Suitable scope for .17hmr

stupidsalmon

Just as an aside SS, try not to go for one with huge magnification. It’s OK on an expensive scope with the right optics but bloody useless on a cheap scope.

The reason being that they won’t perform very well due to the glass not being as good, so you would be better off with something like a fixed 6X40 or a 3-9X50 and leave it on 7X.

I had a look through a Tasco scope once which went up to 24X power, and by the time you had cranked it up over 14X power it was so fuzzy you couldn’t see ****** all through it. :lol:

G.M.

Don’t know which one it was Nick but it was supposed to be a “Varmint” model (what ever that’s supposed to mean). Another friend had a 4-16X50 that was very good, but when you cranked up the power to 16X you also had to turn the parallax ring down to 20 yds, which didn’t make any bloody sense. :devil:

I have not long picked up a Weaver 3-9X50 which doesn’t have the parallax adjustment ring on the front, which means it is only the same size as a 40mm so I can use really low mounts.

On 9X power it is absolutely brilliant in the day and loses very little when the light fades. Turn it down to 8X power and you have the classic 6mm exit pupil, add to that really good glass and I have a scope that will extend my shooting way beyond the time that I can see without it.

Simmons are supposed to do something similar with their 30 minute extra thingy scope. But this really does perform.

Not as expensive as the really top-end scopes, but at £250 worth every penny.

G.M.

at the moment me and my father have a bit of a taste for the old swaro's

but im having trouble A) finding the money to fund one for my rimmy

B ) finding it difficult to justify it for that last 10mins extra that the few hundred exra gets you, dont get me wrong in my opinion they are the best scopes in the world, cannot be beaten, but my dad has a fixed 6x42 on his rimfire and to be honest it gets used to rarely its a shame (wounder if he would notice if i........ :ernyha::devil: )

i also want a vari power with a bit of power so i can use it for rimfire bench rest comps, and a vari swaro is silly money.

i think im just going to have to go and have a look at a tasco....its such alot less money its silly, and if its even half the scope its worth the price.

we will see, thanks for the help anyway gemini :devil: