Browning Cynergy Anyone?

Cantitit

Does anyone here own or has owned a Browning Cynergy as I have had a problem with it shooting high? But not any more, I have taken 7mm, yes 7mm off the comb.

I'm sure now this should be sold as a trap gun and not a sporter!

Edited by Cantitit

how did you remove the 7mm ?

i have swung the cynergy at a few targets,not many dozen or so,i found it to be a fairly suited gun for close birds (around 25 yds) crossing (skeet style) for trap type im not sure ,i assume you had advice before you shaved the stock down

try the link it shows the use of the gun , hope your fix works well for you :lol:

http://www.browning.com/video/index.asp

Martin

I had a chat to a gunsmith at my local shooting ground and before I told him my problems I mentioned that I had a Cynergy. "Let me guess its shooting high" he said. Yep! Was the reply so it was quite obvious he had come across this problem before?

He offered to lower the comb for me which would cost £100 so I, being a tight *** thought I would try it myself. I did some fishing from his vast knowledge on stock prep and refinishing and took my Cynrgy home to my workshop.

1st stage was to dismantle the gun right down to bare stock.

2nd stage was to get good old Nitro Morse paint stripper out and give the stock a good lathering.

3rd stage wipe clean with water which also lifts the grain.

4th stage I clamped the stock in my vise (wrapped round a sponge) and use a b*stard file to remove some timber from the comb. I new I had to remove at least 5mm so I took 4mm to start.

5th stage refitted the gun and mounted it in my usual way and could still see a good section of the rib, so back to the filing in the vise. I repeated stage 4 until I could just about disappear the front sight when mounted the gun.

6th stage was down to some sanding. Started with some fairly fine sand paper on the area I had filed and then went up in grades (wetting in between to lift the gain) and to finish off 00 00 wire wool was used to rub the hole stock down.

7th stage once the stock was completely smooth (like a baby's bum) I used Tru Oil gun stock finish in several coats using wire wool in-between (15 coats).

8th stage once completely dry I used Stock Sheen & Conditioner to give a final finish.

Admitadly I was completely sh*ting myself when started to hack away but now I kill 20% more than before and the finish of the gun is better than original.

Chuffed to bits so dont be scared give it a go (if you need to)

power to you son :lol: ,done a few myself , not had to flail off as much ,but have messed around with cast on/off ,palmswells, toe and so ,as a lefty in a righty world ive had my share of greif from the always right rightys right :*) ,so i learnt to shoot as a righty as well as a lefty right,with me so far :D , also good friends of mine do stockwork ,and im not to old or proud as to learn a few new things from them,

all my stocks are now refinished in oil ,even the spare ones ,its always good to learn new skills my friend .

glad it all worked out for you ,oftens the case that a shooter finding a problem with a gun will set to it with the chain saw before finding out the problem is their own not the guns .

Martin

ps very good clips ,was looking to by the 20 gauge or 28 gauge for the mrs ,untill i seen the near $4,000 tag ,she's a diamond but not that many carrets :huh: .

bought me a new 525 instead B)

• 2 months later...

I'd be interested in seeing the finished article too if that's OK?

I'm still brand new to shotgunning, joined this forum this time last year with the intention of sending my SGC forms off for the missus and I but life got in the way and I still have the forms sat here. Will be after Christmas before they get sent as we're just in the process of buying our first house together so it's all change really.

Anyway, the Cynergy really caught my eye when it was launched last year. How do you find it shoots? When I do get round to the SGC app I want a gun for myself that will handle the clays well but also rough shooting too. Does the Cynergy fit that bill would you say?

Cheers,

Marc

Edited by Marc M

Cheers for the advice Martin, as with most things it comes down to budgets, and how much exactly I can afford for my first gun (bearing in mind I will need to buy one for myself and one for 'er indoors :thumbs:). Looking on Guntrader very quickly the Citori's do look lovely, but at an average of £1000 second hand, unfortunately out of my budget right now.

I'm looking at the £400-700 bracket at the minute... £700 for mine, £400 for the missus :lol:

Thanks for the advice anyway, it is always greatly appreciated, the glass is still pretty much empty as far as my knowledge of shotgunning goes..... filling slowly though :sly:

To be honest I've been getting slightly hot under the collar looking at the likes of the 12g O/U Browning Medallist, second hand Beretta 686 silver pigeons and Miroku Mk60. I know it's all down to what suits the individual but would you say these were good choices for the first time buyer on a limited budget?

Marc

if your looking at the mk60, i would go for the mk70, although it has a little more weight over the front as it is multi choke it is almost identicle, for a quite inexperianced shooter you wont notice it (i never have enough to bother me, not saying i am experianced) and you can have multi chokes instead of fixed.

on the other hand, i know a guy who thinks it makes alot of difference, so went the the trouble of getting a grade 3 mk60 in 12g and 20b and then had them fitted with adjustable chokes by one of the big names

cost him an extra £250 ontop of the gun, but he recons it is less muzzle heavy than a mk70.

but i would recomend the mk 70/60, they use the browning action, they are top guns, reliable as anything you will find and basically cheap brownings.

To be honest I've been getting slightly hot under the collar looking at the likes of the 12g O/U Browning Medallist, second hand Beretta 686 silver pigeons and Miroku Mk60. I know it's all down to what suits the individual but would you say these were good choices for the first time buyer on a limited budget?

Marc

the Medalist and the 686 are well prooven platforms with good heratige,if you can find a good condition pc have it looked at by someone with competance and get the all clear you have a gun for life

as far as the Miroku is concerned, its a good gun also, i wouldnt call it a cheap Browning though, Nick i thought you liked them :thumbs: :sly: , they are a good gun with most of the parts made by Browning under licence , i have a 4 barrel skeet set by Miroku, a good quality gun well balanced and well made .

Martin

To be honest I've been getting slightly hot under the collar looking at the likes of the 12g O/U Browning Medallist, second hand Beretta 686 silver pigeons and Miroku Mk60.  I know it's all down to what suits the individual but would you say these were good choices for the first time buyer on a limited budget?

Marc

the Medalist and the 686 are well proven platforms with good heritage,if you can find a good condition pc have it looked at by someone with competance and get the all clear you have a gun for life

as far as the Miroku is concerned, its a good gun also, i wouldnt call it a cheap Browning though, Nick i thought you liked them :thumbs: :sly: , they are a good gun with most of the parts made by Browning under licence , i have a 4 barrel skeet set by Miroku, a good quality gun well balanced and well made .

Martin

i do mate, but thats exactly what they are, a browning marked down in price with slightly lower grade wood, although their grade 3's and 5's are v nice indeed

just out of interest martin, how many shotguns do you have, im starting to get the impression youve made a bit of a habbit of buying them. :lol:

:*) :*) Now you come to mention it ,

lets see if can get it right

11 shotguns, from the top

Browning Citori 525 Sporting w/ Adjustable Comb 32"

Browning Citori 425 gold Sporting 30"

2/ Browning Citori 325 Sporting 1 in 30" 1 in 32"

Miroku MK4 4 barrel skeet set o/u 12/20/28/410 in 28"

Larouna field grade o/u 12g 30"

Berreta (old ) D1 field grade 28" (not to sure what the hell it is $50.00 got it)

Berreta AL391 tecknys x wood s/a 12g 30"

Berreta AL391 urika grade A s/a 20g 30"

Berreta AL390 sporting ported s/a 12g 28"

Remminton 870 20g pump

waiting for news on the order of 2 Winchester super X2's (anodised red )

should be coming b4 xmas , always room in the gunroom for more.

there are 8 handguns 2 air

.50" Desert Eagle auto

.45" Para Ordanace match auto

.45" Springfield auto

.44" mag Ruger Redhawk wheel gun

.357" mag Ruger GP100 wheel gun

.22" Berreta Neos auto

.22" Walther P22 auto

.22" Ruger MK2 match auto

.22" HW45 air

.22" Crossman 14" air

rifles also

7 mm STW Remmington (going shortly)

.22" Ruger 1022 Volquartsen match

.22" Ruger 1022 heavy target match

.22" HW80 air

think thats it, im very lucky to be able to have this many, some guys collect stamps, NOT ME :lol: :o

Martin

p.s. good luck with the shoot Nick :thumbs: :sly: wish i was there ;)

nice collection

wish i could get a go on some handguns, never shot a real hand gun :lol:

p.s i wish you could come, if your ever over this side of the wet stuff let me or LB know (im sure you will) and we will organise a get together

Edited by dunganick

nice collection

wish i could get a go on some handguns, never shot a real hand gun :lol:

p.s i wish you could come, if your ever over this side of the wet stuff let me or LB know (im sure you will) and we will organise a get together

That you can count on Nick,there's a few guys i'd like to meet face to face from PW

it would be nice to see them. :lol::lol:

i supose i am collector of sorts, if i take a fancy to a gun, usualy i find someone with it and try it then buy it if i like it, it does become a little logistical exorcise getting everything i need in the truck ready to go

And the same goes Nick ,if your ever over here ,work your shoulder for a few weeks beforehand ,you'l be doing a ot of shooting with me :lol:

Martin

Edited by the last engineer

Cheers for the advice Martin, as with most things it comes down to budgets, and how much exactly I can afford for my first gun (bearing in mind I will need to buy one for myself and one for 'er indoors :lol:). Looking on Guntrader very quickly the Citori's do look lovely, but at an average of £1000 second hand, unfortunately out of my budget right now.

I'm looking at the £400-700 bracket at the minute... £700 for mine, £400 for the missus :lol:

Thanks for the advice anyway, it is always greatly appreciated, the glass is still pretty much empty as far as my knowledge of shotgunning goes..... filling slowly though :lol:

I found a lovely Browning B425 g1 on G/Trader for £750 a year ago. Went to see the guy and ended up giving £720. It had hardly fired a shell at the time and is still a great gun for me.

I found a lovely Browning B425 g1 on G/Trader for £750 a year ago. Went to see the guy and ended up giving £720. It had hardly fired a shell at the time and is still a great gun for me.

Thanks Sarg, good advise!

One of the PW members on here has advised of a local shop to try, Bamfords of Chorley, as apparently they carry most brands of shotgun new and also have a decent second hand selection. It may be wise of me to have a look there first, just to get a physical idea what the differences between the brands, and then between the individual models is, before getting carried away oggling the guntrader boards!

Need my SGC first anyway, so hands are pretty much tied until that is sent off.

• 2 years later...