Re: A days' tuition with Carl Bloxham

Nicky T

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off to see Carl this week as it happens

Tell him I shall be having words on our next meeting. The missus and I went shooting again this weekend after our Friday session with him - she embarrased me yet again :lol:

Its a good job her gun has gone for some Carl recommended alterations this week, I can go and practice without her sniggering over my shoulder. :hmm:

There's only one way to control your "Event Anxiety", and that is to shoot more events.

The more you shoot, the less of a problem it becomes, it's that simple.

As your shooting improves, so will your confidence, you will be more inclined to "attack" the targets rather than thinking "Oh my gawd, how am I going to hit this one..??" :hmm:

You can spend night after night shooting thousands of targets using one of those silly "Dryfire" simulators, but you can't simulate the pressure and anxiety that comes with real live competition.

You need to challenge yourself, if you want to achieve anything in this sport you've got to get away from the Sunday morning "straw bale" events.

Cat.

There's only one way to control your "Event Anxiety", and that is to shoot more events.

The more you shoot, the less of a problem it becomes, it's that simple.

As your shooting improves, so will your confidence, you will be more inclined to "attack" the targets rather than thinking "Oh my gawd, how am I going to hit this one..??" :hmm:

You can spend night after night shooting thousands of targets using one of those silly "Dryfire" simulators, but you can't simulate the pressure and anxiety that comes with real live competition.

You need to challenge yourself, if you want to achieve anything in this sport you've got to get away from the Sunday morning "straw bale" events.

Cat.

I think I am doing that now. In the last year I've shot both the British Opens, the English Open, Both UK Grand Masters, Essex Masters, Essex County Champs, X-Factor FITASC at Hepworth Hall and visited 30 grounds, with only a handful of them being strawbalers.

I guess that one can't beat or fast track the 'time served' experience part of the game. ???

Tell him I shall be having words on our next meeting. The missus and I went shooting again this weekend after our Friday session with him - she embarrased me yet again :)

Its a good job her gun has gone for some Carl recommended alterations this week, I can go and practice without her sniggering over my shoulder. :rolleyes:

He's a stickler for perfection with regards to gun alterations. Hopefully having mine tweaked too after yesterdays enlightenment :angry:

Gun wise:

Throughout the day Carl looked at several things on the 682, continually adapting and adjusting the comb position and my head position, so that i learnt the affects of said alterations. He suggested that i look at a couple of things on the 682; namely the overall weight of it (a little too light for a dedicated clay gun) and the overall balance of it.

Looks like it's taking a trip down to Simon @ Doveridge in the not too distant future to get the above tweaks made as well as to treat it to a thoroughly deserved service :rolleyes:

Coaching wise:

It was a full on day of discovery!

Having mention to Carl that i'd like to work on birds below my feet prior to the day, we started off climbing up on top of his storage units and shooting a variety of birds from these positions; great fun and a throughly well worth while experience :)

Spent some valuable time on the pattern plate to assess the affect of the changes to the stock and/or head position and then got busy on a whole host of tricky targets.

Didn't break your clay record Pete, but got a heck of a lot out of it :angry:

Edited by Nicky T

Sounds very productive. <_< Chard and Anni will have to watch out. Well, unless you're shooting anywhere other than Worsley, then only Anni needs to watch out. :mad:

I shall be watching out dont you worry PDLM. I have a few tricks up me sleaves to counter any moves Nicky makes :P

Its the worsley club comp on saturday, we can go toe to toe :mad:

I shall be watching out dont you worry PDLM. I have a few tricks up me sleaves to counter any moves Nicky makes :P

Its the worsley club comp on saturday, we can go toe to toe <_<

No Worsley Club comp for me this month I'm afraid Anni - no shooter and actually enjoying (and benefitting) from a break from Worsley at the moment :mad:

I'll be out and about on 22nd though if you fancy another bash at Kingsley and Catton though :mad:

No Worsley Club comp for me this month I'm afraid Anni - no shooter and actually enjoying (and benefitting) from a break from Worsley at the moment ;)

I'll be out and about on 22nd though if you fancy another bash at Kingsley and Catton though :mad:

I know what you mean Nicky, I'm abit bored of worsley and not really looking forword to saturday :P Much prefer having new challenges :mad:

I'm up for catton and kingsley on the 22nd <_< got unfinished buisness there :hmm:

I know what you mean Nicky, I'm abit bored of worsley and not really looking forword to saturday :)Much prefer having new challenges :blink:

I'm up for catton and kingsley on the 22nd :devil: got unfinished buisness there :hmm:

Come and shoot the All Round at Rufforth then :blink: One shoot - four disciplines, variety is the spice of life n' all that! B)

• 5 weeks later...

After seeing Carls name thought I'd add a recommendation.

Had 3 lessons over a year and a half with him (one being last week), I was a complete starter on first lesson, now I'm alright(ish).

With two on us, we managed around 500-700 shots.

Top advice, clear, and he works to your skill level, pushes the aspects you want to push.

Usually booked solid a couple of months in advance, and shoots where ever you want, though we shoot at Long Marston.

Well worth it.

Joe

Good report!

I have had two all day lessons with Carl this year as one-on-one sessions.

Being relatively new to the sport (about 18 months) and having had excellent tuition from another coach in the Midlands I found that there were particular kinds of targets that I really struggled to hit - even slightly consistently. For me it was Rabbit and Midi tower targets. The personal tuition at a ground that has no one else at it enables complete freedom of both trap and shooting position - so I could start from a much easier angle for a given target and Carl could make it progressively more difficult. The last lesson I had back in November had the morning set aside for my challenging targets and the afternoon for consecutive simulated 60 bird rounds.

Carl is excellent, eternally patient and with a different approach to coaching because he shoots competitively himself - so all sorts of hints and tips. Getting through 500-600 carts in a day is pretty normal (24 grm 7.5 Eley Blues for me - and no bruise).

Carl is booked up absolutely months in advance so booking early is advisable!