cb radio

BSA-airgunner

"Mars Bar" hasn't used a CB for 20+ odd years, had great fun before they legalised it, and came out with all those naff FM sets.

I remember in Coventry the first eyeballs we had on a more formal basis attracted 10-15 people, after a few months we had to rent a working mens club because of the numbers.

10 10.

Edited by MGMan

I used to get on the CB a lot. I'd chat with my mates most of the time if we couldn't be ***** to go out! Rig wrecker was my handle, it took me a few attempts to master SWR and a few sets gave up from over heating!

I finished up with a Uniden Uniace myself, but I think it was a 200? May be wrong, it was a long time ago! Mine had a second set of AM channels when you pressed the PA button so me and my mate could "move over" if people were bugging us. Worked a treat until some guy in a suit took it off me B)

I ran mine through a 5/8 wave Sirio on top of a 30 ft pole. It didn't give me massive range but I was on the side of a hill so had to have it to get anywhere! I could do about ten miles on a good day. I met some good people on there in the time I was using it. Some total weirdos too mind, the sort that only had CB mates until they "eyeballed" then they never talked again!

lol-i used to have a CB radio over 25 years ago and my handle was Joker! B)

This was before i started driving so my dad fitted an enormous ariel on side of house so i could chat away in my bedroom.I dont remember its range being particulary great despite having what seemed like crystal palace transmitter bolted to house and im sure i could only get about 10 miles out.

one four,one four for a copy...

14 for a copy "copy copy" captian condom was me had a uniace udiden base station 200watt bremmy burner (legally of course) and a gp27 half wave strapped to the side of the house my neiegbours loved me they where great days did get across to germany once well they sounded german lol

When i got a car went mobile with a midland 3000 i metg a great girl on there and am still happily married to her 17 years on so yes the cb radio was good to me

Jim

They do have their uses! I met some great girls on the CB, a couple were really good friends for years before we kind of drifted apart (they went off to uni and I'm terrible for keeping in touch with people I don't see often!). I still speak to one of them now and again.

These things seem to go in phases. At the moment nobody seems to use them. I wasn't about when they were really popular but it was probably about ten years ago they came back for a while and I had a go at it. I even went to some meetings and went camping for weekends with one club (in fact I met another female friend of mine at one of those, her dad was really keen but she was just there for the party!).

EDIT... I think the funniest part was when a friend of mine, Kate, would come on with her really dodgy old set and say "1 9 for a roger". There were always about half a dozen guys coming back to her saying "I'll roger you Kate"! Made me laugh every time, she was quite fit so you could see their point.

Edited by njc110381

1981 "Trooper" was my handle, as I'd just become a junior soldier at 16. Illegal AM set, in my old bedroom at my parents place, with a mag mounted aerial on an old biscuit tin "to improve the ground plane" or some such techno-giberish. Always on the look out for "Buzby" DFing and confiscating illegal sets, great fun. There was a big social scene ISTR, I went to some great parties and got off with a few girls through CB. The fun went out of it as soon as they legalised it! B)

well i used to use cb`s all the time a few years ago until i passed my hame radio exam`s i still listen to the cb bands now and then my mate owns a shop in birtley that

sell cb`s pmr antenna`s pretty much all to do with cb`s and taxi radios and others

my handle on cb was the bed & breakfast man

i guess some of you will know that some of the channels on cb will be phased out soon the channels are the uk 40 (27.601mhz to 27.991mhz)

so there is still life on them to this day