazine?

I think his eventually going to go for the Swift, it wil be less hassell free and their is more ammo available for it over here.

Apart from Remington and Ruger, which other rifle manufacture makes this particular caliber, the Swift?

Thanks. :)

Notoriously  <_<

:) Gemini, you are bashing your head against a very thick wall mate.

In the "Mixi Rabbits" thread we have some emune rabbits.

I have long been convinced that the majority of people under a certain age just put down the first letter that comes to mind that might sound correct. :<

Zeroed in my new scope this afternoon on my 22-250, 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Zeroed it 1" high.

The first 2 shots I fired with it after zeroing took this dog fox at 200 yards and the hare at 150, both in the head.

17084906_20cedf8a3f_b.jpg

I guess it works!

Mark.

Nice shooting M Robson :) , well done <_< .

That 22-250 CZ looks good and shoots good too by the looks of it :devil: .

Do you find it noisy?

Whats the 22-250 like for cleaning, they are ment to along with the swift, copper foul badly? What is your personall experiences with your CZ?

Thanks. :huh:

Frank,

I think it's a great gun, mind you I've only had it a year and fired around 50 shots through it so I'm no expert.

I don't really notice the noise, kick etc, when I'm shooting, I'm concentrating more on what I'm shooting at. Why does the noise matter anyway? When it comes to noise pollution a bang is a bang weather its from a 22-250, a swift or whatever. It doesn't scare deer away as I shot 3 bucks one afternoon all withing 1/2 a mile of each other.

Mark.

Ok Mark, thanks for that.

I must say your 22-250 has impressed my mate and me :) . Unfortunately, it is going to be harder to licence than the .220 Swift. So i think his going for the swift.

I dont think theirs much of a difference in the two, except prehaps the Swift cartrige

case being rimmed.

Anyone out their who has a Swift and can comment on this? Thanks.

Mark, thank you very much for your imput, I myself, like the look of that CZ you have a lot, and the .22-250 appeals to me too. It seems a very accurate round.

I have a .204 as I have mentioned before, and find that deadly out to 300yds on foxes. It cant be used for deer, so i am in the prosses of trying for a 6.5x55 for that purpose.

If my local plod for some strange reason , wont let me have a 6.5 :devil: , then it looks like a 22-250 in CZ. <_<. I will use it for roe in Scotland and long range foxes.

One more thing, is the groups you mentioned, from reloaded ammo, or factory stuff?

Thanks. :huh:

It was with Federal Ultra shok 55gr. I managed that group twice, I was quite chuffed with myself. I really like the gun and my new scope.

So far I've shot 6 Roe bucks, 6 Foxes and 6 Hares (not my normal Hare gun) and they've all been stone dead, I've yet to miss. Maybe I just put a voodoo on it! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON

Its great that you can shoot Hares in England this time of year, here in Ireland they are off limits till september, when they are in season.

Keep posting them great pics of your hunting sucsess with that lovely Cz 22-250 you have Mark. :D , Can I have it, only joking :lol: .