Rabbit Shot with .22-250 55gr Taipan HP

I agree with Nick, dont see any harm shooting bunnys at long distances :ernyha: .

I shoot the odd bunny and crow with my .204 out to 250 to 300yds and when that v.max gets to them even only cliping them, its lights out mate :lol: .

Its far more humane than a .22 sub wounding them and having them squeeling and running off down a hole B) , and then dying slowly :*) , not good.

I dont go mad and shoot one after the other as apart from your barrel getting v. hot, its expensive, centrefire ammo is not cheap :lol: .

On or two prehaps 3 at the most is fine for me.

I agree with Nick, dont see any harm shooting bunnys at long distances :ernyha: .

I shoot the odd bunny and crow with my .204 out to 250 to 300yds and when that v.max gets to them even only cliping them, its lights out mate :lol: .

Its far more humane than a .22 sub wounding them and having them squeeling and running off down a hole B) , and then dying slowly :*) , not good.

I dont go mad and shoot one after the other as apart from your barrel getting v. hot, its expensive, centrefire ammo is not cheap :lol: .

On or two prehaps 3 at the most is fine for me.

These were my thoughts exactly. I can't see any harm in shooting long range rabbits provided that you use the correct calibre for the job rather than being over-confident with a .22 rimfire or similar.

There's also that bonus like you say frank that when using V-max or similar ballistic tip bullets, a hit anywhere on the animal even a leg shot and the bullet expands so violently that the body is hit anyway. Can't see air rifles or rimfires doing that let alone at 200+ yards.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a gorgeous Anshutchz 1417 carbine in .22LR and love it to bits. It puts 5 bullets through the same hole at 50 yards and is as close to silent as I will ever wish for, but any targets over 100 to 150 yards at a push and I'll leave that rifle in the safe a use a more suited tool for the job. As I will say it's "horses for courses".

Ashley.

its a hobby, and a way of providing an area of pest control, im quite happy to fork out the extra 25p for a 222 cartridge so i can shoot them at a longer distance, i enjoy the challenge, everyone has part of the sport they like, some wont ever understand why others enjoy certain things, but this is the nature of humans

i enjoy it you might not or might not see the sense, im sure you wouldnt object to it happening, this is where we differ from anti's, we can see something, appreciate its usefullness and allow it to happen even though you might not agree with it, not just say 'i dont like it' and get it banned

damned anti's

that was a nice little rant :lol: not aimed at you hill billy, just the wider anti B)

im quite happy to fork out the extra 25p for a 222 cartridge so i can shoot them at a longer distance, i enjoy the challenge

Surely a bigger challenge would be to use a bit of fieldcraft and get to within rimfire range?

You'd then have something left to eat!

i find an equal challenge to head shoot them at 250 yards and you still have something left, and i can garuntie if i mess up my shot that even though i ruin the meet, if i connect with the animal at all it will be killed humainly.

as i said, i can see the challenge in both skills, and infact do like the challenge of both. theres just something about taking very long shots that appeals to me

i find an equal challenge to head shoot them at 250 yards and you still have something left, and i can garuntie if i mess up my shot that even though i ruin the meet, if i connect with the animal at all it will be killed humainly.

as i said, i can see the challenge in both skills, and infact do like the challenge of both. theres just something about taking very long shots that appeals to me

I think this is why I enjoy shooting so much, taking variables into consideration, allowing for them and consequently hitting the target. I feel that shooting a target at further distances provided you are confident in your equipment and capabilities provides a greater sense of acheivement from a marksman point of view than shooting a centrefire or rimmy at 50 yards.

There are two sides to shooting in my opinion, There are those who prefer the challege of long shots who take into account wind, bullet drop, temperature etc to hit the target, and there are those who practice good field craft walking down wind from their target and with the use of camo possibly getting as close to there target as practical before dispatching it.

I too enjoy both but perhaps I'm lazy on my feet, I just enjoy finding a good vantage point with safe shooting up to 400 yards and waiting for something to show itself, at any distance 50 - 400 yards. That said trying to stalk foxes to within 50 yards is again a very rewarding experience.

I think we should all just get out there and enjoy ourselves,

Happy shooting everyone! :lol:

Ashley.

Hi,

The point of harvesting quarry is to eat it! I shoot rabbits with a .22 air rifle and if you test your fieldcraft and get closer enough and shoot them in the head you don't wound them. There is no skill or fieldcraft envolved shooting and decapatating them at great distances. I do not mean to have a go at you or tell you how to shoot (Iam hardly an expert!) but hunting isn't always shooting quarry at long ranges. However I can see your point about getting a clean kill with a centerfire though! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

The point of harvesting quarry is to eat it.

if you want to eat em mate do so. but some of us do it as pest control.

not there to play in the farmers field, only takeing the odd one now and again.

but to them that do,so be it, who are we to tell the next man how to do his sport, job, hobby, if i think a job wants a 223 it gets it. or if i want to go mouching for the odd bit of vermin with the .22 i will. i allways use the 12 for birds, when i could use a 410. or a 20.

You'd then have something left to eat!

mmmmmm. how many pigeons and rabbits can you lot eat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a good one, plenty of opinions. Here's my 2 cent worth. A question for all those who said it is unsporting and not respecting the quarry. When ye are out pigeon shooting in your hide and a bird comes from the side and swoops straight past your hide 6 feet from the end of the barrels, do you A) let is off because you will ruin the meat hitting at such close range or B) pull hard through it and use pure instinct to get your lead right and fire. If you hit it there is a huge puff of feathers and you gentle sit back into your hide beaming with pride, and then the inevitable comment to your buddy "**** me, did you see the speed of that lad". Now all who answered A please don't forget to go to Church on Sunday and ask the Lords forgivness for lying.........

It's the same thing guys, I'm not saying you go out to burst pigeons but we all do it during a days shooting. If Ashleybrook goes out with a centerfire to shoot rabbits, you might think the weapon a bit strong for the job but people in glass houses blah blah blah.........

theres an auld sayin..one mans meat is another mans poison..ah dont see the harm in it if its done safely, stalkin up to any quarry can be a buzz but so can having the skill and confidence to kill a rabbit at over 200 yards with a large cal rifle, if youv done your shooting on paper and you know exactly where that rounds going to hit then i say good luck to any man that wants to do it...like i said in a previous post its all down to freedom of choice and as shooters we should surely agree on that one..some one mentioned anties and what they'll think about it, well i for one couldnt give a toss because no matter what we do and how we do it there always gonna disagree with us, they want all kinds of hunting banned and no matter how its done there gonna squeel and shout about it.... :lol: there iv had my rant so carry on lads... ;):)