Bunnies

Riothedog

Hi folks

I have a saying in that "one should always walk the full length of the counter" meaning that one should look at every possible opportunity available.

So I go bunny shooting on a golf course and usually use my shotgun. Bags are good but there are many more to be had.

My FAC is in for renewal so I have applied for a .17hmr for the corvids and real long range shots and i'm a-wondering which calibre should I go for as well?

I used to have a .22 ruger but found that the bullets rainbowed - perhaps it was me.

I ask because there are so many different variants of .22. So, what are you people using out there?

All advice will be warmly received :)

Many thanks

RTD

Hi Rio,

.17hmr with a decent scope on top (with magnification up to 20 or 24) off a bipod and you'll take rabbits (headshots) with ease out to 150 yards in no wind. Plot up somewhere central (teeing off point ?) and cover a 300 yard circle in all directions (assuming safe backstops).

Just the tool for the job, hard to think of something better.

.22lr - it's not you, they do rainbow - worth getting a bolt action one if you want to take shots at upto 70/80 yards - nice and quiet but prone to richochet.

Cheers

AndyCM

Edited by AndyCM

on a golf range i would think rimfire is ideal, ask to borrow a golf caddy, the rabbits probably wont pay any attention to you, and as its a golf course it probably has lots of nice lush grass the kind of thing that rimfires dont ricochet off very easily. however something with a balistic tip will be alot safer and you could probably do with a bit more range.

hmr would be a fine choice, but my view on the hmr is thats its a half way house to a hornet/222/223, if your going to go supersonic and use balistic points, get a hornet or 222 or 223, they have a far superiour range, and can take out foxes at much longer range

a silenced hornet would be a fine round for your application, (although the hornet is quite a way off the 222 or 223 on range (190 on a fox being the max compared to 350ish) however the hornet is alot quieter when silenced, so would probably be best suited to a golf range.

if i were you i would apply for a hmr, hornet and 222 (or 223, no real difference)

the worst they can say is no, and if they say yes you can always ask for a 1 for 1 variation, at no cost

and at the end of the day both the hmr, the hornet and the 222 (223) have their places

Went out the other week with a long net and caught 2. Must have got it wrong somewhere...

Anyway, I'm a shooting type - not into my knitting.

I reckon so far that is's a HMR and sit on the tee, waiting... Only prob potentially is the light conditions. Might need a scope mounted light - ever used one?

Funny enough, when I am playing golf there, you can walk straight past at about 2 yards and they don't even move. No golf bag and they're off!

Red lamp and land cruiser for me. Got a pal to drive and it's a lot of fun.

Final thing :) is that I was out on Wednesday and there wasn't a single fox to be seen. Not one.

RTD

Hi RTD

I shoot my golf course i dont bother going out at night in the summer go instead at 4-30am Im a member and they gave me my own keys to golf cart that i can use whenever. Because we have houses fairly close i dont take the rimmy or hmr i stick to the pcp 12ftlbs or my theoben mk2 @ 26ftlbs you can get close in the buggies they are so used to them they dont bother to run.

Was out this morning got 7 rabbits 3 crows and i squirrel between 5am and 7 am when people start to play the course.

Get a buggy its great fun.

Mike

PS wish i could use the shotgun loads of pigeons about.

Hi Mike

The only problem with that is getting up in the morning! As yet, no buggy. got the keys to the gate but no buggy. It would make life a lot easier though!

this course is surrounded on 3 sides by farmland and Officer Dibble reckons that a .17hmr should be OK. Good old Plod.

I've got a Falcon on my FAC - hard shooting without the buggy!

RTD

I have an HMR and would recommend one highly, only downside is if its fairly windy stay below 100 yards. Totally different to a Centrefire but with its own qualities, cheaper ammo (can be had for £8.00ish per 50) v quiet moderated over open ground (not across valleys etc), deadly accurate, totally recoiless and flat shooting to 150 yards with minimal richocet risk but you do get the odd one. I have found through trial and error that it works best inside 125 yards mainly because it is nearly allways blowing to some degree. I have shot things further when still but stick to 125 and you wont go wrong, I have taken a good number of crows and rabbits with mine (Anchutz 1517HB with 17 gn V Max).

Edited by JRDS

Riothedog

I too have permission to shoot at my golf course and hold a semi open ticket where i can use shotgun and fac air rifle but under NO circumstances will plod let me use rimfire or any other small calibre gun even though the course is mainly surrounded by farmland Maybe its just a staffordshire thing. :ernyha: