2005 Mitsubishi L200 Animal

Cosd

Anyone know what one of these are worth? seen one with engine problems but full Mits service history and 46k on the clock.

Any thought, experiences or knowledge of these?

Will want to use to commute to work on the motorway (30 liles each way) and to take on the fields......

Im in a similar predicament at the moment.

Thinking of selling my mk4 R32 golf, and buying a 4x4, but ive decided i want something half respectable / tidy, that will sit comfortably at 70 - 80mph, but will also go in a field.

And my budget is £4500 max, as ive decided if i spend any more i wont take it into the fields which defeats the object really.

What ive seen so far is Land Rover Discovery 2.5TDI

Mitsubishi Shogun Sport Wagon

Some Izusu Rodeo's fall into the bracket too..

Anyone else have any surgestions???

Anyone know what one of these are worth? seen one with engine problems but full Mits service history and 46k on the clock.

Any thought, experiences or knowledge of these?

Will want to use to commute to work on the motorway (30 liles each way) and to take on the fields......

guessing about 5-6K without the engine problems, assuming the problem is head related its not the end of the world and don't listen if they try and tell you its the head gasket, as heads are prone to cracking on them and I believe 2005 was one of the worst years. Plus point is new heads bare are @£200 plus the work to transfer your cams etc over Its just before they changed the shape and though you see them advertised for more they don't tend to sell for more.

Commute wise they are fine pretty car like to drive my 2001 which is the same engine tends to do about 30mpd and thats on semi off road tyres and is fairly refined despite being the poverty spec one. Shooting wise they're great fantastic to lamp from if you put 2 seats on a board accross the rear tub you're just at the right height to rifle shoot with the roof as a rest. During the winter mine has a top on so all the wet muddy dog smells are kept well out of the cabin

Thinking of selling my mk4 R32 golf, and buying a 4x4, but ive decided i want something half respectable / tidy, that will sit comfortably at 70 - 80mph, but will also go in a field.

And my budget is £4500 max, as ive decided if i spend any more i wont take it into the fields which defeats the object really.

Yep, my predicament is the same, I'm coming out of a Mercedes CLK, so I'd like some comfort too as well as the ability to take it off road. I have a similar budget, can stretch a little further if something really takes my fancy.

The other car I'm looking at is the Mercedes ML diesel. The CD270 or 320 will do, both are more economical than mine, and I do like German....

I presume the Animal is a double cab.

I have just done a search on the Mitsu site for 2005 double cabs and the Animal/Warrior seem to be advertised at £9995 + VAT.

Those are obviously top prices as they are main dealer prices but it will give you an idea.

Charlie.

PS. I'm on my second warrior, might not be a Land Rover but it's a hell of a lot more refined !!!!

I drive a Warrior, but to be honest she has to go.Brilliant truck, has been where no Landy would go, and I know this for sure as I have been there in Landys too.I have to let my beloved Warrior go because its time to hit reality street and leave the army, and as I live in Germany a RHD Warrior on the German net is going to be a leg Iron.

Brilliant truck but got to go, if you really want a Warrior PM me and we can talk.

i drive a shogun sport trojan.it`s a great vehicle with loads of room for any amount of gear.it has been reliable and returning over 32mpg.i have heard of head problems but i would put that down to poorly serviced examples.as for the navara anyone i know in this locality with one have had major problems.one bloke i know is on his 3rd engine and has n`t put 100k on the clock.only thing the trojan misses is a few extra horses.if you want a fast jeep this may not be the one for you

Get the Navara D40 instead !

Dave B

Sorry, but cant agree with that statement at all......The D40 has a bad history of engine seizuress, usually around 50K, and the car that scored a ONE in the Encap crash test....

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf...A2573F70018662A

My mate had TWO of those cars on the farm, and both had engine seizures....seemingly, they are VERY soft engines...they werent worked particularly hard, just normal farm work, I seem to remember that you have to keep a beady eye on the oil usage...but might be wrong there......but the most worrying thing is the Encap test..where the chassis just crumpled...and intruded into the cab!!!!

I know of a couple of other's where the engine has gone....and one mate got buttons when he sold his, c/w wrecked engine...something like £1000 for a 54 plate.

Incidentaly, I was at a car auction on Friday night, ( sad I know )...and an 05 Plate Jeep Cherokee, one owner, diesel, full service history, 60K, MOT'd and Tax...went for £3,650.....I'd have bought it myself, but the wife had the purse...:D.....the next car through was a 54 plate X-Trail, went for over £6K

BTW, Fuel return for the 2.8 Mitsy engine in a Challenger is only approx 1-2mpg more than my 3ltr V6 petrol one..:yes::) I get around 22mpg on the M/way...and 17-18 towing the boat... 2.5D might be a bit better, but any I have driven seem to be a tad underpowered...

Good luck with your hunt....

Edited by Norrie

It was the D22 that threw rods ou tof the engine, not the D40.

I get at least 30 mpg and on a run to Nurburg cruising at 85 mph pulling three motorbikes it returned 35 mpg, it is chipped which helps. It will top 120mph and handles well on or off road, the spec of teh Aventura is superb even the wife likes it unlik ethe other Discos etc that I have had.

I cannot fault it, a much more car like drive than an L200 which I hated the driving position of.

Just my twopenneth.

Dave B

Yep, my predicament is the same, I'm coming out of a Mercedes CLK, so I'd like some comfort too as well as the ability to take it off road. I have a similar budget, can stretch a little further if something really takes my fancy.

The other car I'm looking at is the Mercedes ML diesel. The CD270 or 320 will do, both are more economical than mine, and I do like German....

I had a Golf GTTDI which was superb but boot space was too small. I found a ML270 cdi, full service history, automatic, leather interior, heated seats etc etc 51 plate with less than a 100k miles on the clock and managed to get it down from 6500 to 5500. It averages 30 mpg, is really comfortable on long drives, a massive boot which gets even bigger once the seats are down. Sold the 3rd row of seats for 450 on ebay. I haven't taken it properly off road yet as I need new tyres, however I have heard that they are very capable off road, will find out in 6 weeks or so.

Hi there, I have an 06 Reg L200 Animal (last of the old shape) its done 45K and i've so far not had a problem. I drive it hard pretty much all the time except in the mornings, get around 27mpg most of the time unless towing. Its fitted with the Mitsubishi power upgrade as standard fit and flys especially when overtaking at speed (not like a car though!). I'd highly recommend it. I'd not heard of the head cracking problems but have heard that alot of Navaras around 2003 threw rods out of engines, a colleagues brother is on his third engine in his! If you can find one for the price you're looking get it! better still though get a hilux, they're a bit more basic and i think thy're the least powered (103bhp) on the market but solid as a rock and go and go, I had a 2001 Mk4 Single Cab with the 2.4TD which was an excellent car.