R.I.P Bailey

JDsniper

I may be a bit soft but just want to try and warn you guys as not to over look any symptom in your dogs and don't lets the vets fobb you off. We all no our dogs and we no when they not well.

I am saying this as i had to make the hardest decision ever.

I have to put my best mate to sleep on Sunday due a short fight over the injury's sustained from i cocktail stick.

He was my shadow and only 3 years old.

this is what happened and thank you for all your kind words

Bailey was my best mate we did every thing together.

What happened was last week he started being sick late in the evenings two nights in a row so i thought it was a bug so i starved him for 24 hours and then started him off on plain rice again yet again he was sick so i made a appointment at the vet who i always used off we went he gave him a full exam me thinking he had a blockage now suggested this to the vet who checked his belly nothing. so he gave him some anti vomiting drugs and antibiotics.

next evening the same happened i was convinced it was a blockage now as he was fine in every other way. So i called the vet again and they said come back and we will do blood tested as i could not feel anything in his stomach. i asked the cost and explained i was fully ensured but could not get the cash that day. they turned around and said we will not touch him. at this point i was stressing as my boy was not right.

so i called the new vet down the road explained what was going on and they made a appointment to see him that afternoon.

off we went had the exam and the vet said my worst night mare i can feel a soft lump in the abdomen.

So we arrange to have him in next morning for xray.

Next day arrives take bailey to the vet and wile he asleep vet does another exam and a xray but before he even looks at the xray he phones me to say there is a swelling the size of a grape fruit and we want to open him up i say yes.

Later that afternoon vets nurse calls they have him on the table and have found a cocktail stick wedged between his spleen and abdomen wall and his intestines are all wrapped up in a mass the size of a foot ball. They continue with the op saying that we come this far lets do what ever we can.

so the op is over the vet calls me again the cocktail stick had pierced the intestine causing it to leak and all wrap up and scared together they pulled as much apart as poss but had to remove 50cm also the removed the stick. but bailey was stable.

it was a bit touch and go as he recovered over the next 24h. But he made it through and after 2 days was ok but not eating and very depressed.

well the weekend was here and they suggested he come home to the people he loved so i could nurse him.

he came home after all there hard work and seemed to be on the mend it was hard work giving him the large amount of pills but i managed he also began to eat for his self which was fantastic.

then early hours of sun i was asleep next to him and he began to whine i thought it was pain so gave him the pain killers and he settled.

during the morning he went off his feet and his belly became solid. i rushed him to the emergency vet and as soon as i saw there face i new. his bowl was just not strong enough after being wrapped up and pulled apart and he had developed peritonitis his abdomen was full of poison. they said we could treat it but it would be very aggressive treatment and no guarantee.

so i made the decision as i have always said i would never let either of them suffer.

so i was with him till the end 18.10pm i brought him home a layed him to rest in his favourite place in the garden.

I will never forget him

Hope i haven't gone on folks it just was such a shoke as the morning of the op he walked 3 mile to the school he was fine.

the vet did say he does not no how he survived this long but i cant thank the second vet enough he listened to me about bailey and did everything he could do. even came back in his own time to care for him. And they dident concern over the payment Bailey was the main concern.

and i still don't no were the cocktail stick came from as we do not have any in the house

just so fast Thursday to Sunday then he was gone and only 3

post-3885-1253221092.jpg

Edited by JayDJones

Bailey was my best mate we did every thing together.

What happened was last week he started being sick late in the evenings two nights in a row so i thought it was a bug so i starved him for 24 hours and then started him off on plain rice again yet again he was sick so i made a appointment at the vet who i always used off we went he gave him a full exam me thinking he had a blockage now suggested this to the vet who chaeck his belly nothing. so he gave him some anti vomiting drugs and antibiotics.

next evening the same happend i was convinced it was a blockage now as he was fine in every other way. So i called the vet again and they said come back and we will do blood teated as i could not feel anthing in his stomch. i asked the cost and expalined i was fully ensured but could not get the cash that day. they turned around and said we will not touch him. at this point i was stressing as my boy was not right.

so i called the new vet down the road expalind what was going on and they made a appointment to see him that afternoon.

off we went had the exam and the vet said my worst night mare i can feel a soft lump in the abdomen.

So we arrange to have him in next morning for xray.

Next day arrives take bailey to the vet and wile he asleep vet does another exam and a xray but before he evan looks at the xray he phones me to say there is a swelling the size of a grape fuite and we want to open him up i say yes.

Later that afternoon vets nurse calls they have him on the table and have found a cocktail stick wedged between his spleen and abdomen wall and his intestines are all wraped up in a mass the size of a foot ball. They continue with the op saying that we come this far lets do what ever we can.

so the op is over the vet calls me again the cocktail stick had perced the intestine causing it to leak and all wrap up and scare together the pulled as much apart as poss but had to remove 50cm also the removed the stick. but bailey was stable.

it was a bit touch and go as he recovered over the next 24h. But he made it through and after 2 days was ok but not eating and very depressed.

well the weekend was here and they suggested he come home to the people he loved so i could nurse him.

he came home after all there hard work and seemed to be on the mend it was hard work giving him the large amount of pills but i managed he also began to eat for his self which was fantastic.

then early hours of sun i was asleep next to him and he began to whine i thought it was pain so gave him the pain killers and he settled.

during the morning he went off his feet and his belly became solid. i rushed him to the emergency vet and as soon as i saw there face i new. his bowl was just not strong enough after being wraped up and pulled apart and he had developed peritenitus his abdomen was full of poison. they said we could treat it but it would be very agrssive treatment and no gaurantee.

so i made the deceshion as i have always said i would never let either of them suffer.

so i was with him till the end 18.10pm i brought him home a layed him to rest in his favourite place in the garden.

I will never forget him

Hope i havent gone on folks it just was such a shoke as the morning of the op he walked 3 mile to the school he was fine.

the vet did say he does not no how he survived this long but i carnt thank the secound vet enough he listend to me about bailey and did everything he could do. even came back in his own timew to care for him. And they dident concern over the payment Bailey was the main concern.

and i still dont no were the cocktail stick came from as we do not have any in the house

just so fast tursday to sunday then he was gone and only 3

it just came accross as if they were just after my cash not the welfare of my boy

Most vets are mate, there are some excellent ones about as well. If i was you i'd never go back to the first vets again, the second vet seemed decent enough off your post so thats where my money would go in future

So sorry for your loss, but you did an amazing thing being strong for him to not let him suffer.

Remember and hold onto the good times, and the memories you have.

You're not soft at all, our dogs become part of our heart, it is a special special thing.

Hope you are coping, sympathies are with you.