tikka t3 .22-250 accuracy

jon78

Hi all. Does anyone know whether barrel temperature affects accuracy. Whilst trying some rounds with varying powder quantity earlier, the groups started getting porgressively worse. It could be, obviously, due to any number of reasons, but wondered if you guys let your barrel cool in between groups.

Also, does anyone know the optimum seating depth for .22-250 VMAX moly coated, with federal cases is for a T3 (Stainless Synthetic).

Cheers!!

Jon

seating depth is generally considered to be 20thou or there abouts from the lans (SP?) but this is often not the case, just run up a load of different lengths, about 15 of each, and then continue development with the most accurate load.

as for barrel heat, in a round like the 22-250 yes it will effect accuracy, but it should only be verticle stringing, if the groups wander l/r its most likely not the temp causing the problem

leaving the gun 30 secs between shots is pretty normal, i find when bench resting that if you are taking more than 1 shot a min your not shooting properly anyway.

if you want to test teh accuracy get a front rest (not bipod) and a rear rest (sandbag type) they will improve your groups no end.

jON78

Get a book mate, no offence to anyone but you should always check loads very very carefully..........take no-ones word for it, or am I paranoid.

I also agree with nick, re the hot barrell, do you use your rifle for vermin control or stalking?

Once you have it zeroed let the barrell cool right down and try one off round....this is more likely how your first shot at a potential target will be eh!

Good luck.

I've got a dummy round for my .308 and one for the 6.5x55 where the flash hole is able to take a rod which pushed the bullet out of the brass.

Stick the case in the chamber and gently push the round out until it touches the lands. This I find is how it should be.

Having said that, some bullets like a little jump and some like to be touching. I use dead soft loads anyway and find that the accuracy improves because of it.

As for a hot barrel, not only will your accuracy go up the wall - more so if it is a worn or dirty barrel, but inconsistancies appear.

Fully agree with taking your time, groups are more important than bulls and when you've got it blob on, let it cool for about 10 minutes and then put one where it should be.

RTD

The trouble nowadays is stupid litigation. If someone loads a batch of ammunition and pushes the bullet into the lands with a very hot load, this can increase the pressures enormously, causing the occasional accident.

This has lead to litigation in the courts where “Joe ********” has loaded his rounds with 5 grns more than he was supposed to, pushed the bullet until it jams into the rifling, and then blows the ******* thing up. :lol:

This has lead to some manufacturers leaving a bigger jump into the rifling and then making sure that you can’t reach it by pushing the bullet out too far, by making the magazine too short to be able to achieve this.

In other words if you make the rounds long enough to touch the rifling they won’t fit into the mag. :(

I have a Tikka T3 in .243 and I’m pretty sure that this is the case, but I haven’t tried pushing the rounds out that far yet…I’ll let you know when I reload my next batch.

G.M.

Edited by Gemini

If using a scope with high magnification you can also see heat haze coming off the barrel if it gets hot, this will also cause problems as you cannot focus your point of aim. The only answer is dont cook your barrel in the first place.

Thanks for your feedback so far. It was brans new when i got it back along, with an S&B Hungarian 8x56. I will take the scope off and start again I think. As for getting a book, I get a friend who has a .22-250 Sako to make the rounds up for me. He has excellent results with his rifle, and hasnt made any rounds like "joe ********" by overloading them. As for time in between shots, I have been leaving 1 min+ between every shot, and longer between 3 shot groups.

I would consider getting some sand bags nick, but I have had very good groups with this rifle already off the bipod... unless i am doing something fundamentally wrong.

Cheers again

Jon

handloads very rarely work well in other guns than the one it is worked up for, even between 2 identicle guns they will still have different preferances.

if you dont have handloading equip your self i recomend doing an evening session with your mate, just running up some loads at different seating depths, and then once you find the best one of these move onto powder charge, you will eventually find one that works a treat.

cant recomend sand bags enough, i was in your shoes before, thinking this is so steady why do i need a sand bag.....if you give one a go you will understand :lol:

if you took my sandbags away i wouldnt bother trying to develop handloads, put it that way.

what ever you do play it safe and good luck :(