Sorry to bring this up again but I had too

Boromir

I don't normally add to threads like this but I suffered a similar experience about two years ago so here goes.

Apart from my Lab which is quite well trained and recalls instantly on command of the whistle or voice,I also have a Black Fell Terrier which for want of a better term is selectively deaf.

I was walking the Terrier on land which I shoot over on the lead, when she got noticed from a distance by a large Alsation/German Shephard type dog which made a beeline straight for us. I shouted to the owner to recall her dog and got the reply "he's alright just wants to say hello" I shouted back "you don't understand CALL YOUR DOG", at this point it arrived and with tail wagging went straight to Rags.Rags launched and latched onto the Alsations left cheek and shook and shook the Alsation was bleeding,I grabbed Rags and held her under my arm cos the Alsation certainly wasn't wagging anymore.At this point the woman arrived and launched into a tirade of verbal abuse closely followed by the boyfriend along with the sodding stupid comments of both myself and the dog ought to be shot etc,etc,.

After I gave a few choice words back I started to back off and was grabbed by the boyfriend who said I wasn't ******* going anywhere cos they were calling the police,unfortunately for him he grabbed my left arm where Rags was tucked and she snapped at him thankfully she didn't break the skin.

When the police arrived because it was their dog out of control and by definition Rags was under control by being on a lead,they WERE at fault,and the injury sustained is what happens when dogs are out of control.The guy then started to go off on one about being bitten by the dog and he wanted it destroyed,I explained that he accosted me while I had my dog under my arm and yes she snapped at him they asked if I intended to persue charges of assault needless to say I declined.

So if you can't control your dog either KEEP IT ON A LEAD or walk it out in the middle of nowhere.

As a postscript BFG you say you go beating I don't know what the shoot is like but if my Lab didn't respond immediately to my commands I'd get Kicked off the shoots I work on PDQ.

Mike...

Excellent post! Bottom line is if the dog is off the lead your liable because it is not under control.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your statement is a little misleading you say in one breath.....Please no posts saying its not the dogs fault....but then in another.....you blame the owner....but then you say you hate the breed....so what is it that you hate about the breed :hmm:

I dont like the breed because the power they have and that they think that they are a human and not a dog

As a postscript BFG you say you go beating I don't know what the shoot is like but if my Lab didn't respond immediately to my commands I'd get Kicked off the shoots I work on PDQ.

Mike...

My dog is fine when beating I dont allow him to play with other dogs, So he doesnt get excited and not respond as well.

He did very well last Saturday best ever for him. I let him have his moment of madness and we both paid the price.

Your situation about another dog running up to yours, you didnt purposely change direction and get close to them did you? People on here changing my story saying that the guy had probably had a purpose to change direction but he didnt 3 witness's agree with me who saw first hand. Just a dog owner looking for trouble that what he was up to, seeing what damage his dog could do a 35 yr old Chav for ya. Another funny thing was he let his dog off the lead when he got to the other side of the field.

BFG Looks like everybody trying to help you with this post by giving advice is wrong. Or could it be you are such an expert that you find it difficult to own up to the fact that you're wrong? By the way, is this the same dog thats destroyed your house or do you have a house full of untrained dogs? There is one thing in common with these poor dogs -and that is YOU!

As every one has tried to tell you -Accept it was your fault!

BFG Looks like everybody trying to help you with this post by giving advice is wrong. Or could it be you are such an expert that you find it difficult to own up to the fact that you're wrong? By the way, is this the same dog thats destroyed your house or do you have a house full of untrained dogs? There is one thing in common with these poor dogs -and that is YOU!

As every one has tried to tell you -Accept it was your fault!

I know its my fault as I said before about a zillion times but you must miss it somehow. You have to have been there and seen the situation the bit Im trying to push across is that the owner of the other dog deliberately came my way after choosing to change directions and did nothing to pull away his dog from mine. Ill say again just in case you missed it again I know it was my fault in the first place as my Dog was not on the lead.

And the dog that is chewing up stuff I just got so cant really blame me for that. Both dogs are usually good on and off the lead when dogs are about, I simply let him play with these other dogs and like a child when having fun he didnt listen as well.

I would like to see your dogs must be fully trained from the day they are born as from what I read most dogs will chew, can your dog do backflips yet?

Type of response I expected, Surely even you must realise that no dog is trained from the day it was born, that's why I say "you get out what you are prepared to put in". If I were you I'd start with the recall whistle and save yourself a lot of hassle. As far as Backflips are concerned - only in conjunction with triple summersaults!