CLA or MIDLAND

smig4373

Guest topshot_2k

midland is by far the best, its more focused on shooting/fishing without all the commercial **** found at the CLA. Plus its half the price to get in and there are more bargains :oops:

I've been to the Midland three times, and each time it took me over two hours to get in and the same getting out, a complete and utter shambles and I will never go again.

I've been to a lot of Game Fairs, County Shows etc and the best I've ever been to is the Edenbridge and Oxted show in Surrey, which is on this Bank Holiday weekend. Huge event, very well organised and something for everyone.

Cheers

I'd go for the CLA, it's bigger for a start and load of companies launch their innovations there, it's at ragley hall next year.

Are you sure the CLA Game Fair is at Ragley Hall next year HDF. I thought that the CLA had 4 venues that they rotated and they wouldn't have it anywhere else. The venues are Belvoir, Blenheim, Broadstairs? and Harewood nr. Leeds. I think they decided on this strategy as they had worked out a traffic management plan for those venues. I suppose some will now be wetting themselves laughing cos I think they still have traffic jams due to the very high levels of attendance.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the organizers of all the major game fairs but especially the CLA and the Midland are very close to slaying the goose that lays the golden egg. Entrance prices, camping fees and from what I've heard from exhibitors, enormously high trade rates all combined with a recession and the growth of internet shopping mean attendances will start to fall. The problem is the organisers will probably counter the falling numbers with price increases ;)

Mr (Doom & Gloom) Potter.

Are you sure the CLA Game Fair is at Ragley Hall next year HDF. I thought that the CLA had 4 venues that they rotated and they wouldn't have it anywhere else. The venues are Belvoir, Blenheim, Broadstairs? and Harewood nr. Leeds. I think they decided on this strategy as they had worked out a traffic management plan for those venues. I suppose some will now be wetting themselves laughing cos I think they still have traffic jams due to the very high levels of attendance.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the organizers of all the major game fairs but especially the CLA and the Midland are very close to slaying the goose that lays the golden egg. Entrance prices, camping fees and from what I've heard from exhibitors, enormously high trade rates all combined with a recession and the growth of internet shopping mean attendances will start to fall. The problem is the organisers will probably counter the falling numbers with price increases ;)

Mr (Doom & Gloom) Potter.

Nail on the head Sir...the CLA cost us well in excess of £3000.00 this year for 2 bits of grass!! :no::/

The turnout shuck was 132.000 for the CLA...7000 people camped...Traffic was ok to get in the CLA from the mansfield side...took us about an 45mins for the last 5/6 miles or so...which i expected TBH....I was there on the saturday too when the weather was really good...Its was my first time so i wasnt sure what to expect....

Midland every time and ive never spent more than 40mins getting in or out !

I always arrive at 7:30am and leave late on so take a packed lunch and buy tea there. the other option if travelling distance is to camp and well worth it to. I always used to camp with the folks but the last 2-3 years have only gone one day but it isnt enough to see all and when i look forward to it so much 2 days is a must to be satisfied !

:no:;)

I'd go for the CLA, it's bigger for a start and load of companies launch their innovations there, it's at ragley hall next year.

The CLA is at ragley hall in warwickshire next year...

Humble apologies to all, I should have done a google search before I posted and voiced my doubts (see a couple of posts back). I was sure the CLA had settled on the 4 venues I listed but things move on and Ragley Hall it is in 2010.

I have been to the last 7 or 8 Midland Game Fairs, camping with a group of friends (I'm getting too old for camping though) but I may have to miss it this year. Have always thought it is a very focused Game Fair concentrating on field sports with very few distractions. The last CLA I went to was at Harewood House which must be about 6 years ago. I only went for the day and came away feeling I had not seen even half of it. I was struck by the number of trade stands that had either no or only a tenuous link to country sports but the organiser(s) aren't going to turn away revenue now are they.

Actually, although I live about 120 miles away, Ragley Hall is a good venue as my sister lives about 5 miles away, I think I might be invited over for a long weekend and I can give the CLA another chance.

My original post still stands though we, the punter, are way beyond getting value for money from these game fairs and I can see them starting to decline. I don't know from which end though, will punters stop going because of high entrance fees or will the trade stop exhibiting due to extortionate stand fees?

Mr Potter

I have been to both many times.

The answer is it depends what you want.

If you want to go the biggest of them all the CLA is it, if you just want to go shopping the Midland is it.

Anyone who spends hours getting in or out is doing it wrong, and that applies to any event not just game fairs.

Last time we wen to the Midland we rolled straight in only slowing down to do the ticket thing, same as the CLA @ Blenhiem, you need get your backside out of bed, unless you actually enjoy traffic jams of course.

And don't forget to come back afterwards and tell us all how expensive the food was :blink: