Crayfish Recipes.

Pike

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope that keeps ya going for a while Pike.

Regards,

Axe.

axe 3 to 4 lb crayfish? the lads gotten a big duckpond. sorry 3 lakes. :blush::blush:

Thats the trouble with robbing american recipes, they often have different wording for different things. Recipe removed.

• 3 months later...
Guest The Outlaw

If anyone is interested in theese little monsters still, the Ouze near milton keynes ad all the canals and most of the lakes are alive with them.

I can put anyone that wants some in touch with a guy that owns a turf farm near here.

He will welcome anyone that wants to trap them.

The recipes look great, I might get a couple of traps my self.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

3lb to 4lb crayfish lets have pic up of them ,they are lovely to eat i used to catch mine in nets with mackrel as bait or a tin of oily mackrel the tin with puntrue holes in .caught a mink in one. one time he had drowned by the time i checked but that was in a 5 gallon plastic drum a home made cray trap. worked well.

• 8 months later...

crayfish traps available on ebay i bait mine with chicken wings i also take along a fishing rod and dont bother with a hook just tie a wing on and dangle in the shallows i have 2 traps and a 2 hour session on my local river midsummer will produce an average of 100 of the tasty little critters ( MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE RED CLAWED SIGNAL CRAYFISH) white native crayfish are protected a check on the governments web site will give you plenty of info . the rules have changed and unless you have a licence you are not allowed to catch them they are saying that trappers were only taking the larger ones if the larger ones are left they will eat the eggs and eat the smaller ones self culling sort of thing the one exeception is if you are a fisherman and you catch one or a hundred on a rod and line baited with say a chicken wing for roach you can take them home and cook them . it is against the law to return signal crayfish to the water where it came from you could be prosecuted for illegle stocking .applying for a licence aint worth the hassle i looked into it and you have to have your traps inspected and tagged you need to inform the athouritys a few weeks in advanced of your intentions your exact grid referance location of your pots the time start to finish of trapping and loads more red tape (hence the fishing rod ) :good:

• 1 month later...

This is from Valantine Warner's 'What to eat now' program:

Crayfish with hazelnut and pastis butter

Ingredients

For the stuffing

1 large handful slightly stale, rustic-style bread, torn into pieces

large handful hazelnuts

1 lemon, zest and juice

125g/4oz butter, cut into small cubes

2 garlic cloves, chopped

splash pastis

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

large handful fresh parsley leaves, chopped

For the crayfish

30 raw signal crayfish (substitute with langoustines if unavailable)

lemon wedges, to serve

Method

1. Preheat the grill to its highest setting.

2. Place the bread into a food processor and blend into medium-sized breadcrumbs.

3. Add the remaining stuffing ingredients, except for the parsley, to the breadcrumbs and blend until thoroughly combined. (If it becomes a lump, remove the lid and break it up a little with a spoon.) Stir in the chopped parsely.

4. For the crayfish, using a sharp knife, cut all of the crayfish lengthways from tip to tail. Remove any waste sacs from the crayfish.

5. Arrange the crayfish, side-by-side, on a roasting tray. Smear up a generous amount of the stuffing onto the flesh side of each crayfish half.

6. Sprinkle the crayfish with salt and place under the grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes, or until completely cooked through. The shells will turn completely red when cooked. If there are any remaining signs of dark brown or blue colouring, they are not ready and require a few minutes more.

7. To serve, transfer the cooked crayfish to a plate, and arrange in rows. Serve with lemon wedges.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

easy crayfish - ask your local fishmonger for a bag of heads/guts and pop them in the freezer.Buy a handfull of traps from ebay.shove a small handfull of the frozen bait in the traps and fix the trap to about 5-6 metres of coloured rope.chuck said trap in river in the evening(its less likely to get nicked overnight) and pull it out early the next day.put the horrid little critters in a bucket of fresh water until you need them-this helps to purge them.Any stretch of the ouse is gauranteed to produce the blighters in quantity and the milton keynes stretch is where they originally escaped.You are very unlikely to catch a native crayfish as the signal has all but wiped them out.p.s. you need a licence from DEFRA to trap them-i must admit that of all the people i know who catch crayfish-ive never come accross anybody who has one- :o

A client's fishing tenant on a substantial irrigation reservoir adjoining on of the rivers here in Essex trapped 2,400kg of signal crayfish in 2008. Abstracting water from the river is necessary for the coming year's spud crop, but the reservoir is suddenly alive with little pincered things. I'm collecting some off him next week, so I will give the recipes a try. If they taste as good as I hope, I'll be buying myself some traps and a DEFRA licence. Free crayfish, to complement my diet of free venison, rabbit and pigeon.

A client's fishing tenant on a substantial irrigation reservoir adjoining on of the rivers here in Essex trapped 2,400kg of signal crayfish in 2008. Abstracting water from the river is necessary for the coming year's spud crop, but the reservoir is suddenly alive with little pincered things. I'm collecting some off him next week, so I will give the recipes a try. If they taste as good as I hope, I'll be buying myself some traps and a DEFRA licence. Free crayfish, to complement my diet of free venison, rabbit and pigeon.

if you get the defra licence please post how easy or hard it was to get cheers ???

I seem to rememberl that the DEFRA licence does not just involve paying your money and getting it via the postman.As i recall you have to provide written permission on a stretch of river previously deemed under threat by DEFRA and then you have to submit reports on each time you catch them and what species they are-unless things have changed you can see why very few people bother with a licence.

Edited by bruno22rf

Anybody know of anywhere in kent that has these tasty little snacks present?

The Basingstoke canal is full of them.

Have been told tie bait (chicken carcase, fish ect) to a bicycle wheel. Attach rope to hub of wheel lower into water. Wait a while, lift out swiftly. The crayfish will have thier legs tangled in the spokes. Job done.

Im willing to bet that any river in your area that has fish also has these critters-you never see them but the *****s are most likely there in great numbers(just outside my village runs a ditch that is no more than 6 inches deep at the deepest point-i can catch loads in this water but never see any).Traps are cheap on flea-bay and scraps of fish are free from your fishmonger-look to get between 4-10 in each trap per night.They taste fantastic ( which is their main down-fall!) and ive yet to meet a fishing club that wont welcome you with open arms if you ask to trap them.If you fancy a go and dont mind a jaunt up to bucks in the summer you are most welcome to come along with me -bring some traps and i will show you how easy it is.

most canals are full to the brim with them-take a walk along the towpath and have a chat with a couple of anglers-i find late evening the best time to set the traps cos they dont tend to get nicked overnight.Tie them to a peg with nylon rope long enough to reach about 3-4 yards out and leave a marker that you can see to mark the position-i use a clothes peg-warning -dont offer them your fingers when you catch them-they are well armed and allways in an aggressive frame of mind!If you are going to trap in the canal i would recommend leaving them in fresh water (in a bucket with a lid if possible) for at least 24 hours-this will purge out any nasties in the gut.When they come out of the water they are horrible to see-greyish green and resemble a huge woodlouse in many ways-they turn pink when you cook them.

winter time most of them are dormant the temp of the water needs to be 5 degrees or higher though this is what i read somewhere if you google it you will get the answer i have never put my pots out in winter so its hearsay but if you have no sucess try the warmer months also i tried my local canal in one area pots out 2 hours not a sniff i moved half a mile lower down and caught 30ish in first half hour

Edited by hollycopter

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have to share this simple, bit amazing recipie, that I love:

whenever I go to London, no matter where in London, I go to 'Make Mine' in Soho, which makes the best crayfish sarnie :good:

It's simply a ciabatta (nice thick and soft, not the supermarket hard and thin one) with crayfish in a Marie Rose sauce and roquet.

It's truly a sandwich, which is beyond all others. I cannot reccomend this sandwich company enough!9

• 1 year later...

Crayfish in Pasta

Ingredients

4 tbsp Olive oil, plus extra for drizzling

2 Chillies, finely chopped

2 garlic clove, chopped

500g raw crayfish tails

1 bunch of wild rocket

1 bunch of flat-leafed parsley, finely chopped

500g fresh tagliolini

100ml dry white wine

juice of 1 lemon

salt and fresh ground black pepper

55g unsalted butter, softened

25g dry breadcrumbs

50ml vegetable stock

Method

1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add in the chopped chilli, garlic and crayfish tails. Fry for 30 seconds.

2. Add the rocket and the parsley.

3. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add in the tagliolini and blanch for 1 minute.

4. Strain, shake well to dry and add to the sauce in the pan.

5. Pour the wine into the sauce, add the lemon juice, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and bring the mixture to the boil.

6. Add the vegetable stock and butter, and toss the mixture vigorously to combine the sauce with the pasta.

7. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, drizzle with olive oil and serve.

df512fe1.jpg

• 7 years later...