.17 HMR

Riothedog

Dear all :lol:

It's time for a variation on my FAC so I am in the market for a .17HMR and fancy a Weihrauch HW66 for bunny stuffing. Anybody else got one or are you all on Savages, Marlins and Rugers?

Ammo - has 20g hit the market yet or is it still 17g. Any preferences?

Used for ranges out to 120m so I am opting for an Meopta 1-12x50 with an illuminated reticule.

Comments on the back of a bonio to the usual address

Rio

my dad has a hw66 in 22, and its a fine rifle, its got quite a heavy barrel so shoots the groups, it is better built than any modern sako, its a little heavy on the lift of the bolt, but this gets better with use, fine guns for the money

i however do have a cz 452, which is a great gun, a little short in the stock, and the trigger is pretty nasty, nothing compared to the unit in the weihrauch, but it still shoots the groups, and its a bit less expensive.

i would say these are 2 of the main rifles you should consider for value for money

the meopta's are fine scopes, again my dad has one, a fixed power 7x50 on his hornet, its got great low light performance, the eye relief is not too fussy but is still well deffined when found.

again another great choice

no experiance with ammo im affraid,

good luck,

You should be OK to bring back ammo as long as you

1. Notify the airline in advance (Not all airllines will allow you to carry firearms/ammo)

2. Have it in a locked box

3. Have your firearms certificate with you

4. Allow extra extra time to get through customs at both ends

Hi riothedog

i have anshutz in .17HMR i use Hornady magnum rimfire 17gr varmint express with V-MAX bullet its polymer-tipped that does a lot of damage to rabbits hit them in the head and it explodes on impact takes half the head away.

:lol::D cheers Mike.

PS welcome to the site.

Edited by hawkeye

It's time for a variation on my FAC so I am in the market for a .17HMR and fancy a Weihrauch HW66 for bunny stuffing.  Anybody else got one or are you all on Savages, Marlins and Rugers?

What are you using at the moment mate...

You might find because of the characteristics of the .17 HMR the fire arms control officer might need to re-evaluate the suitability of the property you intend to use it on. Its not just as simple as applying for a variation Im afraid, at least it ceratinly isnt in this region and a recent application I made for a .17 hmr was extremely projected.

Dear all

Moderators - ask for Health ans safety and they can't refuse you. That's a fact. No evidence, but it's a fact.

Land that I'm on is a golf course that has been shot before, with a clay club on the far end. Next to a landing strip. Paper work has already gone off to Officer Dibble. Gawd help me!

Air rifle was out last night and it was hard work. If I was pulling a golf trolley 'round in the middle of the day then you can get within 3 yards of the *******. No golf bag, green jacket and a suspicious long bangy thing (with a mod, of course but you get the picture) and they are off. And they can see you coming from at least 150yards.

Thanks for all your advice and it looks like the Weihrauch for me as I am 6' 2" tall with a 48 inch chest and little rifles and me don't get on.

As for the Ammo in the states, I flew back from Phoenix and had no problem. It bullets for reloading, brass and primers. Goes in the hold, you have your FAC with you at all times, you declare it nicely to the right person. Don't pick on a trainee who is going to get all hysterical - it is contaigous. Ask to speak to the shift Supervisor or equivalent. I also explained that you need propellant to make it all work - little bit of bullsh*t and I said that's it's entirely up to you with where it goes.

Funny enough, I brought a Nightforce scope home with me as well as a McMillan stock - they're made in Phoenix and are dirt cheap. In comparison. The stock I could carry on board but the scope had to go in the hold as "It looks like it might go on a rifle"...

Strange folk them yankees.

Final point. If you are on your jollies and get the chance to bring home some ammo, always check it out with the airline first and get permission in writing. Or, you've got 1000 rounds, your're in the airport and some jobsworth says 'No'...

RTD