New stick

deeksofdoom

Here is my newest creation, its a fairly thick hazel stick with a fallow antler handle. Its 45inches long and a tad heavy but will be ideal for beating in the coming season. The Stick was a bit bandy to start with but because it was so thick it took a fair bit of steaming and bending until I eventually got it kind of straightish and it looks fine now.

24082009204.jpg

I got a few pieces of shed Fallow antlers from a local deer farm last winter. I thought they would be too big and chunky for an antler stick but with a lot of filing, sanding and sawing it shaped up quite well. I cut the coronet and the tip of the antler off and used black buffalo and cow horn spacers for the tips, I had to make a small wooden dowel to attach the horn tip onto the end of the tine as they wouldn't stay on.

24082009202.jpg

I married the stick to the antler by making a dowel with the top of the stick and glueing with Araldite. I then drilled a hole in the stick with a 6mm drill bit and shoved a casing from a 22wmr into the hole with Araldite to strengthen it.

24082009203.jpg

Onto the top of the shank I put an old penny piece from 1968. The coin was bent to fit as a badge, bought it off a guy on ebay last year. The stick was a bit too thick for it so I had to carve out the shape of the penny to make it fit.

24082009201-001.jpg

Onto the end of the stick I put a brass ferrule, again I had to shape the end of the stick so that it fit perfectly and then glued with Araldite

24082009205.jpg

Finally I gave it a light sanding, rubbed it down with wire wool and boiled linseed oil and its after getting about 6 coats of yacht varnish. All is left now is to make a leather lanyard so as it doesn't take off into the bushes some Saturday morning when I'm out beating.