Roast Muntjac leg..

Ferretboy111

In the oven for 20 minutes at 220, then down to 170 for another 25 odd minutes, It was very tender, however i cooked it for an extra ten minutes and it could have been taken out earlier.

Wrapped in bacon, with rosemary, bay leaves, butter, S and P and red current jelly under the rashers.

Was so easy to do...

Many thanks

Alex

• 1 year later...

A late addition to this thread:

I have cooked a few Muntjac haunches this way, always came out very moist and tender. The last one was a few weeks back, and although I really like rare meat, the middle was underdone even by my own tastes.

No problem though, I was going away the next day so we ate the outermost meat that day and once cooled I froze the rest.

Yesterday I defrosted the remains, still on the bone, and quickly browned it in hot olive oil in the bottom of a small iron casserole. Having removed the meat from the pan I fried up some chopped onion/carrot/celery and back bacon with herbs and black pepper before lying the meat on top and pouring over some stock so the top of the meat was still showing.

I got that up to boiling point on the hob, put the lid on and then popped it in the oven at gas mark 4 for about an hour, not sure to be honest. Took it out about 20 mins before serving, while I was mashing spuds and cooking some broccoli.

It carved up really easily, still very tender and the meat, veg and stock all tasted lovely.