FA Licence Query - Ammunition

badsworth

:devil:

I am about to apply for my FA Cert. I have had one before, but not for about 15 years. I am however a Shotgun cert holder.

I am hoping to get permission to buy a .22LR with moderator, and a .223 with moderator (I know ...... the FLO may only let me have a .22LR for a while until I prove I am capable etc!!!).

I have been told that I will have to specify that I want 'expanding ammunition' (hollow point) and have it authorised on my certificate.

If I specify expanding ammo will I be restricted to expanding only? I don't know if all the various velocities of .22 come in hollow point versions. If my cert says 'expanding ammo' and I want to try some non-expanding stuff, will my certificate permit its purchase?

I'd like to have some sub-sonic (slow) stuff and a few rounds of really fast stuff for Charlie (sub 40 yards).

The .223 is not a problem - provided I get it on my cert I would want all hollow point or ballistic tip rounds.

Can anyone advise me?

Thanks

Badsworth

:devil:

Badsworth,

Yes you can buy non expanding ammo once you have expanding on your ticket.

Be sure to ask for a decent allowance of ammo down here in Sussex i am allowed to have 1500 rnds of 22. and buy 1000 rnds of .22 .

Also take advantage and fill your ticket up with other guns you may not want yet buy doing it now will save you money ,because any variations you do after will cost you £26 !!! :devil:

Then you can do a 1 4 1 variation by which one comes off and another goes on for free because you not adding the number of guns on your ticket.

I have shot most of my foxes with my .22 always under 50 yards with subs !!

you will find that alot of the HV stuff is pretty inaccurate , try them but i think you will be disapointed with the grouping.

Have fun , shoot safe. :devil:

Brian....

To get permission for expanding ammo, write down that you want it for rabbit and other vermin control. As far as I know, target shooting is not a good enough reason for expanding anymore.

Put down vermin control.

As for the moderators - supressors on your ticket - state that it is for reasons of health and safety.

There is another thread on this website concerning this one but if you put H & S then they can't refuse you.

RTD