What is the best field vehicle

shotgun666

No such thing as a single best vehicle. Unless you have tried every single 4x4 in all conditions I can't see how anybody can say one motor is better than the rest.

To decide on the best motor for you though we need to know your budget, how mechanically minded you are (some do go wrong suprisingly...) and what conditions you will be using it in.

I have a vitara and a disco and use each one at different times of the year and conditions and for very different jobs. We can use the vitara for the softer ground and in the reed area as well as the tight woods we have. The disco goes pretty much where we point it but does leave a mess if it is soft underneath. We also use it for humping heavy gear about on the farm.

We also have the use of a honda foreman quad in winter which goes absolutely everywhere without too much trouble.

Suzuki jimny :good: excellent off road capability, cheap to- buy, run, tax, insure, on parts and there are loads of mods available if you wish to go down the more serious ''4X4'' route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpaRF6qmTg

haha. This is near home in Athens. The mountain is Pedeli, a very beautiful mountain. Plenty of wildlife there too..

I had a Grand Vitara 20TD and I have a Suzuki Jimny now. Out of the 2 the Suzuki Jimny is best for what I do, I can get what I got in the back of the GV into the Jimny. The jimny is cheaper to run over all and it is higher off the ground and lighter. I would recumend this any day BUT the L200 Twin Cab pickup is also a mighty tool to be considered. GOOD LUCK

depends on the kind of shooting you do if its lamping then a pickup is unbeatable, simply because you can set up a pair of seats in the back and rest on the cab. Then if you have a canopy during the winter the dog etc can ride in the back and all the mess is kept out of the bit you have to sit in. If its general shooting then a Vitara takes a fair bit of beating for cost efficient 4x4

Hiya,...I dont use my 4 x 4 for shooting, except driving up to the farm...then I walk!! :lol:, but, I use it to tow my boat, have had it for over 5 years now, and its never let me down....its off road almost every weekend...sand, gravel, rocks, seaweed...and with the boat attached too.. :lol:

In fact a couple of weeks ago, my mate used his X5 to tow his Raider 18 down to the Mull Of Galloway...but it wouldnt look at the 12 in sandy beach...so, I used my Mitsubishi Challenger V6 24v 3ltr to launch and recover...it drives like a road car too, plenty of room, LOADS of power... and I can, and have slept in the back on a single bed mattress..:P:)

Might not be the most frugal of vehicles, but I get around 20mpg towing if I take it easy...tho', must admit, thats not very often..:P

Its now getting a bit long in the tooth now, but hardly surprising considering its done almost 130K, with almost 70K done by me,...and getting immersed up past the exhaust in sea water every weekend...I'm well impressed...:lol: Two weeks ago, I did nearly 800 miles in 4 days, towing the boat all over the west coast of Scotland..no problems at all..

BUT, as has been said, here and on other forums, everyone says that there 4x4 is the best..:P:)

Cant you try a few before you buy??..

towingtheraiderb.jpg

Its not too bad in the mud as well..:P

Asstd-pics484b.jpg

Edited by Norrie

The problem with Zuki Sj and jimmnys, is if you really want to get bogged down in mud upto the windows the 'four wheel drive' and the difflock locks the front axle and the rear axle indpendantly unlike in *ehem* a landrover where it has a central difflock.

But for fuel consumtion etc the jimmny is very good :hmm:

But a Landrover is still bigger and better :hmm:

Edited by EdwardtheloneShooter

With a pick up you have the added bonus of cheap road fund :good:

you can chuck the shot carcuses in the back and not worry about the mess,or smell :lol:

you can ride round standing in the back lamping :hmm:

and you can carry a tonne of shot rabbits without too much bother :lol:

IF you just want shooting car and for nothing else, tax exempt land rover but you wil have to be prepared to tinker,

road aswell td5 disco are good, i like land rovers and would go for a defender any day of the week,

apart from that jap pickup's do not break

and fortrak engin'e are good but the body's rust