hare bigger than the gun

ttalbot09

i am kinda wondering somthing ok he ****** up with wether it was a rabbit or a hares to me he should brush up on thou skills :good::hmm:

surly if u miss place a shoot on a rabbit it would run off an die in pain ? :) so goign by what some should say maybe airrifles shouldnt be used on any animal :good:

i do belive he said that he shoots both rabbit and hare ?? i could be wrong on this thou

oh yea i might get throwed up on for saying this so please put me in my place :lol:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MM, the fact that I'm a farmer is immaterial. What's probably more relevant is that I have a degree of respect for what I shoot at, and I also like to avoid fine margins for error.

Ronster, if you knew anything about wound ballistics and the variables one encounters when shooting in the real world, you'd appreciate that the figures you quoted are meaningless.

I know you big sausage, im pulling your plonker :good:

Sorry to use you as an example MM, but needs must.

no need to be sorry mate, you wont be the first Scot to use me :good::hmm:

Incorrect. Hares are classed as ground game at all times, and not as pests.

Ground game they may be but in which case so technically are rabbits. On enclosed land (all farmland so you should know) they can be shot as pests. And lets take it a bit further for those that say otherwise, on enclosed land they can be shot at night under the lamp.

I personally wouldn't do it with an airgun but that's my personal preference. I wouldn't condemn anyone for doing so if they knew what they were doing and were as sure of their shot placement and distance judging as accurately as is reasonable. We can't always get a clean kill however much we say we do. there are too many variables to make every shot 100% whatever we are shooting be it airgun, rimfire or centrefire.

not to worry anyway iv ordered myself an m82 barret 50 caliber using armour piercing incenditary round so the next hare i see will be an even cleaner kill than when i took its brain out with a 22 pellet

That's the way to do it. :good: Semi auto of course? :hmm::good:

That's the way to do it. :hmm: Semi auto of course? :good::lol:

no are you joking? semi auto isnt good enough. iv had a conversion made larger magazine and full auto so even if it does fall il just finish the mag into it thanks :good:

Edited by ttalbot09

Just read this whole thread.

My two penneth (for what it is worth) is as follows.

Not really suitable quarry for an airgun, yes it will kill in the right spot and yes an airgun will kill something much larger in the right spot but it doesn't mean its right.

While you can wound anything with most guns, you owe it to this lovely quarry species to minimize the risk of this happening as much as possible. Once people start considering hares to be acceptable airgun species you will get newbies locking onto them at longer range and just wounding them and I can tell you now, you really don't want that. And now that hares are a suitable air rifle quarry, why don't we all go out an mop up the fox cubs when they first leave the earths with airguns as a hare is larger than a cub of that age? You need to draw the line somewhere.

Hares and rabbits, completely different, confused how someone could make the mistake really at airgun range. :good: Bit like confusing a rook with a jackdaw, just baffles me.

FM

Since getting my HMR I have lost confidence in the airgun. And 30 yards in the field is such a pathetically small amount as well.

Though at 25 yards you'd have a job missing the brain, and the pellet would penetrate and exit the other side. Genuine mistake which I'm sure you won't do again! :good:

I'm going to keep this short...

1) your an idiot. A fact that is aparant to the experinced people who actually know what their talking about.

2) regarding the peson who can't tell the difference between a rook and a jackdaw,( it's hard to quote when using your phone) but thinks that a lack of ability when identifying quarry shouldn't stop you from shooting...how do you stand when you mistake say a female eider for a hen mallard when out shooting... Think one of those may be protected

And finally; with regard for the crippled hare/20 bore story, either your friend is ignorant and shoots hares up the **** or he's a **** shot and in either case should not be shooting at live targets....

I think its disgusting that the wise and experianced shooters won't impart any advice or wisdom without ripping the lad to shreds. If it wasn't for a good friend of mine helping me out and showing me the ropes with regards to gun safety and cleanly identifiying and dispatching live quarry then I wouldn't have a clue and be liable to do something the same as this thread.

As Baldrick has said about learning from Airgunner mag or the likes, without people passing on what they know from experiance (which was likely passed to them) then how are people new to the sport supposed to learn.

Since getting my HMR I have lost confidence in the airgun. And 30 yards in the field is such a pathetically small amount as well.

So you've become one of the ever increasing group of FAC snobs. Whoopee doo. Now go and learn a bit of humility and remember where you started. :good::) 30 yards pathetically small? How about a post pathetically made? :hmm::good::lol:

Brisa you said

As Baldrick has said about learning from Airgunner mag or the likes, without people passing on what they know from experiance (which was likely passed to them) then how are people new to the sport supposed to learn.

I agree to some extent but the world is full of people who have "read in a magazine" or "I have been told that ....". The word that I really do agree with is experience. Pass it down and SHOW how it's done. I was shown and went on to use that knowledge to develop my own style. just like many others. The problem with reading and applying it is that there's noone to steer you in the right direction when it goes wrong. You're still waiting for the next installment in next months magazine.

Every experienced shooter should be prepared to help someone to get it right and learn from mistakes already made. Having a poke at people because you don't like what they've done doesn't help anyone and actually shows up the person having the poke.

Edited by DaveK

I agree with both sides of this conversation, but my concern is not being able to tell the difference between a rabbit and a hare. At 25 yards, if I dont know what it is, I dont shoot. Regardless. I agree with others on the fact about a sub 12ft/lb air rifle maybe not being capable of doing the job, but it is down to the man with the gun. With all due respect, it was a good shot and it is nice to know the hare didnt suffer. Myself, I wouldnt have taken the shot. I haven't yet and never will shoot hares with a <12ft/lb air rifle. Different story if it is nearer 30 ft/lb.

I think a rimfire or a 12b with 32gram 4's or 5's would have been a better choice IMO.

But, that said, I dont think a bit of quarry identification research would go a miss, at 25 yards, the difference between a rabbit and a hare is big, even in long grass.

We all know, this thread could keep going round and round but it is going to get us nowhere. The contrasting opinions are always going to clash.

Regards,

Sam.

EDIT:The attached pic is my BSA ultra with my Black Lab and a rabbit (obviously) and I know I wouldnt shoot anything as large as a dog. post-17767-1251253520.jpg

Edited by sharp_shooter_sam

I'm going to keep this short...

1) your an idiot. A fact that is aparant to the experinced people who actually know what their talking about.

2) regarding the peson who can't tell the difference between a rook and a jackdaw,( it's hard to quote when using your phone) but thinks that a lack of ability when identifying quarry shouldn't stop you from shooting...how do you stand when you mistake say a female eider for a hen mallard when out shooting... Think one of those may be protected

And finally; with regard for the crippled hare/20 bore story, either your friend is ignorant and shoots hares up the **** or he's a **** shot and in either case should not be shooting at live targets....

Who cannot tell the difference between a rook and a jackdoor? Read the post again. :good:

if you know you can achieve 1 hole groups at 25 yrds then i say, go for the hare at 25 yrds. an airgun is powerful enough. if you can achieve consistent accuracy with it then there is no reason you shouldnt go for a hare. end of story. im not going to do any more replys to this thread because of all the FAC snobs on here at the moment.

I think the lads got the basic idea now.

Or more than likely binned the idea of coming on this forum together with his air rifle.

And to all those oh! so perfect people out there that think education should be given on the end of a 10lb lump hammer.

"take a step off your podeum for a second and give the lad a rest" i think he now has the idea.

I too have shot hares with an air rifle together many many years ago, but i have now more suitable tools for the job if it ever arises, this comes with experience, and i'm afraid age

i dont agree with the comment about if you dont no your quarry you should not be shooting , a hare and rabbit is easy to mistake in long grass , thats just like saying you shoot a jackdaw but you thought it was a rook should they stop shooting ? as they look alike big time , at the end of the day it died did not go off wounded job done , People on here are too quick to jump in on people , i wonder how many of you have hit stuff what have run off , how many pigeons have you cliped with the shot gun that have carried on flying ?

gets a bit boring seeing people slagging of others all the time ! you must be all so perfect!

Who cannot tell the difference between a rook and a jackdoor? Read the post again. :good:

:hmm:

Firstly i shoot both air rifle and shotgun and have shot hares with both.

For all you doubters of top notch modern PCP'S go and watch a HFT (Hunter Field Target) competition and you will see the degree of accuracy these rifles are capable of.

Fac or A/Gun its still down to the shooter to take a responsible shot within his or her own abilities.

The chap killed the Hare instantly with a head shot as I have done when asked to do so on my permissions.

This kind of arguement gives fuel to the anti's who montitor these forums....Andy.. :good:

Edited by big andy

I personally think its disgusting they way that supposedly older more experienced shooters have reacted in the way they have with regards to this tread.

Why does everyone instantly jump on the band wagon and shoot someone down? all you idiots (and you are idiots) are doing is fueling the anti's, so please stop it.

We have heard some mixed opinions regarding shooting large quarry with a sub 12tflb air rifle, and yea ofcourse a .223 or a .308 will do a better job, (well dont to the dope that made that comment - what a detective you would make).

I learnt to shoot with an air rifle, a cheap bash around springer, which could group nicely in perfect conditions out to around 25 yards, i moved on to a PCP logun S16, and PCP is a different ball park altogeather.

An air rifle has plenty of energy at 25 yards to take out a hare, and i wouldnt hesitate to take the shot with a PCP at that range either....

As already said pal, cracking shooting and keep it up.... (and dont take it too personally, from what i can gather, most on here read the comments and just join the stronger side without knowing what there on about anyway)....

I use a 12ft/lb .177 air rifle and my main quarry is rabbits. I have seen loads of hares around my permission, often when bipod-ing - I've never shot one - i'd prefer to watch them anyway to be honest.

The kids shot something that he probably shouldnt have (he certainly shouldnt have told us about it on here).

Personally I think he's learned a few lessons regarding appropriate behaviour when out shooting and on the forum.

The main things that rub me up the wrong way in this thread are young and / or innexperianced shooters shrugging off the advice and / or opinions of the more experienced amognst us - there's no substitute for experience lads, you need to respect that.

Also people who look down at airguns and those who use them irritate me, I may not be out taking foxes, hares and the like with a big powder burning rifle - but I can happily lay in the grass on my permissions punching holes through rabbits heads at 40 yrds till the cows come home, not plinking bloody coke cans in the garden.

I personally think its disgusting they way that supposedly older more experienced shooters have reacted in the way they have with regards to this tread.

Why does everyone instantly jump on the band wagon and shoot someone down? all you idiots (and you are idiots) are doing is fueling the anti's, so please stop it.

We have heard some mixed opinions regarding shooting large quarry with a sub 12tflb air rifle, and yea ofcourse a .223 or a .308 will do a better job, (well dont to the dope that made that comment - what a detective you would make).

I learnt to shoot with an air rifle, a cheap bash around springer, which could group nicely in perfect conditions out to around 25 yards, i moved on to a PCP logun S16, and PCP is a different ball park altogeather.

An air rifle has plenty of energy at 25 yards to take out a hare, and i wouldnt hesitate to take the shot with a PCP at that range either....

As already said pal, cracking shooting and keep it up.... (and dont take it too personally, from what i can gather, most on here read the comments and just join the stronger side without knowing what there on about anyway)....

so picking the most marginal tool for the job would make you a genious?

And I dare say that shooting hares with an airgun in the first place is more likely to "fuel the anti's" than the more experienced people condemning it.

I didn’t say that I totally condone it did I??

Although given the opportunity of shooting a hare at 25 yards with a PCP air rifle, I would take the shot comfortably knowing that it would quite easily do the business..

What I think is happening, is that people get there high powered rifles and forget their routes, an air rifle is by no means a toy and more than capable of doing the business cleanly at that range.

Oh and im not condemning it, im condoning it! genius!!!!

Edited by Killjoy

that's rubbish - there are many of us who have FAC and still use Air rifles where appropriate.

the key being WHERE APPROPRIATE.

A Hare is very easy to identify when looking down a scope from 25 yards (even if you can only see the head).

I (and many others on this forum and shooting organisations), think it inappropriate to shoot Hare with an air rifle.

It's great that he can place shots accurately, just place them on appropriate quarry please

I'm afraid Nick, its seems the airgun fraternity of this very forum regularly come up for stick in regards to quarry and/or respect for seasons - And in my experience, Rightly so.

There's far to many "pot shots" taken for what appears, simply fun by the sub 12ftlbs brigade...., Garden Woodpigeons from the bedroom window anyone ?

Anyone who cant tell the difference between a hare and a rabbit at 25yrds should remain with paper targets.