hare bigger than the gun

ttalbot09

Bignoel,

Hi.

I see from your profile that you may have a Black Lab? Me too.Imagine when that Lab was about 16 weeks old,about 10lb in weight..thats a full grown Hare, well over twice a big bunny,with a thick boned cranium. If you could imagine the awful thought that you would have had to put your Lab out of its misery would you have laid it on the ground retreated 25 yards then laid down with your sub 12ft/lb air rifle to do the deed?

I made my first ever post on here because I personally believe it is wrong to shoot a Hare with an Air Rifle.

I do not know a single Land owner/gamekeeper who would permit it.If either of my sons shot at a Hare with an air rifle they would never shoot again.

After the awful death of a 5 year old to another airgun accident Airguns are frontpage news again.Mix that with a lot of Airgunners on here going against our own main bodies advice and shooting Large animals/game with them and reap the whirlwind my friend.

come on a black lab pup against a rabbit go to spec savers my friend at 25 yrds lol and the lad has permission

Have a look at my post on page 6 of this thread, the lab is 5 years old, heavier without a doubt but not much bigger.

Regards,

Sam.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the comment ???

Yes I started with an air rifle, and still enjoy using it in some instances. FAC snob? Calm down :look:

I was simply saying that using the real gun (haha) provides more confidence in a shot as it is more likely to kill, and certainly immobilise, the quarry rather than wounding when a small error is made.

And I still hold the opinion that 30 yards is close, ok?

Calm down? Moi? :yes: but I suggest that most of us firearms shooters are guilty of implying that "they're just airguns" at some time or other.

I realise that the real gun bit was tongue in cheek but bear in mind that the airgun IS a real gun to some people (their only gun). Dunno about the more confidence bit though. I know airgunners who can shoot the spots off me at close range and with better shot placement, offhanded though as I mainly shoot supported with a bipod or sticks or against a tree or fencepost. Get me freehand and I wobble like a wobbly thing, ergo it's very rare that I do it, too much chance of injuring them.

Yes 30 yards is close for what we shoot and probably with our experience, but to some airgunners it's a right good shot and they should be encouraged.

This appropriate or not for shooting hares is an emotive subject that will run and run alongside semi auto's on rough shoots and claygrounds and .22 or .177. Everyone will have an opinion and everyone will be right.

The poor lad was rightly proud of his kill and wanted to share it with us. Instead he has had the usual slating rather than maybe a bit of friendly advice and maybe someone local to him to steer him in the right direction.

I see from your profile that you may have a Black Lab? Me too.Imagine when that Lab was about 16 weeks old,about 10lb in weight..thats a full grown Hare, well over twice a big bunny,with a thick boned cranium. If you could imagine the awful thought that you would have had to put your Lab out of its misery would you have laid it on the ground retreated 25 yards then laid down with your sub 12ft/lb air rifle to do the deed?

how pathetic --- is it ok to shoot a black labrador with a rimfire then,

I have nothing against people having an opinion but at least make a valid argument, and ill say again -------------------------------------------------------------- I Zero my s410k before every shoot and if i saw this hare on my permission (providing wind wasnt too heavy) i would take the shot every time

Nice shot mate, make confident shots.

PS. I don't post photos of anything on here anymore due to certain members making a meal of a situation i just don't bother.

Before someone mentions it yes i know there's some in my sig.

Edited by perfect

everybody who is saying modern pcp airguns are not appropriate for the job at 25 yrds please tell me why? im all ears on this one as they are a perfect tool for the job if you dont have an FAC. they are powerful enough, easily accurate enough and quiet which is usefull in delicate situations.

ATB

Aaron

why dont we have a poll :look: ???:yes:

i have just realised who you and hiho are :yes:

welcome aboard PW, that s400 arrived yet ?

Edited by meinderby

Nice shot mate, make confident shots.

PS. I don't post photos of anything on here anymore due to certain members making a meal of a situation i just don't bother.

Before someone mentions it yes i know there's some in my sig.

You thought a grey partridge (which you had shot in a grass field in the midlands) was a grouse and still couldn't understand the problem.

Certainly enough for people to object to I think.

FM

Im not gonna get into this again but the bird i shot was in season and it flew passed at high speed, i was told by the guy i was with that it was a grouse lol either way they where both in season at the time.

Like its been said the biggest mistake i made was posting it on here.

Edited by perfect

basically it was shot on private land with permission so whether i didnt recognise it as a hare instead of a rabbit either way it was shot cleanly and went in the pot nothing wasted if you dont agree with shooting hares with air rifle please dont tell me i dont need to know ???

:yes::no:??? never thought this post would get so many views

Nice hare, looks like a well placed shot too, well done :yes: good use of field craft to get that close :look:

I see their is obviously a lot of very jealous people who can't stand the thought of the young lad full of enthusiasm and brimming with field craft getting out and doing some shooting AND being successful, shame on you all ???

Hares have no closed season (on enclosed land), can be lamped (on enclosed land), are classed as game ( so are rabbits!) and there's no law against shooting them with an air rifle

edit them and with wrong way round .....doh!

Edited by Paul223

lol 10 pages thats rediculous lol. and to the guy who put this, OOOOOOOOOOOOO I do like a good debate, if shooting hares is Ok with an air rifle then I am off out tonight to go and see if a head shot with my 22 rimmy is Ok on Red Stags...............................bet it kills it at 20 yards with a head shot.

See the point fellows?sad2.gif

Use the right gun for the right job, oh and learn to identify your quarry, a hare looks about as much like a rabbit as a basset hound does, long ears for identification, ****. Try the black tips, the eyes, the difference in coat, hares are hairy!!

Now, wheres that 22, subsonics or yellow jackets thats the question.

i rekon it wud drop like a sack or **** lol, id take the shot at 20 yards in the head, maybe even with the guys 12ftlb ultra.

I haven't got time to read through ten pages but as a reply to the first couple....I have shot a Hare thinking it was a Rabbit....I know, not good, but my fieldcraft and quarry recognition is pretty good but it was partly hidden in the grass and I thought it was a Rabbit. Give the lad a break, we all get it wrong sometimes!

Before anyone starts, yes I was certain enough that the Hare I shot wasn't a police dog or the farmer.... Hares do sometimes look like Rabbits if you can't get a clear view and don't expect them to be there :look: