Remington 1100

Teal

My granda has alzheimers and as such when his shotgun certificate expires it will not be renewed. There are two guns on it- a Remington 1100 semi auto and a folding .410 'poachers' hammer gun, along with a small number of cartridges for each.

He seems to think his Remington is a 5 shot although I was sure you must have a FAC for 5 shot shotguns these days and so rather suspect it may have been reduced to 3.

I was thinking of taking it onto my license as a semiauto could be useful for when I will really be doing very rough small bag shooting. Is this model a decent model of gun, I held it and it feels a bit bulky and heavy, but seems to fit fairly well. I forgot to take down the serial number but imagine it must have been made in the 70s or 80s (or perhaps even before).

Thanks in advance if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this gun.

Teal I would certainly establish for certain how many cartridges the gun holds. If it has been crimped then you will only be able to get 2 cartridges in the magazine and 1 up the spout.

Any more than that and you need a F.A.C. to own it.

Some of the older 1100's escaped the crimping when it became law so it would pay you to check, as the gun was more than likely a 5 shot originally.

I owned a Remington 1100 semi auto fitted with a Cutts Compensator, when the law changed to 3 shot only and I had the gun plugged.

It was rather heavy, but probably one of the best guns I have owned, perfect for hide shooting. :ernyha:

I was told once that they are sought after by the discerning clay shooter.

best gun ever made

took many 100 + bags with remi 1100

take it out and try it

barrels range from 26" skeet 28" half choke 30" full choke

also made a 3" mag model

all ready got one but if u get rid pm me

but please check its only a three shot

this gun would have been the most popular skeet gun 20 years ago winning all skeet comp,s

ps hope all goes well with grandad :ernyha:

My mate bought a Remi 1100 which was previously held on a shotgun certificate. He found that he could load more than 2 into the magazine and had to have it restricted and sent it away to the proof house for re-proof.

My mate bought a Remi 1100 which was previously held on a shotgun certificate. He found that he could load more than 2 into the magazine and had to have it restricted and sent it away to the proof house for re-proof.

:ernyha: That is exactly the point I was making Malc as I am sure a lot of semi-autos "slipped through the net" when the legislation was introduced.

It is now in my possesion and I can confirm it has been crimped and is now a three shot- thanks. Looks like i'll be keeping it and shifting my 20 bore kestrel to make me have a 12 bore of each flavour- semi auto, o/u and s/s. :lol: Used in that order depending on what shooting i'm doing from very rough to balmoral whenever i get my invite. :ernyha: