pigeon carcass

fatjoe

hi guys

sorry guys i might sound a bit thick but new to shooting and after watching several vids on pigeon crowning,i was wondering what you guys do with the remaining carcasses once the breast has been removed, could it be stripped for the dogs or does it get binned and if so do you have any issues with the council taking away carcasses, the same goes for rabbit carcasses

i suppose binning the carcasses would be ok if you only had a few but what about you guys who bag 100+ birds

cheers joe

If you get 100 + sell them.

give some away .

eat some

feed some to dog .

if you know people that keep birds of pray, give them to them.

(steel shot)

people that have ferretts aswell.

freeze a few whole to use on pigeon magnet or flapper or decoys(on floor)

(defost before!)

cheers

Scott

sorry about spelling but you get the idea

I've not had much chance to shoot many pigeon lately but I find that I take a sharp knife and some sealable plastic bags and I debreast the pigeon in the field. Limits the mess at home, and I throw the carcass back into an apropriate place in the field for the foxes or whatever other wildlife may want them!

I've not had much chance to shoot many pigeon lately but I find that I take a sharp knife and some sealable plastic bags and I debreast the pigeon in the field. Limits the mess at home, and I throw the carcass back into an apropriate place in the field for the foxes or whatever other wildlife may want them!

That sir make's you a **** imho of course :good:

?? why's that Rob.

Once I've either breasted or crowned pigeons, the carcase gets taken back to bait out for foxes. What's the difference to doing it in the field?

Have you ever seen 50 - 60 breasted carcases left in a field :birthday: i have and so did the farmer infact the lad that did it is no longer welcome to the farm now :birthday:

I've never shot 50 in one day either. As I never have much time, I only go out for an hour or so, and just wait quietly underneath a flightline. Normally call it a day once I've got 4 or 5 birds as that's just enough for me to cook up for the family.

I think it's much more hygenic to throw the de breasted bird back in the hedge or woods where it can go to some use feeding the foxes or other wildlife. If I put it a dustbin sack, depending on what day it is, I could have anything upto a week for that sack to be sitting outside my house in a dustbin which really is not nice in this heat.

Plus, the times that I have actually brought them home, I have found that no matter how careful I am, I always end up with feathers all over the place from plucking the breast. Again, plucking in the field is much easier as they just blow away in the wind!

Have you ever seen 50 - 60 breasted carcases left in a field i have and so did the farmer infact the lad that did it is no longer welcome to the farm now

A bit of common sense might be called for. If all you have is, say, 5 or 6 birds then chucking them under a hedgerow might not be a bad idea. Anything more than that though and I think I'd expect the farmer to be having a "quiet word" with me.

The public (love 'em or loathe 'em) don't like to find heaps of mutilated birds near where they're walking fido. Especially if they find said Fido up to his ears in dead pigeons when he won't come back when called.