Choice of automatic

The_Craws

Hello people. Once again I ask for some advice. :lol:

At the moment I have to make do with my S200 while I wait on my shotgun licence application and as you may already know airguns dont make the best weapon of choice for the woodies - or clays for that matter! :ernyha:.

So, what I was after was a 3 shot semi-automatic with my budget being around £500. Was interested to hear what others would go for if they were buying one with my budget and reasons for the choice. Also, are there any ones to avoid?

It would be used mainly as a field gun but might be taken down to the clay ground occasionally.

Thanks. :lol:

For your first gun I would get a second hand one . The baretta al391 is a great all round clay and pigeon gun . I have held this gun and fired it . Its very light and cylces well . There are plenty about. Insist on firing the gun. Not many semis like 24grams , they dont cycle very well .

I have a browning silver stalker semi with syntheic stock which is a great gun for both , clays and pigeons the only down sise is there is a 7 lb trigger pull , you really have to pull the trigger , I think is called a litigation trigger (amercian), check the seals the slider and the bore,

There is a site on the net that acts like a middle man . I sold two on there . cant remeber what its call though.

Dont buy the first gun you see .see a couple and then perhaps go back to the first . good hunting

:ernyha:

any of the AL series in good condish will serve you well ,as will many other semi's,Benneli, Franchi,Browning, try if you can to take any your looking at for a work out ,figure what shells suit the gun,semi's are prone to be tempermental over lighter loads ,fouling/stovepipe will be the most prevelant ,heavier loads will not cause concern,also check around the breech area for any signs of wear or steel shavings that have come from bad housekeeping ,a dry and dirty action will accelerate wear in any semi , good luck in your search .

Martin

I had a deal set up where someone I know was going to sell me a Beretta AL391 for £500 in mint condition but he backed out for whatever reason.

Checking out my options once again, was considering the characteristic of the semi-auto not accepting light, heavy or reloaded cartridges to be a potential annoyance. Although the third shot would be a useful feature for vermin. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the restriction on 3 shots if I ever wanted to put it on a FAC?

I might even consider a pump as I was wanting to reload to save money and have a superior shell than the factory produces.

Edited by The_Craws

The AL391 is a 4 shot originally but the tube is crimped to limit it to a 3 shot for this country. Technically it is possible to revert it back to a 4 shot but as I understand it, once it is classed as a FAC gun it is always one and the re-sale value will be reduced even if you convert it back to a 3 shot.

Personally I would not think it worth the trouble for 1 extra shot as I rarely use all 3 at any one time anyway.

I don't think you really ever need more than 3 shots in your gun, you tend to just waste shells after that. There are ways that you can cheat to fit 5 shells in a 3.5" 3 shot gun by floating a shell and using 2.5" shells but it's not worth the hassel. :lol:

remember that the new Xtrema 2 is out now so GMK will want to shift their stock of mk1's before they import any, the prices will just keep falling.

Edited by M ROBSON