semi auto for clays

airgunalex

So please tell me where abouts on your person that you have been hit by an empty . It carnt be the head as you will be wearing a peaked cap ,it carnt be the eyes as you will be wearing some fancy sunglasses ,it carnt be the ears as you will be wearing ear defenders ,it carnt be the body as you will be wearing a shooting jacket of some kind or another ,it carnt be the feet as you will be wearing some fancy trainers . Any how how can I put you off shooting when it is my turn to shoot and you are waiting to shoot when I have finished ,it dosent may sense . The next fancy piece of clay shooting equipment will be a portable cage that you can stand in to protect you from emptys from the self loaders .

Harnser .

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while shooting DTL the cartridge from a semi (that ejects through the side ) can hit the next person. This can hugely distract the person and put them off the shot. I was not discrimating against semis, staying the cant shoot trap disiplins, i was advising make sure it ejects through the bottom or you will make a lot of foes. ???

while shooting DTL the cartridge from a semi (that ejects through the side ) can hit the next person. This can hugely distract the person and put them off the shot. I was not discrimating against semis, staying the cant shoot trap disiplins, i was advising make sure it ejects through the bottom or you will make a lot of foes. ???

People can shoot one another accidentally at clay grounds but generally don't - the same way that most ejected cartridges CAN "hit" others, but equally generally don't. How are the ejected cartridges going to "hugely distract" someone from their perfect score when only one shooter is actually shooting at a time on the DTL range and the cartridges eject slightly forwards and to the side of the gun? Who are they going to hit in order to "hugely distract" them from a shot that they aren't actually taking at that time anyway?

I agree with Harnser its a load of pompous rubbish that just smacks of O/U snobbery all the way. :look: :yes: Lots of other distractions at clay shoots other than semi autos daring to eject their cartridges and "upset" some plonker in the general vicinity who isn't taking a shot at the time........

People can shoot one another accidentally at clay grounds but generally don't - the same way that most ejected cartridges CAN "hit" others, but equally generally don't. How are the ejected cartridges going to "hugely distract" someone from their perfect score when only one shooter is actually shooting at a time on the DTL range and the cartridges eject slightly forwards and to the side of the gun? Who are they going to hit in order to "hugely distract" them from a shot that they aren't actually taking at that time anyway?

I agree with Harnser its a load of pompous rubbish that just smacks of O/U snobbery all the way. ??? :look: Lots of other distractions at clay shoots other than semi autos daring to eject their cartridges and "upset" some plonker in the general vicinity who isn't taking a shot at the time........

Sense at last on this one .

Harnser .

while shooting DTL the cartridge from a semi (that ejects through the side ) can hit the next person. This can hugely distract the person and put them off the shot. I was not discrimating against semis, staying the cant shoot trap disiplins, i was advising make sure it ejects through the bottom or you will make a lot of foes. :look:

Semis that eject from the bottom are not exactly easy to come by, and may not be suitable or right for all semiauto shooters anyway.....no-one is prescribing what O/U you can use, are they? If the sport governing bodies thought semi-autos were such a menace for competition shooting then I'm sure they'd have banned them by now. ???

If some body walked up and grabbed your bum just as you were about to shoot I could understand it putting you off . But an empty shell falling on the ground , give me a break . Mind you it wouldnt put me off if somebody grabbed my bum .

Harnser .

Very eloquently put, Harnser....

??? :look: :yes: :yes: :no:???

I will ignore Harsner's posts because he clearly has a stick up his **** about clay shooters in general :look:

For others who think it is not distracting, you have clearly never shot trap competitively, nor observed any of the etiquette that takes place in it. Such as not throwing you cartridges in the bin until the person after you has shot.

I will ignore Harsner's posts because he clearly has a stick up his **** about clay shooters in general :look:

For others who think it is not distracting, you have clearly never shot trap competitively, nor observed any of the etiquette that takes place in it. Such as not throwing you cartridges in the bin until the person after you has shot.

Not quite true paulos I do do a bit of clay shooting and must admit that I do enjoy it . I have been winding you up a little bit so to make amends If you get down Norfolk way I will take you out pigeon shooting If you can put up with the inconveniance of me shooting with a self loader and I promise not to grab your bum .

Harnser .

Have to say I'm with Paulos on this one. I'm not a regular DTL shooter but last week I was to the right of a semi and was hit at least 10 times in the round, and several times they clanged off my barrels. It didn't bother me cos we were only shooting for fun, but DTL is all about rhythm and concentration, even more so than skeet, and I can see how annoying it would be in a serious competition. Next time you shoot get someone to chuck an empty at you every time you are about to mount and you'll see what I mean. I'm a big fan of semis for sporting and rough shooting but they can cause some ill feeling in some disciplines so personally I use my O/U just out of courtesy. Having said that, I wouldn't advocate banning them because as has rightly been pointed out some shooters need the lower recoil. I've seen the spring things that deflect the shells downwards too and this seems like an ideal compromise to me.

well said, DTL is about concentration and making sue everything is the same every time you put your gun in your sholder. i shoot it as my main trap disiplin is i definaly rude and off putting have shells flying at you from a semi, like i say have it adapted so it ejects through the bottom.

well said, DTL is about concentration and making sue everything is the same every time you put your gun in your sholder. i shoot it as my main trap disiplin is i definaly rude and off putting have shells flying at you from a semi, like i say have it adapted so it ejects through the bottom.

Rubbish. What a load of tosh!! Why should semi auto shooters have their guns "adapted" to suit you and a load of other pompous / precious gun snobs who think their Krieghoff / Perazzi / DT10s / Mk38 s are the be-all-and-end-all of trap shooting?? As pointed out previously, my shells certainly do NOT "fly at you" as they would have to bend around a most unusual and unnatural trajectory in a semi circle to "hit" the next shooter up!!! In a word, attitudes like yours and other poor ickle chappies who are "upset" by an empty cartridge, are intolerant, elitist, snobbish and just plain PATHETIC !!! Oh and do tell just how you propose semi autos should be "adapted" from side eject to bottom eject?? Some gunsmithing that would be :oops:

Fact is, the rules as they stand allow semi-autos to be used in all the disciplines!! And for good reason!! :ermm::ermm::hmm:

Rubbish. What a load of tosh!! Why should semi auto shooters have their guns "adapted" to suit you and a load of other pompous / precious gun snobs who think their Krieghoff / Perazzi / DT10s / Mk38 s are the be-all-and-end-all of trap shooting?? As pointed out previously, my shells certainly do NOT "fly at you" as they would have to bend around a most unusual and unnatural trajectory in a semi circle to "hit" the next shooter up!!! In a word, attitudes like yours and other poor ickle chappies who are "upset" by an empty cartridge, are intolerant, elitist, snobbish and just plain PATHETIC !!! Oh and do tell just how you propose semi autos should be "adapted" from side eject to bottom eject?? Some gunsmithing that would be :oops:

Fact is, the rules as they stand allow semi-autos to be used in all the disciplines!! And for good reason!! :ermm::hmm::hmm:

I think you might need to chill out a little bit! :ermm:

This has nothing to do with snobbery, nor has it anything to do with the guns ability to break the targets - we all no that they are excellent for the job. The problem is with hitting the person next to you with empty shells - which defintily does happen!! I have shot DTL and ABT with people using autos and have been hit a number of times on both occasions. It doesn't hurt, I wasn't offended in any way but I was put off.

In regards to the gunsmithing to eject downwards - it is quite straightforward. It involves either a small piece of wire or plate which then deflects the shell downwards as it exits the breach. Simplez.

The wire attachments used in the US frequently are intended for single shot trap disciplines as they shoot there, not DTL- "having it adapted" means to me fundamentally changing the gun, which I would have thought would be via a gunsmith. The wire shellcatchers don't "eject the shells through the bottom", they catch the ejecting shell which is why they are not suitable for 2 cartridges, as they are intended to catch a single cartridge. Shucks bag attached to the receiver may work in some semis, (haven't tried it yet) but I think it may snag up on the Berettas. I certainly don't want to put others off their stride in any competition, but I am amazed at the level of intolerance I'm seeing here against semi auto users in trap disciplines. I would ask members of a squad if they'd find it a problem and would hope they'll actually be truthful about it, and try to shoot with people who don't find it a problem. Luckily not everyone does. However, concentration, if utilised at the highest levels, should not be affected by peripheral activity. :oops: