joining the force

loopy bunny blaster

I'm with Dirty Harry on this one.

Beat bobbys are the best way way to deal with everyday crime. Proper community policing is far more effective than what we have now.

Proactive not reactive policing is what's needed to start cutting down on crime and the fear of crime. By all means have response vehicles as back up, but 'front line' policing should be carried out on foot, providing a highly visible precence and deterrent.

A good community copper can gain the trust and cooperation of the community he/she serves and provide a point of contact to local residents. The information and intelligence he can gather would be invaluable. Unfortunately this government have seen fit to use PCSO's to carry out this role as it's a cheap option.

A strange thing to say Col, that rural bobbys don't want to work? Most rural crime is committed by 'outsiders' and a good rural cop would know his community well and soon notice unfamiliar faces around farm buildings, remote houses etc. I know if i lived in a remote area i'd feel happier knowing the local plod were around keeping an eye on things. Wouldn't you?

oh and have an easy time :D great advice.sums up the mentallity of people in this country that dont want to work :yes:

Are you having a laugh...we were brought up in the country and my father was the village bobby.....we had a great life...it was nothing to do with not wanting to do hard work you muppet.He wanted to be a copper for the job security and to be part of something...,not to fight every weekend in a pub brawl....he was a very well respected man with lots of friends from both sides of the law...He enjoyed being part of the community he worked in,sadly not the case today with young buck coppers not knowing there **** from the elbow...Just out to make a name for themselves,with no real grasp of how a community works,and not knowing the people they are serving....Looking at your location col,i can imagine you have very little respect for your local plod...dont tar everyone with your scouse attitude.....he worked from 15 years old till the day he died you idiot.....

Edited by smig4373

I'm with Dirty Harry on this one.

Beat bobbys are the best way way to deal with everyday crime. Proper community policing is far more effective than what we have now.

Proactive not reactive policing is what's needed to start cutting down on crime and the fear of crime. By all means have response vehicles as back up, but 'front line' policing should be carried out on foot, providing a highly visible precence and deterrent.

A good community copper can gain the trust and cooperation of the community he/she serves and provide a point of contact to local residents. The information and intelligence he can gather would be invaluable. Unfortunately this government have seen fit to use PCSO's to carry out this role as it's a cheap option.

A strange thing to say Col, that rural bobbys don't want to work? Most rural crime is committed by 'outsiders' and a good rural cop would know his community well and soon notice unfamiliar faces around farm buildings, remote houses etc. I know if i lived in a remote area i'd feel happier knowing the local plod were around keeping an eye on things. Wouldn't you?

well said...

were i am now, can be a bit of a dive at times.

because of this i have come across a few coppers with a chip on there shoulder wich put me off a few of them, BUT there are also a few that i have known since i was about 16 that really know people and like to chat and find out whats going on in the world. we used to sit outside my house at half time when watching footy and drink in the sun and one copper used to come up and we would make him a cuppa and just have a crack with him.

so i say do it mate, just dont let the bad times get you down mate.

john boy

Hi mate,

I joined up after leaving the army. As people have said, there is plenty of paperwork involved but there is also a lot of the fun stuff that most of us joined up for. Depending on which force you wish to join, it can take a long time to get in. I was waiting for 2 years for a start date.

If you have any Q's then feel free to Pm me.

All the best

Mick

I've been considering a few career paths recently as i havent really made my mind up and joining the police is a front runner currently, does anybody have an advice on doing so?

Go for it. If you decide later that it's not for you, resign. You are not compelled to stay.

On a more positive note you will have good job security and a fair pension scheme.

Pay and promotion prospects are fine in all, a good package. :yes: Rob.

A mate of mine waited for nearly two years to get in due to diversity guidelines. They applied to his employers for a reference too which ### him for any kind of pay rise or quality of work while waiting to get in :D

If you are a disabled, black homo you will get fast-tracked :yes::D

From what I have heard from a few serving coppers there now is an unwritten positive discrimination policy in recruiting. If you are from a ethnic minority, or homosexual, or both, then it is preceived to be easier to join that is you were a straight white male.

Not quite true - its not unwritten! Mate of mine recently joined the Met. Before the final interview she was invited to a sort of 'training day' where they gave you a few tips and practice interviews. There was not a single white male in the room and it was confirmed to her that this was because they had not been invited. They were expected to take their chances without any help. Even if you qualify it with a nice friendly word like "Positive" it is still discrimination.

The more this sort of thing happens the more popular the BNP will become but some in authority are just too stupid to see it.

Our son-in-law tried to join as a PC, but the waiting list was too long, so he joined as a PCSO, and then, after a year, was able to join as a PC.

Our daughter spent a couple of years as a Special, liked it so much that she joined as a regular too.

Two different routes for getting in, and perhaps a way of seeing if you like working in a disciplined service before you fully commit.