URGENT Frontera Help Needed.

Frenchieboy

I'm hoping that one of you guys might be able to help with a problem that developed last night. I have a 1995 Frontera Sport 2.0 (Petrol) which, up till last night was running perfectly. I went out to a hill farm to try for a fox or two but half way up the track to the farm I had to pull up to check out a large bird of prey (It was a Turkmanian Eagle Owl that had escaped from someones aviery) To cut a long story short I managed to get the bird on my fist and into the motor where it decided to sit on the dash board which "threw my concentration" a little and hence I forgot that I had left the motor parked in gear when I went to start the engine. The result was that the motor just jerked forward and that was that. I took it our of gear and went to start it but there was nothing happened, all the usual lights came on but when I tried to spin the engine over on the key there was nothing, it was just as if the starter was jammed but without the "click" form the solenoid. I managed to get it started by bump starting it in reverse and went on up and sorted the Eagle Owl out. When I returned to the motor and went to start it nothing happened. The usual lights came on (Ignition, oil, etc) plus the Orange Enging Management Light but when I turned the key in to the "start" position there was nothing, not even a "click" from the solenoid! (At this stage I have to mention that the battery is in perfect condition) We had to tow the car quite a long way to get it started as it just did not want to even try firing up for quite a while. The engine management light stayed on until the engine eventually fired up and when the engine was running it went as smooth as a bell. It was only when the engine management light went out while tow starting it that the engine fired up. However, when I got home I shut the engine down and tried to start it on the key again but there was nothing. The one thing that I have noticed is that as soon as you turn the key to the start position the oil pressure guage shoots up to maximum pressure, even though the engine is obviously not running so there can be no oil pressure.

My mate and I had a good look around but could not locate any fault and there is nothing mentioned in the "Haynes" workshop manual refering to this. Does anyone have any experience of this or can you point me in the best direction to locate the fault please!

Nick's spot on there... They helped with a number of issues I had with my Frontera B.

I can safely say that I have not heard of your problem though, but it does sound a lot like the solenoid is a bit iffy.

Make a note for the future... No leaving in gear.

Thanks for that Guys, I'm just waiting for confirmation of registration on www.fronteraowners.co.uk

I am inclined to think that it is solenoid related but the thing that I can not understand is why, when I turn the key to the start position the oil guage needle goes "off the clock" (past maximum pressure) without the engine even running. I'm sure that this has something to do with the problem, unless this is a side effect of the problem, could it be effecting the engine management unit?

With regards to "Not starting the engine in gear again" it's easier said than done when you have a huge Eagle Owl flying free in the car and you don't know that particular birds traits! This one was so large that when it spread its wings it covered the full width of the windscreen. Luckily it was hungry and quite placid as I had to wrap a towel round my hand and wrist for protection should the bird have turned nasty as I did not have one of my hawking gauntlets with me or anything in the car to teather it to. Fortunately this bird decided to sit on the back of the front passenger seat and just glare at me asking for food!

I think you may have fried your engine earth lead, do you have some jump leads? yes hopefully! connect the negative ( black) lead ONLY to the negative battery terminal, now connect the other (negative) end to a solid clean metal point on the engine, bearing in mind the bits that rotate (if you try to turn the engine over) and switch on your ignition, do the gauges now work as they should? if so look around for the earth strap remove and clean the ends refit and try the starter, ( or replace if you've really bust/fried it) :good:

Edited by Paul223

Thanks for that Paul. I will try that shortly when my mate gets here with his heavy duty jump leads! I should add that I have already checked every fuse on the car and they are all in order and the battery is in perfect condition!

I still can't work out why the oil pressure guage shoots up to full pressure when you try to start the engine, even though the engine does not even turn over! Thinking about it though, it is posible for the oil pressure switch to give an improper reading if the engine isn't earthing properly I surpose which could effect the engine management system!

Edited by Frenchieboy

I had a brief flirtation with a Frontera.

I found the Frontera Owners Group very helpful and friendly. I sold a Frontera nudge bar to a Mod on there who actually sent me MORE money after he received it because "he was so pleased with it" ! - now that is honesty !

I was lucky enough to sell my Fronty on to a mate and now have a Shogun - which is much better :hmm::hmm:

Problem sorted! Thanks for your input guys, especially Miniwizard and Paul223, you were both spot on! When I ran a jump lead from the soleniod to the earth terminal on the battery the motor and electrics were perfect. To cure the problem I bought a new earth lead and ran it from the engine block to the body just inside the engine compartment where the battery earth strap bolts on to the body.

Anyhow, thanks a million guys!!!!

Just as a foot note, the Eagle Owl is back with it's rightful owner!

Edited by Frenchieboy