Advantages of Laminated Stocks

badsworth

I am waiting for my ticket to come through before buying some rifles. The pros and cons of synthetic stocks are fairly obvious - but what is the score with laminated stocks? Looks to me like they weigh about the same and will still need to be cared for much like a wooden stock.

What do you think?

Badsworth

Any form of wooden stock will need equal amount of care. Oil nice and can be maintained eaiser than a harden finish. Laminated should be more stable but remember it is still made of wood and can move - weather etc. That may effect you groups as could a solid wood stock.

I have a synthetic stock and i like it. It looks cool and seems to be ware ok. However, I may be qualified to talk about wood but not synthetic.

Hope this is a little help :rolleyes:

Its all about personal choice. Some like synthetic furniture and some like wood. I personally like the laminate stocks. I have a Hogue stock on a 10/22 with is far superior than any **** plastic even the quality gun makers put on there rifles

I also have an after market laminate stock for the 10/22

Jonno

from my own experience with the rifle side ,i tend to side with Jonno, the laminate ,granted it needs a little care and attention, as do all things bright and beautiful , my one laminate on the 10-22 (prior posted) tends to be a lot more stable than the houge overmoulded on my other 10-22 ,therefore the laminated becomes the platform of choice for me ,i find the houge tends to act like a jello just personal preferance realy .

Martin

synthetic stocks are great if you know you cant take care of your rifles as they are difficult to mark, however i love a good looking rifle with a nice piece of wood and would anyday go for that. ive also noticed the fit to be poor on many synthetics meaning that the stock touches teh barrel, this can be fixed and can also be a problem with some wooden stocks, but ive noticed it alot more with synthetic.

i would go laminate or go for some real wood but not synthetic.

Have to agree. If you can look after it laminate looks good, feels good and give you a since of pride in you gun. I have found them to be more expensive though. I have been looking at a Tikia .222 and the lami is £100 more expensive.

Light will effect it and fade it no matter what anyone says it will. So some care required there. It won't happen overnight but reducing strong light from it is advisable in my book. Don't let this put you off, it would'nt me. Price is my bone of contention.

I love wood, I served my time as a carpenter, I am a wood turner and a carver. I use to dye and spray furniture that I made commercially. Saying that my prioity list for a stock would have to be:

1. Lami'

2. Synte'

3. Solid wood

If you shoot a lot at night, I think damage is more likely, plus you won't really see the gun that much. Here I would go Synte' 1st. :shoot: