Browning A bolt and Howa/Weatherby

ferretmanabu

I hope I'll be looking for a .308 sometime soon (pending variation approval) and tried a browning a bolt in a gunshop. I quite liked the feel of it on my shoulder and the bolt was nice and smooth. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these in terms of reliability, accuracy and durability in the field? It'll be a stalking rifle and the shop has it for around 500 quid with a niko sterling on it. That's the kind of price I'm looking to pay so any other suggestions for second hand rifles welcome.

I also shouldered a Howa which felt very nice indeed and I did like the three stage safety. The synthetic stock on it was a beauty. Any ideas on these rifles?

Also, what are your thoughts on Midland/Parker hale rifles?

I'm open to any suggestions but obviously for a realistic choice at around 500 quid for rifle and scope. I need something to keep me going for a a couple of years until I decide what calibre I really do like and then fork out for a decent new set up.

Hi there, I see these rifles aswell as a choice for my second centerfire :good:

To be honest, the howa will shoot just as good (depends what model you get)...as will the weatherby vanguard, they will both do 1" at 100yds. The weatherby and the howa are both built on the same action Howa owns the 1500 action and weatherby uses it in their rifles.

You can also, get after market stocks for the Howa/Weatherby action for about £40, such as thumbhole synthetic tactical stocks :lol:

I myself would not buy a browning bolt action as, I have heard more bad than good about them, their action is less reliable than the other two you mentioned I think.

So for me it would be the weatherby, in the Sub MOA version if you can get it, also there is more customizing stuff you can do to a Howa or Weatherby.

Have you seen the remington SPS?

:lol:

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

Parker hale get a very good review from everyone i know that had one, they are built like tanks and reliable, a friend had one in 243 and really liked it.

I have a Pro Stalker in .243 and foxes hate it. Not the best finishing that PH have ever done but in mitigation it is s/n 001 of the last batch PH ever made and they just wanted them outed despite the quality.

I also have a Howa Varminter in .223 and it's superbly built. Same hole groups at 100 yards and it can kill foxes as well :yes: Yes Howa make the 1500 action but I believe they also manufacture the Vanguard for Weatherby and not just supply the action. The Howa is, to all intents and purposes a Vanguard that Howa have badged for themselves. I've seen one in .243 in action as well and it was deadly.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I have seen the browning magazine system and I suppose it did look a bit of a faff and delicate. Seems people aren't too keen on browning but like the Howa/Weatherby. I thought that Howa and Weatherby were the same too.

I think I could pick up a Howa setup secondhand for around 500 quid seeing as the rifles themselves are around 600 new.