What is the best field vehicle

shotgun666

Lada Niva. Cheap as chips, easy to fix, built to survive Siberian winters, look like a heap so no one wants to nick `em and provided you can take the abuse from your mates/work associates/shooting group/missus/kids are a damn good off roader for very little cash (£500 or less typically).

I only got shut of mine because the lad who wanted it offered me silly money I just couldn`t refuse!

As the Lada UK sticker says "Built for Siberia not Suburbia"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im looking at getting a 4x4 suitable for fields etc. ive always liked defenders but cannot afford one of them. Im thinking about a freelander as an alternative. is this a good vehicle to go for?

If you really want a defender, I rekon (or however it is spelt) you coud find a defender cheaper <_<

EDIT: are we talking second hand or new :lol:

Edited by EdwardtheloneShooter

If you really want a defender, I rekon (or however it is spelt) you coud find a defender cheaper <_<

EDIT: are we talking second hand or new :lol:

Second hand

Even a 1990 defender is in the region of £4000, which is out of my budget

I've had 4x4's for the last thirty odd years (and one XR3i) as everybody says it depends on what your circumstances are and I have never found just one to be the ultimate I loved my Range Rover V8 it went everywhere but when circumstances changed it had to go (cost), I've had Toyota Tercels truly amazing due to the light ground pressure mine went over Kinder up the Goyt valley and across fields you couldn't walk on when friends had shooting up there and it rusted like blazes.

Discoveries real enthusiasts cars but unless you have mechanical ability a big toolbox and a mig then the cheaper end is not going to be enjoyable brilliant on the roughest ground reasonable economy. My Disco had to go because my wife was struggling with the heavy clutch and I got a Subaru Outback to replace it. Fine car better ground clearance than most 4wd estates and as we shoot on Moss land it doesn't sink in badly and goes like a tomcat with the vet behind it . That will not do the job tho' if you intend to bounce over scree and ditches but a decent one will cost you less than £1500 my pal enjoyed his Vitara lwb it does the same thing bit more ground clearance not as quick higher seating position and same sort of money.

Im looking at getting a 4x4 suitable for fields etc. ive always liked defenders but cannot afford one of them. Im thinking about a freelander as an alternative. is this a good vehicle to go for?

depends if you can live without low range, diff lock and ground clearance.

If you want a defender, the next best thing for off road ability and cheapness is the discovery!

You made do all that searching for nothing :blush::hmm:

Vits are good, but landrover defenders are much better, hold their value :lol:

I looked through all them defenders! Im thinking that if I was going to get a defender it would have to be a relatively new one i.e. 6 years old max - but cant afford them sort of prices

vitaras are a cheaper alternative, with them being japanese i hope they will be reliable :(

Defender 90, preferably 200tdi or 300tdi (no BMW/Ford electronic stuff to go wrong). Parts are cheap and can be fitted by reasonable diy bod, body panels unbolt. They hold their price well. Scratches and dings just add charicter. Excellent off road capabilities. 70% of all Land Rovers made are still on the road.

Cheers ... FF ...

Defender 90, preferably 200tdi or 300tdi (no BMW/Ford electronic stuff to go wrong). Parts are cheap and can be fitted by reasonable diy bod, body panels unbolt. They hold their price well. Scratches and dings just add charicter. Excellent off road capabilities. 70% of all Land Rovers made are still on the road.

Cheers ... FF ...

sorry - being a landcruiser owner i cannot resist this:

"70% of all Land Rovers made are still on the road"

the other 30% got home again!

I must add, if you cant get your hands on a Defender 90 the next best off roader is a Landcruiser. Just as capable off road as a Defender & reliable too, but if they do go wrong then you will pay a lot to get it fixed. The advantage of a defender over its rivals is its simplicity. Good cars though Landcruisers.

If Carlsberg made 4x4's.....

.... it would still be a Defender.

i dont think there is a vehicle that is classed as the best field/off road vehicle, i believe its all down to personal preference,some people rate landrover others dont, others like the mitsubushis and toyotas

my personal opinion (for what its worth) as a mechanic who works for a large motoring organisation is this i wanted a vehicle which was cheap and reliable could comfortably carry 4 passengers and had enough room in the back for my weimaraner dogs, and i found the toyota hilux surf ticked all the right boxes

some may agree some may disagree but this car does everything i've ever asked it so in my humble opinion i would say the hilux surf ;):lol:

Landcruiser. Just as capable off road as a Defender

I shouldn't have thought so, when considering ramp breakover, approach and departure angles.

for example:

2008 Land Cruiser:

30 degree approach

20 degree departure

21 degree breakover angle

defender 90:

51 degree approach

53 degree departure

141 degree ramp breakover.

ramp breakover angles are calculated differently, with defender being measured on the included angle and the LC the excluded angle.

most 4x4's with difflock and offroad tyres are going to go the same places, its the above angles that separate the good from bad really!