Has your dog ever?

henry d

Went out with the dogs as usual for the constitutional and the youngster was ahead of us by about 30 yds,when she dived into the Himalayan balsam.There was an almighty clatter of wings and out she comes as pleased as punch with a fully fit woodpigeon in her mouth.I normally chap any pegged game and this pigeon was given the same treatment.I then plucked it to see if she was hard on it and the skin was only just torn,so Ladies and Gents whats the strangest thing your dog has pegged?

Went to stay at my mothers once and my Labrador had the leg of lamb away! Good as gold, the old dear retreived it from the dog, wiped it down and served it up!

Then another dog of mine used to pull chicken fillets out from underneath a hot grill! Had to be seen to be believed.

RTD

A good few years ago, my old springer was wading in the shallows of a local gravel pit, when he plunged its head into the water and pulled out a flapping 6lb bream!!!

Luckily he brought it thrashing to hand, covered in slime,

and it was returned relitively unhurt, The bream evidently were spawning in huge shoals just below the surface, and he could resist.

................ strange.............but very true!!

I was fishing one day and for a change took my Lab with me. I was catching a small roach or skimmer every chuck and noticed that the dog was taking a bit of interest in my catches. The next one, a little roach I unhooked and showed it to him, he gave it a sniff, then gently took it from me. This was followed by two crunches and a gulp and a look as if to say 'next one please!'

As for pegging, well he has accounted for his fair share of pheasants! Other victims have been redleg and grey partridge, woodcock(!) mallard, brown hare, rabbits, rats, mouse, moorhens,scaup, red throated diver (oiled), rooklets and young woodies. My brothers springer has a tally that includes short eared owl and kestrel!

Springer I had once had a frozen chicken portion swallowed whole, after the cat knocked off the bench where it was defrosting. :<

Also had a partridge out of a covey from the middle of a football field at night. :lol:

Regularly had rabbits from the tattie rows as well. :ernyha:

My retired Lab had a short eared owl that fell out of a tree when a shot was fired at a pheasant (completely different direction so it was not shot). Retrieved it to hand completely unharmed and I then put it on a branch where it recovered and flew off. :lol:

New Lab has had a couple of young pigeons what the cats had had a go at and left.