25-06 or 6.5x55

henry d

I`ve been thinking of getting a 6.5 for a while and was just about sold on the idea until I,foolishly,went into the local gunshop and saw a 25-06 ruger (77) laminated stock heavy barrel(fluted)complete with mounts and T8 for£500.I had,sort of,settled for the tikka T3 varmint,as I have a 222 tikka 595 and like it.I intend to shoot fallow and possibly fox(not sure if the FLO will let me)up here and roe down in good old blighty.So please let me know what you think......thanks in advance :shoot:

i havent much experiance with the 25-06, it should be a quick round as to my knoledge its bassed on a 30-06 catridge, just necked down to 25cal.

i personally love the 6.5 but cant say whether it would be more or less accurate than the 6.5, but i can say this...its got to be a damned good round to be better than the 6.5. i would tend (personal thing here) to steer clear of the rugers, the 77 is probably their best rifle, but in my opinion its not as good a rifle as the tikka, but then thats what you pay for.

6.5 is a great round, has some very good characteristics.....i.e low recoil for the ammount of lead it puts down range, and an inherant accuracy, it also moderates nicely and with a t8 is more quiet than my fathers 222 with a t4 (both identicle rifles)

personally i would have the 6.5, but i would seek the advice of a 25-06 owner 1st as there is no reason that cant be just as good a round.

The 25-06 has a reputation as a bit of a barrel-burner as well as being bloody loud. :shoot:

The 6.5X55 would be the one to go for out of the two.

As for Rugers… saw a nice single shot falling block at the game fair a few years ago. Lovely rifle with an extremely good trigger (obviously been worked on). The only trouble was, it was in 20-06 and not the .222 that I wanted at the time. :sly:

As with all rifles you will get good and bad, so see if you can get to try one first.

G.M.

He’s correct on this Nick. There can be a condition added to your ticket that allows you to shoot foxes whilst out shooting deer.

The wording goes something like “For deer and the occasional fox whilst stalking”.

This is a bit of a double edged sword really, because although you can shoot foxes with it, you can’t do it unless your primary quarry is deer.

Now how the hell they are supposed to know that is the problem, although it would leave you in the doo doo if you were caught shooting at night.

It would be the easiest thing to claim that you were after deer in the day, but shooting deer at night is illegal, so you wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if caught.

I was looking for the same condition on my ticket for my .243, but when it came back they had just put “For foxes” on it, and had left the “Deer” out completely. :shoot:

G.M.

thats the strangest thing ive ever heard, as you say its an almost un policable rule on your lisence, unless your using it at night how are they meant to tell.

oh well i stand corrected, very intresting that, my dad has the intresting situation on his ticket that he can use the 6.5 for foxes on any land he deems suitable (open cert) but can only shoot deer on land cleared for 6.5, so he is out foxing and see's a deer, he is shooting the same deer legal round, taking the same very safe shot apart from this time the target is larger and suddenly the police have to have something to do with it.

strange bunch these plods :shoot:

Edited by dunganick

Thanks again everyone......It seems that the 6.5 is again top of the wish list.....so it`s off to the GC GAME FAIR and pester the gun traders :) P.S.Dunganick I`ve been stopped by the boys in blue a couple of times whilst lamping and I think it`s best to have all bases covered,and remember it`s not just calibre it`s bullet weight and velocity/energy.

Edited by henry d

England, Wales and Northern Ireland-

For deer of any species a minimum calibre of .240 inches (.236 inches in Northern Ireland) and a minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement. In Northern Ireland the minimum bullet weight is 100 grains.

Scotland-

For deer of any species the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

or

For roe deer the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds.

G.M.

Thanks again everyone......It seems that the 6.5 is again top of the wish list.....so it`s off to the GC GAME FAIR and pester the gun traders  P.S.Dunganick I`ve been stopped by the boys in blue a couple of times whilst lamping and I think it`s best to have all bases covered,and remember it`s not just calibre it`s bullet weight and velocity/energy.

im not quite sure why i needed to be told this....i am aware of this so im not sure why i am being told this :) , but thanks anyway :)

Edited by dunganick