?????Best pellets to use for .177 air rifle?????

D1zzle

Hi all

What do peeps recommend as a good vermin killing pellet for .177 air rifles? :good:

I have a BSA comet and is about 11lbs of power.

Have used pest controls but find there no good for long range shots, and where we shoot the pigeons get spooked very easy so need to shoot at about 40 - 50 yrds!!

Look forward to your help!! :good:

Hi all

What do peeps recommend as a good vermin killing pellet for .177 air rifles? :oops:

Have used pest controls but find there no good for long range shots, and where we shoot the pigeons get spooked very easy so need to shoot at about 40 - 50 yrds!!

That must be a very good BSA Comet and you must be a excellent shot to bring down pigeons at 50 yards

I would stick with JSB AA Daystates 8.44

Hi all

What do peeps recommend as a good vermin killing pellet for .177 air rifles? :huh:

You really need to get closer than that, about 25-30 with an air rifle. Yes pigeons and rabbits get spooked when close up but that is called field craft the ability to get close to your quarry if you cannot manage that then dont shoot. Even then you need head shots. Even with a shotgun you are looking at 40 yards max.

I find crop shots best for pigeons, have had pellets which I swear have bounced off their heads. One the other night was sat on the ridge of a barn and when I shot I heard the definite slap of pellet on bird (roof tile would have sounded different), the bird just flew off. A bit wobbly but still flying.

You really need to get closer than that, about 25-30 with an air rifle. Yes pigeons and rabbits get spooked when close up but that is called field craft the ability to get close to your quarry if you cannot manage that then dont shoot. Even then you need head shots. Even with a shotgun you are looking at 40 yards max.

Thought forum's were for friendly advise!! Clearly not the case here then :good:

I thought the post from Browning gts was fair and to the point-i doubt that many people on this forum would recomend shooting pigeons with a puffgun at over 40 yards-even at 30-40 yards you need to be pretty competant to be certain of a kill.An FAC airgun would be a wise investment if,for any reason,you cannot get close enough for a certain lethal shot.

I agree that you need to get much closer with a sub 12 ft/lb gun, especially a springer. You should be going for headshots always and never the crop. Pellets do not bounce of pigeon heads but they can bounce off the crop. Practise on targets first until you can consistently get sub 1 inch groups and then stick to that distance.