Centre Fire Rifle Scopes

Rimfire

Hi GUys,

I have recently taken delivery of a new Browning X-Bolt in .243 and I'm looking to scope it up. Now before you all say 'spend all your money on the scope and buy the rifle with the change', that hasn't happened. I have been looking at the Nikko Stirling Targetmaster in 6-24X56 flavour and also the Hawke Optics Sidewinder in 6-24X56. Has anyone used either of these scopes, if so what are they like?

I'll await, with interest, your replies and thoughts.

Regards.

Put simply, those two scopes are a waste of your money: they are low-grade Chinese glass and probably great for Field Target on a summer's afternoon, but lacking in the clarity needed to i) do justice to an X-Bolt and ii) help you bag that 200-yard fox on a bleak February night. You don't need practical-tactical turrets, silly reticles and other irrelevant features chucked in by the manufacturers. The only crucial feature is crystal-clear glass.

Buy a second-hand German scope, e.g. an S&B 8x56 or 3-12x56. You will only kick yourself when you loose a deer or fox in the fuzzy, grey and distorted picture given through a cheap scope.

Put simply, those two scopes are a waste of your money: they are low-grade Chinese glass and probably great for Field Target on a summer's afternoon, but lacking in the clarity needed to i) do justice to an X-Bolt and ii) help you bag that 200-yard fox on a bleak February night. You don't need practical-tactical turrets, silly reticles and other irrelevant features chucked in by the manufacturers. The only crucial feature is crystal-clear glass.

Buy a second-hand German scope, e.g. an S&B 8x56 or 3-12x56. You will only kick yourself when you loose a deer or fox in the fuzzy, grey and distorted picture given through a cheap scope.

a fair point Balders

My new set up arrives in the morning so if you want my view on the new S&B PM II 5-25X56 you wont have long to wait :hmm:

What are you going to use the rifle for? IMHO this is the single most important facotr when buying a scope.

As its for .243 i'm guessing you're going after deer, in which case you don't need anything with that kind of magnification on. Believe me, i came from target shooting into deer stalking and while being able to see the printing imperfections on the X of your target is important when you're blatting paper, its a disadvantage when you find yourself chasing all over the place inside the scope for the deer, and then IF you do get the bead on before it bolts, all you see is a patch of fur that could be anything from its neck to its @r$e! :hmm::hmm:

This is especially important if you're buying budget scopes as you have named as when you dial them up to full mag, especially outdoors they 'milk out' and you can't see ####! The majority of shots taken at deer in England are sub 100m, so anything from 4x - 10x is plenty. In addition if you are using it for stalking a variable mag scope will inevitably be heavier, so unless you're doing high seat stuff you be at a further disadvantage.

Just my two penneth

Mark

Hi GUys,

I have recently taken delivery of a new Browning X-Bolt in .243 and I'm looking to scope it up. Now before you all say 'spend all your money on the scope and buy the rifle with the change', that hasn't happened. I have been looking at the Nikko Stirling Targetmaster in 6-24X56 flavour and also the Hawke Optics Sidewinder in 6-24X56. Has anyone used either of these scopes, if so what are they like?

I'll await, with interest, your replies and thoughts.

Regards.

Guess you will only be shooting in the daytime in high Summer then?

Get a second hand S&B. You can get a 6x42 for £250 upwards.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Scope choice comes down to the intended target. I've just taken an 8x56 Schmidt off my Hornet and put a 3-9x50 Burris Fullfield II on instead. The reason's the reticle, plain and simple - S &B on rabbit is awful. But, I was out after rabbit and fox the other night and came across a deer. Obviously I couldn't shoot her for many reasons, but what did stand out was how well I could see that animal. Lovely and clear, perfect for that job.

I don't have a dedicated deer rifle, I have a fox/target/deer rifle, which has a VX-III 6.5-20x50 on it, varmint hunter ret. It's great for all the intended uses of that rifle, but not needed if i was just shooting deer with it.

What always holds true is that you buy a scope for its features, chief of which is glass quality. IMHO you don't NEED S&B, Zeiss, Swaro glass, but it helps and if I could afford it across the board I'd buy it. You do need at least Jap glass though, so I end up with Bushnell 4200, Leupold VX-III level glass. It's not the best, but it's adequate for my needs; I don't end up swearing about loss of zero, poor tracking, abysmal glass.

ive just coupled my Tika T3 with a 3/12 x 50 S&B, gun was cheaper than the scope.......

Wouldnt bother putting any of those two scopes you mentioned on your centrefire.

I have a Nikko Target Master on my Rimmy, and have problems with it at night time lamping. Also "milking out" as someone else has mentioned.....

Well Guys, I guess I will have to wait another year before using the rifle as I just can't afford the cost of a decent S&B . Thank you for all your thoughtful replies, it is most appreciated.

Best regards.

Well this would be a good starter scope until you have the money... And it'll hold its value pretty well until you do decide to change

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meopta-6x42-Classic-...id=p3286.c0.m14

Well this would be a good starter scope until you have the money... And it'll hold its value pretty well until you do decide to change

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meopta-6x42-Classic-...id=p3286.c0.m14

Well said.

Rimfire, I looked at an X-Bolt stainless/synthetic today (a .223 Rem, at Eastern Sporting, Chelmsford). It's a heck of a step up from the A-Bolt in terms of refinement and finish. The action seems like it's machined to much finer tolerances. I think you're on to a winner!