Rabbit Shot with .22-250 55gr Taipan HP

Markbivvy asks why not ?

Because I can see no reason whatsoever for the need to shoot rabbits with a .22-250 or a .223.

We all talk about respecting our quarry (well most do!), and in my mind there is

absolutely no respect at all shown to your quarry if you blow it to bits.

If you want to show off your marksmanship, shoot at paper targets, where you can prove how good, or how bad, your marksmanship is.

Or maybe it's just a total lack of fieldcraft that people have to use those means to kill for fun.

Markbivvy asks why not ?

Because I can see no reason whatsoever for the need to shoot rabbits with a .22-250 or a .223.

We all talk about respecting our quarry (well most do!), and in my mind there is

If you want to show off your marksmanship, shoot at paper targets, where you can prove how good, or how bad, your marksmanship is.

Or maybe it's just a total lack of fieldcraft that people have to use those means to kill for fun.

i agree with you

Markbivvy asks why not ?

i agree with you

Browning, Hawkeye, where I shoot the farmer pays me to keep the rabbits off his land, aswell as foxes. I can aprreciate what you are saying and I do have a great deal of respect for all quarry, but a clean kill is a clean kill.

I have no respect or take any pleasure in seeing people take careless shots with .22s or air rifles causing undue suffering, but as I said a clean, quick kill is what we all strive to acheive. Here's a quote from the BASC website: -

"(We occasionally hear the word "overkill" used by members of the Licensing Authority when a certificate holder has applied for a rifle of a certain calibre. The word is inappropriate. "Overkill" is calling in an airstrike to obliterate a village because there is a sniper in the church tower. It has no place in civilian rifle shooting. From the perspective of the target animal the rifle can hardly be too powerful provided the rifleman can shoot it accurately.)"

I just feel that whatever we are shooting, so long as the animal does not suffer unnecessarily then the shot is is a good one, whether or not the carcas is intact is I feel irrelevant, unless it is for the table or trophy.

Anyone who shoots rabbits usually punches a hole through the rabbits skull or body, and if damage to the body is not desired in your opinion then maybe we should think of other means to control these "pests".

Just my opinion, and I'm aware others may feel differently, my intention was not to upset anyone, just share what I thought was a good capture of that calibres power in comparison.

i understand perfectly that a kill is a kill and using a rifle that size to shoot such a small animal will result in clean kills. but i do find the attitudes of the people who do it to be slightly disturbing. shooting a rabbit with a 22-250 is one thing, but why the need to record it on video? all the emphasis seems to be taken from fieldcraft, marksmanship and vermin control and focused on how much you can blow the animal to pieces. weve all seen gory sights when shooting, its an underlying factor in what we do, but why the need to broadcast it? it really is perfect ammunition for any antis that may see it. it seems as though most of these videos are from america, so please let them stay there.

and marcbivvy, you say "why not? if its legal", thats all well and good but very narrow-minded, it might be legal, but that could change very quickly if the antis apply the right pressure. weve all seen how the government sneaks in bills to try and limit shooters. videos of rabbits being blown to pieces is perfect bait for the naive public to rise to.

paul

Edited by paulos

My Grandfather was a superb marksman, Regiment clay and rifle Champion, could shoot the eye out of a Potato at 150 + yards with his .223.... Something he always advocated which always remains clearly imbedded in my memory...

" Use the right calibre for the right quarry " " a man who has no respect for his game, has no respect for himself "

My local plod would take a very dim view of using a .22-250 on a rabbit especially at night, and though I appreciate the quarry was dispatched cleanly was it Humane in the sense of the word. With respect Ashley I dont think you would be doing yourself any favours using an elephant gun on a mouse.

FM.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

FM, I think your local "Plod" would have to justify his dim view as correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the .22-250 designed to be a long range vermin/varmint calibre the same as the .243 was designed to be a flat shooting long range vermin/varmint calibre and rabbits are vermin, am I correct.

After doing some research I find it funny to discover that the debate on using a .22-250 for such quarry/pests that include rabbits completely contridicts what that calibre was designed to be used for in the first place, maybe the use of expanding ammunition or reduced range from the target is the real problem here?

If you are shooting under the guise of 'pest control' I have no problem at all with using a larger calibre to dispatch them.

The reality is that they are still pests, and still need controlling.

Personally..........I prefer to eat what I shoot!!, and enjoy a good stalk and shoot, rather than abliterating quarry at a quarter of a mile away.

One has to wonder how you cant spot them at that range.

Personally I have no problem with shooting small things with large calibres, its just a bit extreme.

you could think of it like the military using 105mm artillery in person to person combat, its on the same sort of scale.

lb is right, people will never agree,

my view is.....dead is dead if the user and al the surrondings allow then what is wrong you are less likely to get a runner with a centerfire and can take out rabbits at longer ranges. shooting at long ranges is harmless they carry so much energy that if you hit the thing anywhere it will die instantly through the shock wave imparted.

then again its a shame to ruin the meat, but then a pest is a pest.

Guest Mr Pieman

Could you get a 22-250 or 223 etc granted solely for shooting rabbits at distance? I think not :shoot:

If you need to prove how good you are at the long shots, use paper, even a tin can if you wish.

PP

you can get them for this, well for vermin, which is just all the vermin species, as neither 223 or 22-250 are deer legal, what other use do they have.....fox and bunny guns

i dont see peoples problem with rabbits being shot at long range with centerfires, they are such small animals that any connection with the bullet results in an instant death, shooting at long range is just another useful skill to have when foxing, and means that you can shoot more rabbits from a safe position (say from one side of a steep valley to the other) where an approach with airgun or rimfire would not bea safe shot, or the rabbits would get scent or line of sight with you, im not saying these techniques dont have their place, i really do enjoy a good stalk. but every method has its place.

i will however draw the line at shooting prarie dogs in the numbers the yanks do, that is just slaughter of too many animals and there is something wrong about shooting that number of animals (almost contridicting myself here)

i will however draw the line at shooting prarie dogs in the numbers the yanks do, that is just slaughter of too many animals and there is something wrong about shooting that number of animals (almost contridicting myself here)

So how many is enough or the right number?

We know there are forces (some of them at BASC) who think we should have bag limits over here. All this thinking will lead to is outlawing or restricting shooting to licensed pest controllers - who have demonstrated on a case by case basis that other methods have failed. Sound familiar?

i think a bag limit wouldbe too hard to police and would hinder the progress of serious professional pest controllers

with centerfires if you are shooting from long range, becuase of the slightly unsporting approach i probably wouldnt take any more than 15 - 20 in an evening, not that ive ever come near that

but the americans do like 400 dogs in a good afternoon session and the shooting is so fast many replace their barrels after each meeting, that is where i find the problem, shooting things for the sake of shooting them, once youve done 20 or so you know you can do it if you want to, and to be honest i would have trouble shooting 20 rabbits in an evening on any of my permissions, not becuase they arnt there, but becuase im not out to kill all of the rabbits, just the older ones

a bag limit is a nice idea, but it could not be policed properly and would hinder the progress of people who need to take larger numbers.

and it would be yet another law clamping down our allready disapearing sport

As long as we have our land in private ownership, I don't think there will be need for bag limits of any type.

Bag limits only appear to be necessary or politically correct in countries where Joe Public is free to roam anywhere with a gun under his arm.

Guest Mr Pieman

Markbivvy,

I don't think they'll ever ban shooting paper targets or tin cans :)

Wouldn't want you to be worrying unnecessarily :) :( :lol: :blink:

PP