noise from under the rib on a SBS

arjimlad

I would appreciate your opinions on this...

I had my AYA No. 4 out for cleaning on Monday night and could hear a rushing noise like sand running in between the barrels under the rib. After inverting the barrels a few times to listen for the noise, the sound stopped.

Previously I have only heard a light rattle from what I assumed were small bits of solder left over from when it was made.

My missus asked what that could be and I replied without thinking of the effect on her peace of mind, that it could be rust particles. She said how would you know and I said without taking the rib off I would not know. She asked "isn't that unsafe?"

I thought about it. I can't believe that it would have gone rusty, my guns are mint, this has never been out in the rain or on the foreshore, always cleaned a.s.a.p. etc.

Suspending the barrels by the lumps they still ring very true...

If I take it to a gunsmith for checking out what would he do with it ?

Any opinions gratefully received.

From memory the AYA 4 is a side by side. Brings back good memories. I'm not a gunsmith so take my thought with causion.

- if the gun has been manufactured correctly then I doubt if you have bad rust. If you are oling your gun well you should be OK.

- however, if the rib has parted from the barrel you need to send it to a gunsmith for advice. Take a fine oil, like one of the spray type, spray it along the well created between the rib and the barrel. Wait a watch if there is a space this may show it either by seeping into it or by small air bubbles appeering.

- I have heard small rumblings in a gun b4 and drew the same conclusion as you on the solder/weld, but it wasn't an AYA 4 it was a piece of scrap that I got rid of afters year of beating down goarse when foxing.

- I think you owe it to yourself and your wife to get it checked out professionally, even if you are confident what it is and you conclude it not a threat, alway air on the safe side. You don't want a blunder-bus :*)

- I don't know what AYA are like now but from memory they were a good company and will want to ensure customer satisfaction.

All the best and keep it safe

Big Dog

Thank you Big Dog, confirmed what I was thinking. The ribs are fine, will take it in though, just in case.

I have 2 little lads to think of as well as the wife (I'm well insured but that is hardly the point).

I still can't think what a gunsmith might do that I can't, but that is the reason why I am not a gunsmith....

You haven't said how old the gun is and did you have it from new.

Taking it to a Gunsmith is the correct thing to do, but please come back and tell us what the outcome was, as it is quite an intriguing situation.

If its an old gun and you bought it secondhand, I would put my money on loose solder, as a result of a knock (by previous Owner).

It could also be rust, as oiling the rib after rust has formed under it, won't necessarily kill the rust.

Best of luck, I hope it doesn't cost too much. :lol:

I'm a bit unhappy about this, as the gun was made in 1977 and exported in 1978 we know not where. I bought it in 2000 for £375 or something like that amount.

It has sling swivels (what I have taken off) and is marked "Bayard" on the left barrel which makes me believe it was intended for the French market as Bayard was a famous french warrior from the middle ages rather like we would say Lionheart or somesuch.

It is in lovely condition, I reckon it had been asleep for ages, very original. Slight drawback - varnished wood though, very few knocks to the wood, and bluing & case hardening 99% - very little wear under the top lever or on the edges of the action or trigger guard which is where they lose the finish. I compared it with 2 others in the shop and it was the mintest one there.

I shoot to the same standard with it as with my OU and I love it to bits. And if it is kaputt, then unlike last time I had to scrap a shotgun (due to ring bulges), my insurers would not pay out for accidental damage for rust damage.

I shall take it to a gunsmith for an opinion. Maybe one with a ROCOL kit ?

Thanks all, will update you.

I would appreciate your opinions on this...

I had my AYA No. 4 out for cleaning on Monday night and could hear a rushing noise like sand running in between the barrels under the rib. After inverting the barrels a few times to listen for the noise, the sound stopped.

Previously I have only heard a light rattle from what I assumed were small bits of solder left over from when it was made.

My missus asked what that could be and I replied without thinking of the effect on her peace of mind, that it could be rust particles. She said how would you know and I said without taking the rib off I would not know. She asked "isn't that unsafe?"

I thought about it. I can't believe that it would have gone rusty, my guns are mint, this has never been out in the rain or on the foreshore, always cleaned a.s.a.p. etc.

Suspending the barrels by the lumps they still ring very true...

If I take it to a gunsmith for checking out what would he do with it ?

Any opinions gratefully received.

Sounds to me like ****e behind the rib ,

Now most "Good" gunsmiths wont charge you the earth to wip the rib off and have a look behind it , after all its only soft solderd on

All the best

WB