4 x 4 tyres

rimfire4969

I know this has been done before but bare with me.

I need some new tyres for my truck. I do about 4000 miles on the road a year, do a lot of towing on grass and my main shoot is very wet with lots of streams to cross along with the cows and they make a nice crossing into a mud bath.

I have been recommended THESE anyone have any experiance of them.

check they're road legal as they look like they may be mainly off road remoulds which will make road driving tiresome through drone and also decrease your fuel economy severely. You can't beat BFG tyres either A/T or mud terrain but they do come at a cost, with your mileage I'd look on that auction site for a secondhand set as there tend to be plenty out there

Ive used BFG at on range rover and discovery found them excellent, not noisy on road, great off road and long lived so you DO get what you pay for.

Currently using 1.9l petrol Frontera as dog bus- ripped out the bag seats lined with rubber mats and old carpet and caged off from front two seats - thats got Camacs on - great off road noisy on road.

Ive had loads of sets of remould 4x4 tyres and they've all been very good, the best where insa turbos, but that's always been on "weekend" cars that I don't use very much, remoulds can be a **** to balance, their very heavy, and to be honest now a days, you can get new tyres for not a lot more, I wouldn't go too aggressive if your using it for 4000 miles a year, you will get fed up of the noise and so on

I'd avoid KL71 s they are very soft and will wear down very quickly on the road although they are great in the soft mud.

Depending on how muddy you want Insa Turbo Special Track are excellent but slow and noisy on the road.

If you want to avoid remoulds then Maxis have a good reputation and are very capable off road, also have a similar price tag to Insa's.

I run Insa Turbo's on 2 Land rovers at the moment and think there pretty good. When it comes to re-booting the old girls I'll probably go for Hankook.

These are not remoulds and come in at only about £5 a corner more expensive than the remoulds; if you shop around. Good tyres on and off road, not much road noise on the M/T's. The local tyre company will do them fitted for £80 a boot - this also keeps good will as he's stoped fitting "internet tyres" due to the number of people after only this.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have a budget for the tyres? Your road mileage isnt insignificant, and safety emphasis should be considered, however offroad performance is important to you. The majority of the remoulds are road legal, although the quality of some has been questioned recently.

To clear it up, along with Technic Amazon, Greenway Macho, Insa Turbo Saharas, and Malatesta Kobras are all remoulds of the Yokohama Geolander MT.

Do you have a budget for the tyres? If you want as cheap as possible for the best off road then remoulds are a good way to go, and you wont go far wrong with that pattern.

I do about 6-7000 miles a year in my defender which is fitted with Cooper Discoverer STT's. Cracking off road but I do feel I am on the limit of sensible road mileage with them, tyre wear would simply be too much if I did any more.

I was just going to suggest the Yokohama Geolandar MT. I had some of their all terrains and they were good, the MTs are supposed to be about as good as it gets. Look at the tread pattern, you've got a clear run right from the centre to the edge ina v shape just like a tractor tyre. If the tread gets clogged you can be fairly sure that soft mud can be pushed out of these escape routes so they won't completely fill up. They're not cheap but if most of your driving is in soft ground they will last ages!

BF goodrich Mud

Some will say there no good on road as there to noisy but, if your in a diesel then you are not going to notice it. the tyre will brake up before the tread wears. but, if your going to off road on rocks then you might find the compound a little to hard. on grass and mud you will not get better IMHO. if you phone around the local places you will be surprised at the prices.

I'm about to put BFG T/A 32-11.5r15 All T's on my Misti as i Green lane and off road in quarry's so All terrain's are what i want. I have been looking around and found Bathwick to be the cheapest by far. £390 fitted for 4 and i will scrap yard a spare when one turns up.

dont forget to take into account the fitting when on line ordering.

join and 4X4 forum and have a read on what they say as there always messing around with differant tyres.

best of luck

ATB

Phil

I was just going to suggest the Yokohama Geolandar MT. I had some of their all terrains and they were good, the MTs are supposed to be about as good as it gets. Look at the tread pattern, you've got a clear run right from the centre to the edge ina v shape just like a tractor tyre. If the tread gets clogged you can be fairly sure that soft mud can be pushed out of these escape routes so they won't completely fill up. They're not cheap but if most of your driving is in soft ground they will last ages!

Went with these in the end, had them over a month now. Very impressed not noisy on the road, hold the road no problem, off road very very good. I have been through some very deep mud and tractor ruts in the last 2 weeks with no problems. Even pulled a very stuck suzuki 4 x 4 thing out of a very muddy patch that i had just driven through.