271 yard Fox

GP1

Shot this Fox last night but had to go out this morning to find him as i had to get home, ranged the distance and it was 271yards not bad for a head shoot, would of like him a bit closer, squeaked him in about 50 yards from where he was but he didn't want to know and started going left, gave him one more squeak and he stopped so i let him have it.

Its the biggest fox this year for me, it makes my .223 look small

Good thing is i got an extra 2500 acres of good shooting ground on the way home so that tied up 3 neighbouring farms with a total of 5000+ acres

foxwiththe2233.jpg

Nice shooting. What's your setup?

It was shot at around 1.00am with my Steyr Scout Tactical .223, i had a genIII (D300) add-on at the back of my scope which was a nikko nighteater 4-16x50 set on full mag, i have been trying different scopes out all week from expensive to mid range to cheap and just can't find much difference in them. i built the D300 up and have done a few tweaks to improve the performance and all is going well, only problem is on full mag you just don't realise how far the target is, i use Leupold rangefinder Bino's which do help as the LED read out is in red not black like some, as you can't read black read outs at night.

I also have the D480 and a D760 genIII and these are x6 mag which i am more use to, i am trying to lay off shooting this week as my best mate is coming down from Scotland and would like him to have a few good or great days shooting.

Edited by GP1

Cracking fox mate! As the others have said he's a big-un'

With your .223 what are you firing through it? I wouldn't attempt that range myself with a factory load in the dark - NV or not! factory loads just aren't that reliable in that calib at that range!

Also what range have you zero'd it at? and what sort of hold over (if any) were you giving it?

I'll check back here for a reply, but feel free to PM me,

Tom