nagging problem

pavman

My pup has retained a nagging habit; she will sit at her run door and bark for most of the day. My neighbours don’t complain too much but have said it can be a bit unpleasant.

I thought it was just as she is young (she is now 17 weeks) and would stop but as yet no luck. I invited the neighbours to come round so I could show them her quarters just in case they thought she was being miss treated in some way.

They where very impressed so I don’t have to worry that they may call the RSPCA. That said I am stuck as how to help her stop. I work 9am till 5pm and when home at weekends she is the same.

Within 15 mins of a walk/training/play time on being returned to the pen she starts, only stopping when napping on her deck or asleep in the kennel.

Anyone else had to deal with this? And how do I stop her please,

pavman

I had a dog that did this and never cured it. I did learn a few lessons though.

I worked out that the dog does not like to be on her own. She is barking for attention and wants to be with you - which is commendable, she loves you.

Cold showers, water pistols, electric collars, scoldings, beratings and beatings will do nothing but harm. You've got the right association for a really good dog that wants to please you. Remember that she is only 17 weeks old. Perhaps you should spend some time in the garden with her in the pen. Read the paper, mow the lawn - that kind of thing.

Dogs learn nothing in a pen.

RTD

Generally the cure for this is to totally ignore the pup when it barks i.e. be out of sight.

Only return when she stops barking giving her loads of praise etc etc, that way she will realise that barking does not work. You will have to be very well deciplined with this and not allow other family members or neigbours to give in. Tell you neighbours what you are planning to do.

This may take some time and patience but the important thing to do is only goto the pup when she stops barking.

Guys,

Thanks for the comments guys, I have been doing exactly as you describe since day one, I am not sure what the feeling is with regard to “toys” to keep her interest in other than barking. She has marrowbone to help her teeth and give her a chance to chew.

I have no problem ignoring her when she is barking, as the flip side is she gets good quality time during play and training, I just wish I could understand what she wants/means when she barks for so long

I gave her one of those puppy rubber type chew balls to play with……guess what she barked at it! So I had to take it away.

I always praise her when she is quite, if we are in the garden doing odd jobs and she behaves in her pen I tell her quietly good girl and general praise, I don’t raise my voice much above a stern, curt tone when she barks and just say something like….what’s all the fuss about steady down girl.

Once she settles it only takes 10 to 15 mins for her to start again.

pavman

I don’t raise my voice much above a stern, curt tone when she barks and just say something like….what’s all the fuss about steady down girl.

What you are doing here is rewarding the dog for barking.

ANY REACTION from you towards the pup when she is barking is a reward because she is getting attention. This keeps her quiet for 10-15mins then she wants more.

The only way to get round this is to leave her if she starts to bark and return when she stops. You will have to do this almost immediatly, hence I said it would take a lot of time and patience on your part.

Good luck.

I wonder how the Dr Dolittle story started.... perhaps a novice dog handler's wishfull thinking!

Remember dogs havn't a clue what a sentence is.

One word at a time i.e. NO, SIT, STAY, DOWN etc etc

what’s all the fuss about steady down girl

Can you imagine a toddler understanding that.

No pun intended.