hare bigger than the gun

ttalbot09

i lay down 20 to 25 yards on my permission or so away from what i know is an active warren which has a large bank as a safe backdrop and there was 3-4 small rabbits and this large head so i though it was an adult one ok it was a mistake il learn from. iv never really seen hares before so didnt know difference unless i saw the full body i would of knew then...no hard feeling thanks

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i lay down 20 to 25 yards on my permission or so away from what i know is an active warren which has a large bank as a safe backdrop and there was 3-4 small rabbits and this large head so i though it was an adult one ok it was a mistake il learn from. iv never really seen hares before so didnt know difference unless i saw the full body i would of knew then...no hard feeling thanks

It in the pot now dont worry, good clean kill thats what we aim for pardon the pun!!!

Regards Alan

try shooting a flying bird or running rabbit with a rifle.

No, thats when you would use a shotgun

This guys shot a stationary animal

An easy head shot so I'm saying its overkill to blast it with lead and ruin the meat when a shot to the head with a rifle is all you need.

And i the previous post I said a rifle is better not an air rifle.

Was a sound shot thats that

Edited by Tobyb525

regardless of what people are spouting, thats a god shot. Air rifles are good for hares if taken at the right range.

PROOF.

hare.jpg

(first light, not lamped :lol: ) and for pheasants.

pheasant001.jpg

harethismorning001.jpg

all taken with care and 100% sure of a headshot. ;)

Without wishing to comment on the right and wrongs of this thread, it does confirm one thing. By putting pictures of your kills on here, you can very quickly go from the "hunter" to the "hunted", Gee's the poor lad has had to try and justify himself about 3 times on one thread.

He admitted to making an easy indentity mistake between a rabbit and a hare, but he was within range and made a good head shot, the result one dead hare.

No one is perfect and WE ALL MAKE ERRORS from time to time, but there are some on this forum who seem to realy like tearing into people, when realy a bit of,well put of advice, would go down much better.

My post tally on here is low only because of fear of ridicule and worry about how some members might perceive one of my posts, and i would only post pictures of any kills with extreme care.

Should it be that way?;)

No nick it shouldn't be that way - but anyone who shoots should at least be able to identify their quarry before pulling the trigger.

OK so a rabbit and a hare may look the same, but are totally different animals!!!! - can you now see what I and some of the others are getting at?

i have shot loads with 28 gram of 6 and always have clean kills with them cracking shot with the air rifle , this time of year they seem to sit reall low in the stubble so u just see a head and some ears :lol:

;)

A headshot with a air rifle if fine. Will be dead instantly ;)

36gram no4 would be overkill!

If anything a rifle is better than a shotgun with the right shot :lol:

Sorry to say Toby but your advice is wrong!A headshot with an air-rifle is NOT fine.IT IS NOT LISTED ON THE QUARRY LIST FOR AIRGUNS,and therefore will probably injure the animal instead of a clean kill!

Cracking shot.... Well done lad!! ;)

Dont let the "morrally correct" keyboard hero's get you down, nobody's perfect, except the keyboard hero's who have never done anything questionable :lol:

And how the hell can something be over killed?:huh: Surely its better to be deader than dead than not dead and wounded?? If its dead.... its bloody dead end of! "Over kill" what Bull ****

Edited by Killjoy

Without wishing to comment on the right and wrongs of this thread, it does confirm one thing. By putting pictures of your kills on here, you can very quickly go from the "hunter" to the "hunted", Gee's the poor lad has had to try and justify himself about 3 times on one thread.

He admitted to making an easy indentity mistake between a rabbit and a hare, but he was within range and made a good head shot, the result one dead hare.

No one is perfect and WE ALL MAKE ERRORS from time to time, but there are some on this forum who seem to realy like tearing into people, when realy a bit of,well put of advice, would go down much better.

My post tally on here is low only because of fear of ridicule and worry about how some members might perceive one of my posts, and i would only post pictures of any kills with extreme care.

Should it be that way?:lol:

I have to say im with nick on this one and my post tally is low for exactly the same reasons, I choose my words very carefully on this forum.... ;)

Your not quite getting it are you boys - it's about identifying your quary, not wheather it was a good shot or not ;)

With respect....

I dont think your quite getting it! QUOTE "shot at a head in the grass that i thought was a rabbit" wheather it was a rabit or a hare, who cares? not as if he said he shot at just a head did he?

Sorry to say Toby but your advice is wrong!A headshot with an air-rifle is NOT fine.IT IS NOT LISTED ON THE QUARRY LIST FOR AIRGUNS,and therefore will probably injure the animal instead of a clean kill!

Look, your really misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Look at my edited post for clarification

am not taking sides here cause i can see both sides of the story yeah an air rifle is not the tool for the job with hares and yes quarry id is of the up most and all that but there are some on here who dont wish to post things incase the get ripped apart for saying something wrong and i and i would think some others would agree is well out of order i was like that when i first started to post comments and topics say one thing wrong that some one dont like and there at you for it.

and i will prob get ripped for this.

at the end of the day the hare didnt suffer it was dead on the spot

and am not taking sides

sam

am not taking sides here cause i can see both sides of the story yeah an air rifle is not the tool for the job with hares and yes quarry id is of the up most and all that but there are some on here who dont wish to post things incase the get ripped apart for saying something wrong and i and i would think some others would agree is well out of order i was like that when i first started to post comments and topics say one thing wrong that some one dont like and there at you for it.

and i will prob get ripped for this.

at the end of the day the hare didnt suffer it was dead on the spot

and am not taking sides

sam

OK yeah thats it now no more :huh:;) it was dead on the spot as samw said in the pot nothing wasted. some people think its fine as long as its clean kill others dont. and as nick said that is how i shall be now. :lol:

Anybody who shoots hares with an air rifle is an absolute nosher. Anybody who can't discern between a rabbit and a hare at airgun ranges should quit shooting.

Use enough gun.

;)

You should be able to tell the difference between rabbits and hares by any number of things. The eyes are the easy one if you can only see the head (or the black tipped ears)