Glensman

OK lads, think I'm in the market for a .223 and was hoping for some advice...

I was thinking between a Remmy 700 SPS Varmint

A Ruger M77 MKII

Or a Tikka T3 (which model I don't know) :blush:

Second-hand is a Must :blink:

The main purpose of this gun would be foxing, I like to push a round to its limit so accuracy would be a factor, I also quite like a heavy gun. Also I'm a fan of a gun holding its value so I'd like to factor that in too... It's unlikely that I'll be re-loading so something that likes factory loads would be nice. I also like a nice piece of wood or laminate, but I'm not adverse to synthetic!

Hope I've been descriptive enough about what I like, I have little experience of centrefire rifles so advice from the experts is always a help <_<

a lot of guys say the remmy needs some fettling to shoot right. ruger may have a heavy trigger.out of the 3 tikka would be my choice but the humble cz mzy be bought cheap second hand and shoot well too.who do you deal with over here.i had a price of £580 for the remmy in synthetic about 8 weeks ago.new that is

Just what the guys are saying above really,

I've a brand new T3 hunter in .223 - woods fantastic, shoots like a dream from the box, and it'll hold its value. I would definately go with a Tik.

I've also sent a PM -

Tom

Cheers for all the responses lads!

To be honest I thought about a T-3 before when I was going for a .243, but the whole DSC thing ****** me off so much I just said balls to it and left it. Now the foxin is comin around again I wouldn't mind somethin with more punch than the .22 WMR, although I may rely on it for another season.

From what I've read above a Tikka Varmint in Stainless may be the job... I'll keep my eyes open :blink:

can i ask, why a 223. A 22-250 has the same sized bullet but a 223 has a smaller charge than the 22-250. So buying a 223 is like buying a airrifle that runs at 7 ftlbs rather than buying one that runs at 12ftlbs.

Well the primary reason was that I heard that 22-25o's are a very expensive round. Now to be honest, I don't claim to be any expert on centrefire rifles, so if you can educate me I'd be delighted :blink:

I have a Remington 700 Classic going for £450 if you want a Remmy.

Cheers

Shorty

It takes that long to get a variation here that I'm sure your Remmy will be LONG sold before I'll be parting with any cash... From what I've read I think the Tikka will win the day, but I have 2 Rugers so an M77 may tempt me.

Although I hadn't thought of the 22-250, just read it's good in wind. That would be an advantage, and the extra power would be useful for a dedicated fox gun :stupid:

I,ve got the cz cause its what i could afford at the time, it has a wildcat mod and is in nice condition. I use a deben tracer for lamping but only have an ags scope at the moment which isnt suitable realy, not a bad scope but just not good enough for the purpose im using it for so will be changing in the future.

The rifle itself is superb for the money but i would say at a pound a shot it can run expensive and is also very differant to a rimfire, my original purchase was going to be a t3 hunter in wood but i got the cz at less than half the price so i thought it would be worth a go, as for use its for foxing and to be honest im yet to bag one with it so still some work to be done.

MY advice would be listen to your loal rfd and tell him what you want, if he's worth his salt he will be honest enough to guide you in the right direction, so you can allways go back for more advice. The cz i bought is more than adequate for what i need and my advice would be to spend what you need to spend, dont go mad for the sake of it, its easy to get carried away.

and what about price of a 22-250 round, how would it compare to .223?

To be honest I've had a lot of luck with second hand guns so far, I think you can get a lot more gun for your money... I have S & B's on my other 2 rifles and I don't think I would sacrifice optics quality ever again (I learnt my lesson with a S--tty Bushnell)

a 22-250 will always be flatter than the 223, its faster with the same weight bullet. Price of bullets i dont think really matters as you wont be shoting hundreds of foxes per year. Not like shooting rabbits. The only problem i have with buying a second hand rifle the sometimes the rifleing can be worn out .

Edited by zipdog

a 22-250 will always be flatter than the 223, its faster with the same weight bullet. Price of bullets i dont think really matters as you wont be shoting hundreds of foxes per year. Not like shooting rabbits. The only problem i have with buying a second hand rifle the sometimes the rifleing can be worn out .

Thanks Zipdog... Is it hard/possible to check the rifling?