.22 Hornet 'V' .222

Big Dog

frank are you sure your not talking about the hmr? i know i once made the mistake of saying it required regular cleaning to maintain accuracy......got an ear full for that.

the 17 rem is a completely differerent beast to the hmr just incase anyone is in any doubt about that, not saying you were frank, just clearing that one up.

but why get a 17 of any sort when you could get a 222 which makes the same noise and would not be more expensive than a 17rem to run. it wont shoot so flat, but it will take down larger quarry....say foxes or these goats you lucky ******* seem to be allowed to shoot :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, its what ever is the simplest to licence over here in Ireland.

I am not a sales man, Im just giving my personell experinces with the calibers Iv actually used or have been around people who have used them a lot and seen for my self what they can Do.

Big dog, if you can get a .222 go for it, it has everything you asked for, but I will tell you now, unless you can reload for it, you will find it hard to reach those 300 yd grey backs :rolleyes:

Im in the process of applying for a 6.5x 55, for the purpose of deer stalking at present.

I hear that applying for a deer stalking, range use caliber like the 6.5 is easier to licence up in the north then .222s and .223s.

Is this true Big Dog?

Which ever you choose, the best of luck with it, safe and happy shooting :lol:

One more thing, the only rugers I have come acroos that are bad out of the box is the 10/22, semi-auto rimfire.

You really have to tune them, change them ect, in order for them to hit a barn door :rolleyes: .

The Ruger .204 I have, shoots 1 and quarter inches at 300yds at present, if anyone wants to witness this they are welcome :lol: .

Frank the only problems were with the stainless Magnum calibres .338 I think.

It was caused by too much sulphur being added to the steel in order allow easier machining of the barrels. This is not a problem now and non of the smaller calibres were affected.

I have a .243 Tikka T3, and it is a lovely rifle, except for the s#!tty butt pad which I removed, re-cut the pitch and replaced it with a nice new one. :rolleyes:

G.M.

if you get a sako which hasnt got all these silly bits to make it look good then it will be fine, sako's and tikka's use very nearly the same parts, apart from tikka gets hand me downs from sako each year, but this keeps the cost down and build quality up.

in my opinion sako and tikka make some of the best rifles when on a reasonable budget. i would be intrested to see a group you shot at 100 frank, as that is the more common range to shoot groups at, otherwise things like power of your scope or wind take more effect and dont reflect the true accuracy.

Nick my group at 100 is Under an inch.

Half an inch to a inch.

It is a hunting rifle only and not a benchrest rifle.

So I find this group very exceptable :rolleyes: .

Some pics I got off the .204 web site forum of coyotes that were downed with a .204 below.

Enjoy :lol: .

The rifle in question in the photo, is a CZ American .204.

The fella was using 32 grain factory v.maxes.

You can guess what my 40 v,maxes can do :rolleyes: .

Once I get a digital camera, I will post some decent photos of goats, foxes ect taken with my Ruger .204 :lol: .

Edited by Frank

and that group is ver acceptable, but my point would be that the extra 200 or more that you pay gets you bench rest performance from a hunting gun.

do you handload, the whole n/ireland thing and handloading has me confused, if that is factory you have found a very nice match for your gun, if not i would think that if your intrested in it you could tighten that group up nicely.

sako's tikka's and all the other more top end rifles will give better groups, but you do pay for it, so it depends how much you care about your groups

some fine work on the foxes there.

Hi Nick,

No you cant reload here in southern Ireland, but you can in northen Ireland.

I am quiet happy with my groups for my hunting purposes :lol: .

The pics I sent, were off an american web site about the .204 and they are coyotes, not foxes.

I understand were you are coming from about the .222 having bench rest accuracy for hunting purposes, but whats a few millimeteres in groups?

Is it going to make much difference? I think not.

Im shore that if I reloaded, I would get some fantastic groups, but Im happy with what Iv got.

The guys in the Us are having fantastic results with hand loads using the 39 grain Siearra Blitz Kings and 35 grain hallow point Bergers, just have a look at the www.204ruger.com site and go into the forums.

Their is also talk of Barnes producing a game bullet for the .204 soon, with controled expansion. That should be great for reloaders :/ .

Fedarel are in the process as far as I know, in coming up with a 40 grain soft point for the .204, factory ammo.

Their is also 50 grain bullets by berger, if you want that extra weight and energy, which I think is pointless, as I have found out threw using the 40 grain v.max factory :rolleyes: , plenty of energy.

wow coyotes, i didnt take a 2nd look at them, they do a good dead fox impression :rolleyes:

i just enjoy having small groups, its a part of the sport which i enjoy, each to their own.

your point is valid, you will still have a group well small enough for fox sized kill zones out to 300

Thats right Gemini, its camo tape. :/

God knows why we cant reload down south :rolleyes:

Its a very grey area :lol:

Their is a few that do, but they had to go threw a lot of red tape to get their.

Its such a rediclous law, infact I dont even know if it is law :lol: .

Same noncence with .223s and .222s.

223s and a few .222s are starting to get licenced, as well pistols, but it is a slow process.

Big Dog, what have you decided on as your varmint caliber?

.222, .223, .17. .22 Hornet or .204? :lol:

Frank.

I think I am going for the .222. I am 98% convinced. The PSNI seem to be recognising it more as a foxi gun.

I think I have got the right type of land to justify it. I am still working on this.

I hope to join a rifle club that I have just found called the "Ulster Rifles Association". It been going since 1860. Uses a military range 10yrs -600mtr. If I get in this will also aid my case.

I haven't researched the 204 enough yet to rule it out but it would be my 2nd choice at present. Hope I don't offend.

My permit is up in January 06. As we now have a new licence system, which is back logged 6 mths, it is no longer renewal ever 3 yrs but re-application every 5yrs. I will wait till Christmas and re-apply for my current guns and the additional .222.

Prayer I think plays a big role up here :shoot::sly:

Good choice Big Dog :)

Hope you have many hours of fun with it ;)

I would love to own a .222 and might go for one in the future to see how it performs against my .204.

As I have never owened a .222 i have limited experience of one.

Apparently they are a dying breed and the .223 is ment to be taking over :/ .

How true this is i dont know.

I heard yesterday that the firearms laws down here in the south is going to change a bit in September. Reloading might be possible :P .

That would be great :sly: .

.223s and .222 are getting more and more licenced everyday, but it seems to depend on what county you are in. Co. Killkenny for instence is giving them out like loafs of bread, on the other hand police in countys like mayo are not letting anyone have them :shoot: .

Its very confusing at times to know where you stand :D .

I am not saying what county im in, but my local Superintendent has refused me a .223 and even though I had a chat with him in his office, I still did not get anywhere.

Prehaps in the future when things get a bit more lax I might go for a .222.

But am quiet happy with the .204 at present, i just wish their was more avalibility with different types of factory ammo.

Hornady 32 and 40 grain v.max is all that is available at present.

Their was some winchester hallow points, they went like bread would do in africa ???

But looking on the bright side, if reloading comes in then Im loughing, as their is plenty of bullets to choose from :D

For now all I can do is Pray :lol:

Edited by Frank

• 1 month later...
Reloading is easy too, you live in the north, so reloading is allowed if you wish, as you probably already know.

At the Gamefair I spoke to several chaps from southern Ireland looking for Reloading Solutions' stand.

"You're not allowed to reload, are you?" I asked.

"No, I know, but we all do." was the reply.

"We're not allowed sound moderators either, but I have them on my rifles" One added.

"We're going to be allowed handguns again shortly. I've already got one" Was another comment.

Edited by rjimmer

As you can see its all up in the air at present :o .

People dont know where they stand.

This is all suppose to change in the firearms ammendment bill which is due in around september.

Whether things will get esier or not is another question.

We will wait and see. :o .