hare bigger than the gun

ttalbot09

basically it was shot on private land with permission so whether i didnt recognise it as a hare instead of a rabbit either way it was shot cleanly and went in the pot nothing wasted if you dont agree with shooting hares with air rifle please dont tell me i dont need to know :yes:

:yes::good::crazy: never thought this post would get so many views

post-15181-1251158863.jpg

Edited by ttalbot09

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another airgun fool shooting at things they shouldn't be... :yes:

Perhaps I should remind a few on here or a story that happened in my local area not so long ago. Someone "shot at" a pair of eyes and ears as they "assumed" it must be a fox.

Turns out it was a police dog handler... the 22 round missed the fox - which was actually an Alsation, and ended up in the guts of the Policeman at it's side.

yes but he knew it was either a hare or a rabbits so i dont see what the problem is? that was just some idiot you were who was stupid enough to let off a shot into the dark at a pair of bright eyes, this was entirely different. :yes:

anyway, very good shooting! that hare is huge. never seen a hare before they look stunning. i would estimate the hare is over 32 inches from tip of toes to back legs to tip of toes front leg.

Edited by aaron airgunner

yes but he knew it was either a hare or a rabbits so i dont see what the problem is?

At the limits of airgun range a hare will be a hard animal to kill cleanly and few if any airgun users have a dog with them to retrieve a wounded animal, so IMHO recognition is a must before even consideration of a shot.

yes but he knew it was either a hare or a rabbits so i dont see what the problem is?

yes but a furry head with big eyes and ears is good enough for me

So it couldn't possibly be a Cat, fox, dog, or other then?

I'm sorry but I'm 100% with HD on this.

Stick to plinking coke cans

"i knew it was a rabbit or hare"

his words exactly so he did no it was a rabbit or a hair. there quite easy to identify and i would be very suprised if he couldent tell the difference between a dog and a rabbit. and as long as you stay withing 30 yards an airgun has more than enough power to kill a hair with a headshot direclyl behind the eye.

ATB

Aaron.

folks,

this is my first post, I feel moved to post as I cannot ever imagine that an air rifle is the right tool for a Hare.There is IMHO nothing harder to clean Kill with 36g of No4 let alone 1 pellet.

Out of respect for a fabulous animal I would NEVER shoot a Hare with an Airgun and I would sincerely hope the vast majority on here are of the same view or heaven help us all.

folks,

this is my first post, I feel moved to post as I cannot ever imagine that an air rifle is the right tool for a Hare.There is IMHO nothing harder to clean Kill with 36g of No4 let alone 1 pellet.

Out of respect for a fabulous animal I would NEVER shoot a Hare with an Airgun and I would sincerely hope the vast majority on here are of the same view or heaven help us all.

i have shot loads with 28 gram of 6 and always have clean kills with them cracking shot with the air rifle , this time of year they seem to sit reall low in the stubble so u just see a head and some ears :yes:

Damn good shooting mate I rekon ur spot on, big ears and furry is a clue, give us a piece of the fur so I can make a wig for myself lol

Alan

if you are a bit follicaly challenged, you dont need any fur, you just need a felt tip and draw a few rabbits on your shiny cranium, from a distance they will look just like hares :yes:

mikee :yes::good:

The guy made two mistakes.

One, shooting a hare with an airgun. He didn't identify it correctly. Experienced shooters can tell the difference easily, I am sure he will not make the same mistake twice.

Two, Posting it on here.

Hopefully anyone that sees the thread will now be able or atleast make an effort to learn the difference between the hares and rabbits.

Make sure the Hare gets eaten, it would be a real shame to waste it.

folks,

A headshot with a air rifle if fine. Will be dead instantly ;) - I'm not saying I recomend it - a rimfire is the best tool imo.

36gram no4 would be overkill! - Let me rephrase that - I'm just saying you don't have to use loads that big. 18 grams of 6 from a .410 will kill with one shot...its about where you put the lead not about using a massive load.

If anything a rifle is better than a shotgun with the right shot :lol: - If it's 4 the pot as in this case

Edited by Tobyb525

A headshot with a air rifle if fine. Will be dead instantly ;)

36gram no4 would be overkill!

If anything a rifle is better than a shotgun with the right shot :lol:

It wouldn't be overkill at 20m or if the Hare was running. An airgun < 12 ft/lb will kill a hare, as demonstrated in this post, but there is a lot of room for error. Being able to and suitability are two different things.

A shotgun or rimmy are the tools for the job. Also, I believe it's illegal to shot hares with a <12 ft/lb airgun.

Edited by Westcountryman

A headshot with a air rifle if fine. Will be dead instantly ;)

36gram no4 would be overkill!

If anything a rifle is better than a shotgun with the right shot :lol:

At 15yo I would expect you would be mature enough to accept the better judgement of people who have been shooting longer than you have been alive !

Check out BASC`s code of practice for airgun users for part one of the above, secondly 36gm 4`s and 5`s are accepted for driven/walked up hare and finally try shooting a flying bird or running rabbit with a rifle.

WOW didnt think this would cause so much conflict. it was at 25 yards in the grass with rabbits around it i chose the biggest one for the pot as you do and it went down as a rabbit would down on the spot tiny bit of nerve kick thats it. i dont shoot at anything thats not going to be eaten i dont even shoot loads and loads of magpies and crows and leave them i only hunt rabbits for the pot

Edited by ttalbot09

It is actually illegal to take game with an air rifle, ; 12 foot lbs and under, and Hare was once classified as game with a strange provision you could shoot during its close season but not sell it. I think close season was March to April or May----------- anybody?;)??

Regards Alan

HERE WE GO------

Hares cannot be sold from Mar 1 to July 31. If the land you shoot hares on is classed as moorland or unenclosed land and your permission on that land is through the landowner or occupier then a close season and other restrictions may legally apply on that land. Contact BASC for more information.

It would appear Hares are legal quarry for air rifle but not deemed appropiate for power reasons ie; humane killing.

I answered it myself

lol

Edited by Alanl50

if you are a bit follicaly challenged, you dont need any fur, you just need a felt tip and draw a few rabbits on your shiny cranium, from a distance they will look just like hares ;)

mikee :lol::huh:

I could always have hair tattoed on

LOL

Regards Alan

Edited by Alanl50