Farewell Benson

lord_seagrave

When I mentioned this to a carp fishing friend. he told me that, "Because the carp had been brought into the country at a sustantial weight, some of the carp fishing factions were not happy to see the British record go to a foriegn fish." There was, he told me, mumblings in some quarters of "getting rid of the fish".

The plot thickens, was it manslaughter or murder?

TC

Have you ever walked a match length on any river /canal and see the vast number of dead fish that have been tipped back after the weight in, some of these to would have grow to be a lot bigger if left unmolested.

did **** return his record fish from where it came from ??

was he not the grandfather of modern carp fishing who if he had it at the time used all the modern gear available to him.?

Iam not a carp angler any more as the games not what it used to be.

as for fishing the pants of me with a stick float in your dreams, as was taugh by 2 of the countrys best, dave thomas, frank barlow, 2 of the best centre pin users ever born.and

Murdered by the fanatics which immortilised him that is indeed a cruel irony

Benson was a female by the way.

:hmm: The games not what it used to be is that not a sort of admission that I am right??? :hmm:

Repect to Dave & Frank two fine winkle pickers on he Northern Canal and Midland stew pond curcuits. I can only thank the immortal Mr Crabtree for my tuition :hmm:

Biggest fish i have caught to date is a 11lb 7oz Common Carp from Duches lake bottom of the M32.

I dont mind doing an overnighter fishing for carp as it is a bit of a boys outing to be honest, and i do like messing about with different bits and bobs to make my own bait...but nothing i enjoy more is fishing the Avon to be honest.

Nothing caught of any size other then a 7lb mirror carp which stripped my line off down by Frys, but i fully enjoy not only the fishing but the added wildlife you get along the river bank.

Not to say that i wouldnt miss an opportunity to try to catch some monster fish to be honest be it in a Lake or a River

But any fish is better then no fish on the day :hmm:

Realtree must love carp fisher folk, cammo flasks, cammo boilie tubs, cammo bed chairs and even cammo remote control boats to take the bait 120m away from the fish they are hiding from as they cant cast that far. :good:

Edited by digger

I have caught carp in Bulgaria, Romania and the US that had never seen a boilie, or high protein bait and they were up to 32lbs in weight.

They are voracious feeders and in the right environment (they also like it warm) will grow to large weights.

Its customary to knock the instant carp anglers/bivvy brigade that exists now and mourn the passing of the par boiled potato (usually fished with a treble hook in the early days :good: ), but as long as they are causing no harm to anyone , whats the problem ?

Coarse fish are regularly caught (especially from enclosed waters) and returned to the water with no ill effects.

Most are handled carefully and carp get special treatment with padded unhooking mats and even antiseptic products to help heal hook marks, or any scale damage.

It should be enough that we are all anglers and each to their own.

Can someone answer a serious question please?

Do these huge carp put the weight on naturally, or by being fed up with boilies?

At risk of contradiction I would say in my honest opinion that the native british fish in an unfished water would probably get to early twenties possibly 30 with the right environment depending on competition and fish levels

The big fish which are caught in the majority of commercial or syndicated carp waters are packing on weight on a diet of which the majority is non natural food. Many of these fish are also bred and reared for the stew pond. BIG Fish change hands for serious money.

Carp fishing is a multi million pound business now and every month new must have gadgets arrive on the scene.

In all seriousness I dont knock another mans pleasure but I dont consider it Angling in the sporting sense of the word but thats just my Opinion.

Just by coincidence last week on a well known local pit.... I caught a 9lb common on a £28.00 ABU waggler rod whilst fishing a evening session for tench.

The guy next to me was form Middlesex he had been 3 days ...YES 3 days! without a Carp on the bank and he was well ****** off with me.

His three rods alone were £1200 each and his reels he tells me were £500 each I dont know if that was just ******** but it just illustrates the how the big companies are taking Carp Anglers for a ride.

It is sad indeed, however whole range of events may have led to its death.................age, stress, low oxygen levels, un-prepared baits as everyone suspects, wait till they`ve cut it open & diagnosed the cause :good:

Covered in detail on my fishing forum (won`t name it)

When I mentioned this to a carp fishing friend. he told me that, "Because the carp had been brought into the country at a sustantial weight, some of the carp fishing factions were not happy to see the British record go to a foriegn fish." There was, he told me, mumblings in some quarters of "getting rid of the fish".

The plot thickens, was it manslaughter or murder?

TC

CARPIOCIDE!!!!! :good::blush: