lamping equipment

drivinfish

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deal Extreme.

You can buy the Romisen RC-M4 which is über bright for $17.30, a pressure switch for $4.50 and a couple of universal velcro gun mounts for your scope for £4 off the bay. Postage is free (except for the mounts).

I'll try and get a photo of my set-up later today and post it so you can see, I'm very happy with it, a quick flash round the field will highlight eyes out to 80 yards, the light is easily bright enough to shoot bunnies out to 40 yards, it cost under £20 and weighs next to nothing, the pressure switch means you can easily off and on the light, the velcro mounts mean you can quickly remove the whole shebang if you're going out in the daytime. :look:

I added a red filter by cutting out a disc of red acetate and setting it inside the lens of the torch too...

Edited by mick miller

Deal Extreme.

You can buy the Romisen RC-M4 which is über bright for $17.30, a pressure switch for $4.50 and a couple of universal velcro gun mounts for your scope for £4 off the bay. Postage is free (except for the mounts).

I'll try and get a photo of my set-up later today and post it so you can see, I'm very happy with it, a quick flash round the field will highlight eyes out to 80 yards, the light is easily bright enough to shoot bunnies out to 40 yards, it cost under £20 and weighs next to nothing, the pressure switch means you can easily off and on the light, the velcro mounts mean you can quickly remove the whole shebang if you're going out in the daytime. :good:

I added a red filter by cutting out a disc of red acetate and setting it inside the lens of the torch too...

pics of this setup please mate, sounds ideal, i'm on a budget as well

Yup same here, would like to see that, have ordered a similar setup from DealExtreme (waiting for delivery)

As an addition to this thread, does anyone use a head torch as well? I'm thinking of buying one for using as a light to spot the bunnies (and stop myself falling down holes in the dark), then the gun lamp for actual shooting.

The tracer is a great lamp...ive used one for years and if used with a filter can still be affective at 40 to 50m. but have doubled our bags when using a lamp man and a shooter. As the lamp man keeps the rabbit still through flashing the light beam across the rabbits eyes causing pupil dilation ie night blindness the shooter slips in around the side of the beam and has a little longer to steady there aim.

I'm going for Mick's set-up, looks like a great budget option. I've ordered the torch and switch but can you tell me is this the right mount? I'd appreciate if you can send the name of the seller or link to eBay item for the mount just to be sure I have the right one.

Cheers,

Mike

Deal Extreme.

I'll try and get a photo of my set-up later today and post it so you can see, I'm very happy with it, a quick flash round the field will highlight eyes out to 80 yards, the light is easily bright enough to shoot bunnies out to 40 yards, it cost under £20 and weighs next to nothing, the pressure switch means you can easily off and on the light, the velcro mounts mean you can quickly remove the whole shebang if you're going out in the daytime. :blink:

Edited by smiiithy

I'm going for Mick's set-up, looks like a great budget option. I've ordered the torch and switch but can you tell me is this the right mount? I'd appreciate if you can send the name of the seller or link to eBay item for the mount just to be sure I have the right one.

Cheers,

Mike

No, that one is specifically for bikes as the straps are at 90degrees to each other, the gun ones are inline, one above the other. This is mine, which I think is the same as Mick's. I only use one though

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000

Edited by Colster

Thanks for that, ordered 2 to be on the safe side. Seem to be cheaper on DE than I can find on the bay anyway. Grand total came to £15.83, not bad if it works.

Cheers,

Mike

No, that one is specifically for bikes as the straps are at 90degrees to each other, the gun ones are inline, one above the other. This is mine, which I think is the same as Mick's. I only use one though

Edited by smiiithy

Those are the one's, I have 6 more on the shelf above me that I can post for £2.00 each if anyone else wants some (can't do free shipping - sorry).

Also, sku.07934 is the one I have on order (single mode), sku.07418 is the one pictured (supposed to be single mode but when it arrived it was 3 mode; bright, mid & flashing) which is small pain as you have to cycle through the modes everytime with a couple of quick pressure switch presses. Both are around 230 lumens or so.

sku.12895 is the pressure switch that fitted that torch in the photo (sku.07418), I reckon it will fit the other torch too (sku.07934), although I haven't tried yet. It looks the same thread size in the photo though and they're both Rominsen's so it should be fine, if not you want pressure switch sku.1025. (I ordered a bunch of different switches as they're just so cheap).

If you want a bit of red acetate nip down your local art supply shop and they have packs of red, blue, green, orange and yellow. Just disassemble the lens part and cut round the glass lens the pop it all back together with the acetate on the inside. Jobs a good'un.

You can use one, I just found that doubling them up made it a little more stable and less prone to moving when you stick it back in the gun slip.

You can use one, I just found that doubling them up made it a little more stable and less prone to moving when you stick it back in the gun slip.

Yeh it makes sense, kinda kicked myself for not ordering two, m8 of mine is dithering about what to order for his gun so may stick another mount on his order - still waiting for mine so will see how it hangs.

The one in the picture is a 3 mode torch (bright, low and flashing)...which is a bit of a pain, not much, but a bit. I really wanted a single mode torch (that's the trouble with DX, sometimes they substitute a 'better' model for the one ordered if out of stock; sometimes you don't always want 'better' though!).

So the sku's for the pictured items are; 07418 (torch) 12895 (switch) 12000 (clamps)

I now have four spare clamps left in front of me, I can post two out for £4 if you just want the clamps.

I have since ordered; 07934 (single mode - I hope - torch) and 01025 (switch, in case the other one doesn't work)

I'm just waiting on the torch to get here, should be this week so I'll know which switch works soon.

By the way, if you want cheap rechargeable cells and charger you want sku's 01236 (charger) and 01880 (CR123A cells).

Phew!

Looks familiar!

The other torch arrived today, it's got a smaller lens and doesn't appear to be quite as bright as the original although it is single mode. Both torch and switch are compatible as previously posted (so you need two different switches for either torch).

I've now ordered a replacement drop-in cree emitter which boosts the output. I have officially become a torch nerd and may need to join the candle power forum...how sad is that?

For now I'll keep the original set-up and use the slightly dimmer torch to quickly scan around for the red glow of a bunnies eyes before using the bright one on the rifle to nail it!

Double woot!