problems with my scope

hill billy

i have just recently just brought a remington 700 in 22-250 it was second hand and had only fire roughly 60 shots it came with a biopd sling moderator and was fitted with a weaver 6-24-40 scope when i came to zero the rifle it was already hitting the paper at 100 yards which was good but when i got it close to zero but the adjuster hit the end of its travel, so i was just wondering if you people knew what might be wrong with it thanks a lot

jason

my advice in a situation like this (which ive seen i dont know how many times) take the scope off and take the mounts off, make sure you havent got the different parts of the rings matching (i think most companies put a machineing groove inside the ring to show the matching set) and then stick it all back on and try again.

if the problem persists it might be a dudd scope or maybe two completely different mounts.

you start getting into gunsmithing teritory, my advice take it of put it back on check that its all straight try to bore sight it and then give it another go, if it still dosent shoot straight then take it back to the gunshop and tell them, i would imagine they would help even if they arnt obliged to

Edited by dunganick

Hillbilly,

When ever i buy a new scope i always wind the dials all the way one way, then count the clicks until you have gone all the way the other way and then wind it half the amount of clicks back so that i always start with the reticule centered within the scope.

Not a great amount of help but its a good place to start. :)

Cheers,

Brian...

HillBilly, are you talking about windage or elevation?

Windage can be adjusted by using adjustable mounts with allen keys.

I read somewhere once, a recommendation that you line the rings with fine glass paper or emery cloth to grip the scope tube. Doing this to just one ring might be enough to solve an elevation problem.

First off - take it all off your gun. Why? Because it is obviously set up incorrectly.

Your scope is a Varmint v24 - right? Duplex dot reticule and eye relief of about 3 inches.

So, clean the gun and the mounts and put your mounts on. Some people smooth them out with wet-and-dry or similar but most don't need to be touched. They should be absolutely parallel - use a broom handle or similar to straighten them out - dont use the scope. If you twist or ding the scope it's knackered.

Find out where the centre point of the reticule is - they are all different. Look at the box, check the website, send an e-mail. I have a nightforce that is biased 70/30 so that the target turret can be used for elevation to put you on target hundred of yards out. Find the centre and set it to that.

Sit the scope in the base mounts and bore sight it at about 100m. If you want to do it really properly :) then know where the bullet should land at 100m and set it that way. I imagine about an inch below zero so as to have a dead zone out to about 180m. Make sure that the rifle is held securely when you do this - you don't want it to move. Spend some time getting the rifle held rock steady - black and decker workmate should do it!

Check eye relief and that the vertical staden of the reticule points absolutely vertically down through the rifle. This way, when you hold the rifle in the shoulder, it is vertical. when you pull the trigger the recoil will happen the right way and not pull the rifle off to the side.

Put on the top half of mounts and tighten them like you would do an engine. Each one bit by bit. Check as you go. Use a good allen key and take it easy.

Scope fitted! :)

Now any adjustments can be done with the windage and elevation turrets to get it spot on.

Bye bye bunny, bye bye

RTD