Drain (moth) Flies

Cosd

About a month ago we had a sewer smell coming through the floor boards in our kitchen. It turns out that the pipes leading from the kitchen sink and waste disposal unit was broken at the junction where the 2" pipe joined onto a 4" pipe. Any waste from the sink or disposer was pouring straight onto the ground beneath the floorboards.

I fixed the pipe but could not get beneath the area where the ground was wet to scrape/clean it up because of kitchen units. The strong smell instantly went and so I thought the lingering smell would go in time which it has.

The issue now is we are infested with drain flies. They are coming up through the floorboards in the kitchen (no floor covering down yet as we're in the process of fixing the house up) and gather round windows, lights etc.

How can I get rid of these? Do I need proffesionals?

I keep lifting the floorboards to spray insect killer and have one of those electrical blue light zapper things right by the area they are coming from, but it isn't holding them at bay!

The ground beneath the floorboards is still damp though there are no puddles......

Please help!!!

Theres no more leaks I checked. When I fixed it a month ago there were puddles, now the earth is a darker colour to dry earth if that makes sense, it's just slightly damp not wet. Though the weather is warm my guess is that under the house it's still cool'ish being that it doesn't see sunlight.

Reading about these drain flies, they breed at an alarming rate, they lay between 30 - 100 eggs each!! This is a daily battle at the moment but I'm off on holiday next Saturday so I really need to get my finger out on this one!

Have you tried spraying the area with " raid " kills just about everything out there. It leaves a covering and anything that touches it dies. Can be bought in most supermarkets and its not expensive.

Yep, every day. I lift the floorboards, spray half a can of Raid, then close it back up. It sorts the problem out for a few hours then they start coming through again!

I just spoke to a man from Rentokill and he has suggested spraying the damp and surrounding area with bleach using one of those garden pump spray bottles. He said that this should contaminate the area which they won't be able to breed on any more.

Apart from the obvious problem, as soon as I go home the wife calls me to look at how many flies there are!! I don't want to look at the bloody flies any more :good: