your opinions on 22-250

hill billy

its a nice little round, good fox killer......just about big enough for bunnies :(

good for any distance on bunnies in the right hands, good for foxes to 350 maybe 400 in the right hands, i would zero it to be 1 1/4 high at 100 and then about smack on at 200, with a drop of about 2-3 inches at 300, keeping the shots in a kill zone size target out to about 300, and past that all you do it hold on charlies back and squeeze the shot off

its a violent sounding round though, get that newtered if you can.

have fun with it :lol:

Not too sure of what the velocities will be if you are reloading, but if you are using bullets that are going to be loaded up to achieve velocities of @ 3900-4000fps, then a 250yd zero will give you a dead-on hold into 3 inches, out to @ 300 yds.

In other words if you have a 3 inch target area, then you will hit it at any distance from 50 yds right out to 300yds.

This does of course depend on the users own capabilities, and if you are only going to be taking shots out to 250 yds, then I can’t understand why you want a 22-250 as a .223 would do just as well and be a lot cheaper to run.

G.M.

This is true mate about the .223 but my fire arms officer is a bit fussy on giving permission for them, i have a moderator in my veriation as well not sure how much noise it will make but i will just have to wait and find out, i don't think i will be home loading just yet but if i do i will seek my uncles help because he has been home loading most rounds ever since i can remember so i will just do as he says and probably have a few batches off of him as well discounted prices for family of course :(

This all sounds a bit daft to me :( . What ever.

Good luck with it, but a .223 wiould be a better round for a beginner like yourself.

If you are disapointed with .22-250, try the .223 or even better, a .204 :lol:

Altough, as you live in England, reloading is permited, so a .223 sounds more economical and with carefull loads, I would emagine you could get good speed and energy nearly as good as the .22-250 with much less recoil and deafening noise ;) . The .204 is getting better and better all the time and fellas in the states are getting AMAZING :lol: , results with home loading. :lol:

I had a 22-250 and it was an ace gun. One of those that I wish I'd never sold. I got a McMillan stock for it and a Timney trigger. Topped it off with a Nightforce scope and got a moderator. No kick, just the amazing sound of the bullet off into the land of far, far away. did'tn have anything to use it on though. I really should stop swapping stuff. got a .308 and a 6.5 x 55 now and aiming to get a .17hmr.

Great gun I wish I'd kept hold of. The only prob was finding ranges that would accept those speeds.

Reloading is easy enough - get the speer or hornady manuals for advice. Parts are available from reloading solutions in Oxford.

RTD

Eh!, he is a bit fussy about .223, but doesn’t mind a 22-250?:(??

Sounds like a right plonker!

G.M.

i can't remember what he said but it was some thing to do with it being a military round he didn't straight out say that he is refusing me he just advised against it so i took his advise and i found a fully set up 22-250 in my local gun smiths that he would do me a good deal on so i went for that

Er, Sorry Billy old son but if your uncle loads his own and sells them to you he is committing an offence under the proof laws.

Any ammunition that is home loaded is OK for your own use, but if you want to sell it then you have to provide the proof house with samples and then pay them through the nose to get the correct paperwork.

Apart from that if you use someone else’s hand loads then you could be in trouble if they do something daft and you get the ****y end of the stick.

A friend of mine was loading some .357 ammo’ for his Marlin last year. He was using Bullseye powder, and when he finished loading a batch he then went on to load some more ammo’ for his Sako .308.

Now he was absolutely positive that he had put the Bullseye away and got out the R19 or whatever he was going to use….but he hadn’t, and loaded up a batch of .308 ammo’ using the Bullseye powder.

The rifle was fired and the barrel burst, the action opened up and the scope disappeared. He was the luckiest man alive that day, because the bolt held. Had the lugs sheered he would have been killed for sure.

If you want to use someone else’s loads, then sit with them and load them yourself with their help. That way you learn as well as being able to see what the components are for yourself.

G.M.